9 Replies Latest reply: Jun 16, 2011 5:39 PM by jaredp Branched to a new discussion. RSS

64 Bit Sling Plugin for SL? When?

javab0y Newbie

Hi.  I am interested in when you guys are going to build a 64 bit plugin for Safari and Firefox.  With Firefox going to v4 and Safari already deeply embedded in 64 bit, its extremely annoying that I need to switch Safari to 32 bits.  Its so bad that when I switch to 32 bits, other programs who have deprecated 32 bits will not work (like 1password).

So I guess the big question is when are you going to get on the 64 bit bandwagon like the rest of the world?  Just interested ;-)

• Re: 64 Bit Sling Plugin for SL? When?
          vancanfan67 Newbie

I second the question....it would probably help with the slow connection problem I am having with my new macbook.

jponch

++ on needing a 64-bit sling plugin! This is ridiculous. You're already treating the Mac like a second-class citizen by only allowing the web-based player (which doesn't seem to respond to remote or key commands!), so the whole 32-bit thing just adds insult to injury

ekfaith

Was going to post this exact same subject last night. Firefox v4 has made its way to 64bit and based on the latest RC version it doesn't play nice with SL even when running in 32 bit mode. I've been a fan of SL for a long time but I'm starting to think this company is getting a little too big for its britches considering the lack of quality in the recent iPad and iPhone products as well as the outdated version of slingplayer for Mac OSx.

javab0y Newbie

Still crickets from the Slingbox folks.  I really wish they would answer.  Yes... they have deprecated the app which I thought was nice while it lasted and they aren't keeping up with the software (64 bit Safari and now FF4).

Sling folk... if you aren't willing or have the bandwidth to keep up with the software, may I recommend that you open source the plugins/App on github and let the community take over?  We would be more than happy to keep that software up to date ;-)

But in the mean time.. how about an answer with a road map for the releases?  Its not an unreasonable question!