7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 12, 2012 8:29 AM by little_alien RSS

Connection to Virgin Media V+ Box

oldustt

I have just bought a SlingBox Pro-HD, the back of my Virgin Media box does not appear to have any of the connection post to connect to the SlingBox. Does anyone know how to connect to Virgin Media cable or is this not possible?

Thanks Nick

• Re: Connection to Virgin Media V+ Box
          dbsguy Apprentice

Read my posts in this thread for your choices:

https://community.sling.com/message/37604#37604

oldustt

Thanks for this. The only Scart to lead adaptor I have is for the red, white and yellow leads (rather than red, blue and green) Should these still work OK and should I keep the HDMI lead that goes from the V+ Box to the TV in place?

Thanks Nick

dbsguy Apprentice

due to the way the virgin box software and hardware is configured, you can not output any other ype of signal when HDMI is being used.

Get a SCART to Component audio/video adapter and hook it up to the slingbox pro, then out of the slingbox pro using a standard component audio/video cable to the TV as I indicated in the thread I linked you to.

This is also the only way you will get HD to your slingbox (1080i). The composite cable you already have (the red/white/yellow SCART cable adapter) only supports SD (standard definition @ 480i)

67Mustang

I've just bought a Slingbox SOLO and am trying to connect it to my Virgin V+ (Scientific Atlanta) cable box.

The set up process has recognised the Slingbox on the network, so that part is fine.  I've connected component leads from the component outs on the V+ box to the component ins on the Slingbox and the audio leads from the audio outs of the V+ to the audio ins of the Slingbox.

I then changed the V+ cable box settings from 'Hi Def HDMI' to 'Hi Def Component' and disconnected the HDMI lead from the V+ box.

When I try to get a video signal in the Slingbox set up process, it either shows no video but has audio, or a broken video picture with audio.  If I then try to set up the remote (chose Virgin V+ but am aware from other posts that Telewest TV Drive is an alternative option), I lose any video signal that is there.

Am I missing something here, or is it better/ easier to just use the SCART adapter?

Thanks

alanrichey42 Master

You 'appear' to have done the right thing     What happens if you connect the Component output from the V+ box to a TV ?   If you get a dodgy picture then obviously the box is broken.   If it is OK, what happens if you plug them into the 'Component In' on the Slingbox and then connect the 'Component Out' of the Slingbox to the TV ?

Setting up the remote should have no effect on the video which does point to a dodgy Slingbox.

67Mustang

Thanks for your quick response.  I've tried connecting the V+ box directly to my TV with the component cables and can't get a picture, which would obviously suggest that the component outs of the V+ box is the problem (I also disconnected the HDMI cable to avoid any conflicts with the digital signal).

I then tried the SCART/ composite connections from the V+ box to the Slingbox (and TV), which now shows a picture in the Slingbox setup screen, but no audio (the virtual remote is also not responding, but I may just need to pay around with the placement of the IR senders).

I seem to recall reading somewhere else on the forum about audio problems with a V+ box, so will look into that and report back.

Thanks

little_alien

Hi

I have a slingbox solo

I had an upgrade to a V+ box ( scientific tlanta 8300 box) today as above,

so i changed to Composite plugged into the tv and get a picture fine...

Howver im not getting any of the Caption boxes. / menus / Tv guide

I have the scart plugged into the v++ box and the adapter changes to the 3 composite as normal.

It worked fine on the previous box.. hmmm -

I swicthed back to hdmi into the tv and the menus appear again. confused..

UPDATE -

I read this post and bobs your uncle all sorted

good times...

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1120768