69 Replies Latest reply: Mar 24, 2012 10:57 PM by 2roberts888 Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Problems connecting to Slingbox Pro via 3G

ludlow60

I'm also having a problem since the last iphone player update both on my iphone and ipad (using Slingplayer mobile).

No problems at all using Wi-Fi, both from my own home hotspot or any other hotspot outside the home. It connects and plays well, but when I switch to 3G I get an error which says, "SlingPlayer cannot connect to your slingbox. Please make sure your phone and slingbox are connected to the Internet and try again."

I'm not having any other issues on either iphone or ipad on the Internet via 3G and this only happened after the last update. I have also deleted the app, reinstalled and restarted the ipad and iphone. I also use two different carriers for my 3G on iphone and ipad so its not carrier based.

I am not having any problems at any other site using my Windows Slingplayer. Interestingly it actually plays fne when I use my 3G router via Wi-Fi.

My partner hasn't yet upgraded to the latest version on her ipad and iphone and hers is working fine on 3G. Theres a problem obviously with the latest update.

Can you guys roll back the last update until the problem is resolved.

• Re: Problems connecting to Slingbox Pro via 3G
          ludlow60

I'm not sure what you guys have done, but the Slingbox is now working fine on 3G on both the ipad and iphone.

All good, now I can watch the football on the weekend at my beach house...

Thanks guys...

jtrembath

I am also having problems on 3G. Have just downloaded latest sling player for the iPhone (again). No change. It works ok on WiFi but it refuses to work on 3G (Telstra). iPhone is running latest IOS 4.3. All other Apps that access the internet using 3G work ok. Can also view the Guide OK, just cannot stream.

rnaderi

I have the exact same problem that all of you are experiencing, but I spent over 4 hours trying to troubleshoot it by changing my router setting, slingbox setting, iPhone 3Gs setting and nothing worked... then all of the sudden both of our iPhone 3Gs are now working and we can all of the sudden stream Slingbox over 3G and of course it works fine over WiFi.  I troubleshooted everything one at a time and nothing that I did to my settings made it work, because I reverted the changes back each time it did not work over 3G.

I wish I found this forum posting before spending all that time on troubleshooting but I'm glad to see I'm not alone on this issue and this last update has affect others out there too.  I'm curious to know if any of you are having issues only on iPhone 3G, 3Gs, or 4.

I know the Slingbox staff are not going to act fast on fixing this and I am going to connect and not connect and get the same message all of you are receiving each time I use 3G connection.   I really hope they don't take long to look for a fix and keep telling people to reinstall the app, because that's not going to work, it's only a quick band-aid fix and hoping the problem will go away.  Well we are not going away and it's not just 1 or 2 people complaing, there is a long line of us and we appreciate a response from your staff and give us ETA on when we can expect this to be resolve.

psoong

I'm having the exact same problem with both my iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4. It seems like ever since the new 4.3 update, I've been unable to connect to my Slingbox via 3G. Anyone with iOS 4.3 able to connect to their Slingbox via 3G?

fleshee

I can't connect over 3g either and my 3gs is running on IOS 4.2. Through BT network. Anyone else in Uk having similar issues

jginfl

if i turn my iphone 4 off then back on it seems to work on 3g.Getting old this way

ferguspa Apprentice

I had my iPhone 3GS replaced and after restoring the current version of Slingplayer Mobile to the replacement 3GS I now have problems with connecting over 3G to my Slingbox AV.

- The first time I connect to the Slingbox over 3G after a phone restart or redownload of Slingplayer Mobile it works

- All subsequent attempts over 3G do not connect, never getting past "Locating..."

- WiFi always works

- Setting up a direct connection (and not using the Slingbox directory entry provided by sling.com) does work over 3G and works reliably

Seems reasonable to conclude something is wrong with Slingplayer Mobile's ability to find the Slingbox via 3G.

thenet Newbie

Mine was working fine this whole week and now i am getting same problem using 3G on my phone. I think it is Slingbox server causing the problem of  connecting. I remember this was a big mess last year when it was down for 2 days.

rgXGtJOrpm

Same situation, after upgrade pf mobile player, it only works in wifi, no 3G anymore. I leave in italy and use Vodafone connection. Anyone has a solution or knows the way to downgrade to older version of mobile player ?

tgc327

Replaced my original Slingbox Solo, which lightning fried, and am also now having problems connecting via 3G on my iPhone 4 with latest OS.  After playing around with it I find that I can disable 3G and Slingplayer Mobile  connects fine over the EDGE network.  I then turn 3G back on and it connects through that - strange.  The next day it won't connect through 3G again, but by disabling and reenabling 3G it works again - go figure!

On further investigation, I found that Slingplayer Mobile connects fine over 3G after closing all "open" programs (I had about 10 listed when I double-clicked the home button).  Maybe it's some strange memory thing??

ACC1267510

Nope - same problem for me with my 3GS - doesn't get passed "Connecting". Tried re-installing app, switching 3G off and back on, closing all other apps in the task bar (double tap home). Has anyone got a genuine fix for this????

rgXGtJOrpm

No way: I have re-installed the iphone app, closed all running programs, stopped and restarted 3g, reconfigured port 5001 on the router....Nothing, it works on wifi (at home ar away), but not on 3g network by Vodafone Italy. Is the Slingbox team doing something ? Does anyone know if the previous version 1.1 can be found ?

SONY007

I've been having the same issue for the last 2 weeks. What I remember is updating to the latest version of slingplayer and this is when the samemproblem started being unable to connect over 3G, I downgraded back down to the earlier version of 1.3 I think it was and it initially worked when I tested out, but then the same problem. I'm using an Iphone 4 and my carrier is T-mobile. As mentioned by others previously, everything else works over 3G except Sling. **** I thought it was just me as I mentioned this on another forum and they all said things were sweet, maybe it just hasn't got to them as yet ;-)

Even if someone fines out a solution how to fix this I would still like to know what has cause this to happen in the first place and was it meant.

tgc327

While waiting for my wife this morning I opened Slingplayer Mobile (iPhone 4) and it wouldn't connect through the 3G network.  I tried EDGE, which worked for me before (see above post) and it still wouldnt connect.  I then closed all apps still in the background and, voila!, it connects through 3G.  For me at least it appears to be a memory or perhaps a port conflict issue.  The next time it happens I'm going to close the apps one at a time to try to isolate the conflict.

For those who've tried closing background apps and it didn't work for you, have you tried disabling notifications to see if that helps?  I suggest that just as a possibility to help isolate the problem.  I have notifications disabled currently on my iPhone.

gubu22

I too cannot connect my iphone 4 via 3g. My carrier is Vodafone ES. Could someone please tell me how to close all open programmes. Does this mean I lose the apps I have downloaded? apologies if my query seems simple- i'm not a techie.

tgc327

First, no, you will not lose any apps you've downloaded.  You're just closing apps that the iPhone saves for it's version of multitasking.  Double-tap the home button ( the button below the screen) and a list of background apps will come up.  Tap-and-hold on one of the apps and they'll start "dancing" and a "-" will appear on the top-left of each one.  Tap the "-" to close the apps.  Good luck!

mrgem1965

I've had the same problem with my i4 and my ladies i4,tried and erased the background task and both phones work fine with my slingbox,pass the word,I treid all of the other TS techniques nothing worked but that,it's the phone,again tap your home button twice,you will get some apps at the bottom,press and hold any one of them,they will start to wiggle and a red dash will appear on the top,press and delete all apps,you will not lose the apps at all,this is like clearing your cookies but you will not lose the app,afterwards i was able to connect to my SB over 3g,E or wi-fi,at first I could only get wi-fi,good luck and pass it on

SONY007

So no real solution found as yet to fix the slingplayer!

gubu22

Thanks for your reply tgc. I have done as you say and the apps appear almost indistinguisable on a grey background. When I tap and hold on one of the apps. and it starts dancing, an "x" appears and not an "-" in the top left hand corner. When I tap on the "x" it states "deleting this app. will also delete all of its data". Does the fact that the apps. appear on a grey background mean that I have no running apps? Help appreciated.

tgc327

What you're looking at is the apps themselves, not the background app icons.  You WILL delete the app from the phone if you tap that "x" and then tap OK.  If you've done that you can get the app back be syncing the phone with iTunes or by going to the iTunes store on the phone and re-downloading the app.

To see the background apps you need to push the home button twice rapidly.  The home button is that round button at the bottom, under the lighted portion of the screen.  A "strip" should show up at the bottom of the screen with a line of running programs.  There will be blank screen (except for your background) above it.   You should definitely have icons there if you've used any apps.  You should also be able to swipe that bottom strip from left to right and get the iPod controls, and swipe once more and see the volume controls.

Good luck.  Let me know if I can help in any way.

SONY007

Ok I think I may have of found out what we need to do to get slingplayer working again over 3G.

login on the computer @  slingbox.com, it has to be the one your slingbox is connected too

click 'watch' at the top then 'setbox setup' then  'get started', after a minute it should you show your slingbox in the middle of the screen, now you need to click 'setup internet viewing' and just wait for that to be complete...fingers crossed you should now be good to go when you see satellite tv program appear.  Remember you can only sign in at one location so close that down first or just click the slingbox home buttom  at the top left of the screen before you try to sign in on another location.

I hope this helped most of you if not all.

tgc327

I did that when I installed the new Slingbox, set up port forwarding on the router and ran the test, which it passed.  Still it wouldn't connect through 3G when I tried it.  However, if anyone with the problem hasn't done this it's certainly worth a shot.

Since we have people using different providers and also running different apps it may not be possible to find a single fix that works for everyone.

jmccartney

Exactly the same problem.

First time user of Slingplayer for iPhone 4 on Vodafone UK.

Works fine on WiFi all the time.  Works fine on 3G after soft reset and continues to work on 3G unless I connect by WiFi, then next time I try to connect on 3G it doesn't work.

Surely this has to be a Sling problem.  I hope someone fixes this soon as it is very annoying, considering the price of the app.

rvh13

I was also unable to connect to my Slingbox Solo using my iPhone.  It would not connect over 3G or WiFi.  I was able to connect from my iBook Pro, and from my Mac Mini, using the SlingPlayer software or from Safari at Slingbox.com.  To add to the confusion, I was also able to connect using an iPad with the same SlingPlayer Mobile software (not the dedicated iPad version) which would not connect from my iPhone.

I was able to resolve the problem by updating the firmware running on my Slingbox.  Now I have no problem connecting from my iPhone.

I don't know if this will resolve the problem for anyone else, but it is certainly worth a try.

I used to work doing second tier tech support (for DBAs, SysAdmins, and SW developers), and the very first thing we would check is if they were using the latest software.  If not, we would have them upgrade, and this resolved around 50% of the problems.

Good luck to everyone.

PdhBeck

I have the same problem with slingbox pro. I can however connect to my slingbox solo with no problems over 3G. I have found that if I disable wifi even if I am not connected over wifi that the 3G connection will work to connect to the slingbox pro.

Resist Newbie

I also can't connect over the 3G network!  A few days ago it was kind of working, it would connect and then start freezing up.  But now it won't work at all on 3G.  Seems to still work fine over my home Wifi though.

trachyte

Same exact problems as all of the above.  Lame, sling.  Really lame.

vibaby

Have you folks tried Sony007 fix above? It works perfectly. I've been just fine since I tried it. And tech support says there is a way to fix it, you just have to pay to find out what it is. On this thread the fix is FREE!

Resist Newbie

This so called fix, didn't help me.  I followed the procedure to the letter, yet I still am getting freezing with this app over a 3G connection.

One thing I noticed is that Sling still doesn't have my router choice for the setup, a Linksys WRT160N.

tgc327

My router, a newer 2Wire from AT&T U-verse, wasn't listed either.  I had to manually go into the router's settings and do the port forwarding.  If you don't know how to do this, go into the Slingbox setup and chose a router from the same manufacturer as your and follow the tutorial for manual setup - it should be close enough for you to set yours.

No, this solution didn't work for me either, as I'd done that when I first set up the new Slingbox.  Just an hour ago I tried to watch the news over the 3G network and got that annoying "can't connect" message, the same as I've gotten at least a half-dozen times in the last couple of weeks.  I double-clicked the home button on my iPhone 4, closed the "running" Slingplayer Mobile, restarted it and it connected.  This has worked for me every single time it has refused to connect.  Don't know why, don't care - I just know that it works for me.

tgc327

Anyone else notice an improvement after the iOS 4.3 update?  I installed it on my iPhone 4 a couple of days ago, and ever since then Slingplayer Mobile has connected over 3G every single time without that "can't connect" message.   Could just be a coincidence.

gmalis1

Previously had the same problems as everyone else regarding difficulty connecting with 3G after using WiFi, and vice versa.

Today, I downloaded the latest plugin for the web SlingPlayer.

Mysteriously, I can now go from WiFi to 3G and back again on my iPhone4 without any error messages.

How strange is that?

wgeclipse

I can connect via wifi and AT&T edge network, still a no go via 3g on iPhone 3gs

ACC235000

Yep, doesn't work on att iphone 4.  Was working two weeks ago but not anymore.  I have no clue how to fix it.  Works fine on wifi.  Also works fine with ipad on wifi.  I tried what sony said but couldn't get that working either. Can't think its an issue with my router. It worked fine 2 weeks ago and I've had this router at least 6 months.

gmalis1

Well, the problem has returned again.  No SlingPlayer connection on 3G after running it on WiFi network.

The solution that works for me, as has been stated previously, is terminating the SlingPlayer app (double click the Home button, then hold the SlingPlayer icon until the red "minus" sign appears, then click on that minus sign). 

Works fine with that stupid workaround, which shouldn't need to done.

And as the developers of SlingPlayer usually do, it will probably months and months and months before there is ever a fix for this.

This could be dealt with if this was a free app, but it's a $30 app. 

Come on...fix this already.  It's been long enough.

ACC1134337

It is possible that this issue of 3G is common to many users and that the problem was not solved yet! I have contacted support several times to report the problem but it's been over two months and the problem was not solved yet!
                                                                                It 's a problem slingmedia iPhone version! The Android version works without problems! We spent a lot of money when you decide to fix this !?!?!?!

tgc327

There's a Slingplayer Mobile update on the Apple store which is suppose to fix these 3G issues - hope it works.

tinakimms

I am having the same problem. I cannot connect with my ipad using 3g. I have tried many of the remedies that others have suggested and I am still looking for answers. please help!!!!

2roberts888

Same problem, also get a hdcp error on the iPad.