Just noticed today that the "Slingplayer for Web" fails to launch on my Windows 10 Pro version 1607 laptop. The SlingplayerforWeb.exe in version 184.108.40.2062. This has worked previously on this particular laptop connecting to my M2 Slingbox.
My first troubleshooting step was to see if I could connect using my Android phone on my home wifi. It connected no problem, letting me know the issue wasn't my Slingbox, nor my gateway. Next, I uninstalled the SlingplayerforWeb program. I then went on my Chrome browser, and tried to connect using the http://newwatch.slingbox.com/ website. This forced a reinstall of the SlingplayerforWeb program, but it still failed to launch the SlingplayerforWeb window. I then tried using the Edge browser, but it too failed to launch the SlingplayerforWeb window, although the SlingplayerforWeb.exe process is running in Windows Task Manager, and the SlingplayerforWeb icon shows up near the clock on the windows taskbar tray.
I then decided to try running the program on my desktop (Windows 10 Pro version 1607). Since I had never run SlingplayerforWeb on the desktop, it had me install the SlingplayerforWeb program prior to running it for the first time. After the install, it DID launch the SlingplayerforWeb window, and I was able to connect to my Slingbox.
Here is where it gets interesting. Since I hadn't used my desktop (was turned off) for the past 2 weeks, no Windows updates had occurred. So while I watch TV through the SlingplayerforWeb window, I had the computer install updates. After the updates installed, I needed to reboot the desktop. After the reboot, I attempted to use the SlingplayerforWeb interface to stream from my Slingbox. Now the program never launched. I believe one of the Windows updates is interfering with the SlingplayerforWeb program. Here is a list of the updates that were installed on my PC:
- Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3150513)
- Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2, 2016 x64 Edition - March 2017 (KB890830)
- Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1607 (for x64-based Systems) (KB4014329)
- Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4013418)
- Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4013429)
- Security Update for Microsoft Silverlight (KB4013867)
Something in one of these updates is preventing the SlingplayerforWeb window from ever launching. Here is a video of the SlingplayerforWeb attempting to load, but failing: