4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 28, 2011 11:44 AM by jimfitzgerald RSS

Is Controlling A Device Through Slingbox Necessary

lkratter

I have a complex rack based av setup.  I have various devices going into a component video switcher controllable by a Universal Remote. The output from the video switcher goes by wire to a wireless battery operated tv with a receiver. The TV is failing and they no longer make this model.

I want to replace the TV with a laptop and hook the output from the video switcher into the Slingbox Solo so I can use a laptop as a wireless tv.  I have a high speed network and have no issues with streaming Netflix now. (The hookup from the Slingbox to the network would be wired.)

I could then control the video switcher with my existing remote which controls all my player devices.

Is there a way to set up the Slingbox Solo so it is always on and simply streams the video source that it is receiving without trying to control anything with the Slingbox software.?

• Re: Is Controlling A Device Through Slingbox Necessary
          jimfitzgerald Apprentice

That's exactly how a Slingbox works.  It is always on and sending the signal to your router.  When you use the Slingbox virtual remote, you aren't controlling the Slingbox, you are controlling the cable box or whatever you have connected to the IR blaster.  In your case, you wouldn't even need to use the IR blaster.  Your problem is you won't be able to control anything except when at home, using your physical remote control.

Edit:  If you were also interested in watching tv while away from home, you can run another cable (s-video or composite) from your cable box directly to your Slingbox.  Then you would use splitters for your audio cables to send audio to the Slingbox.  You would install the IR blaster on your cable box.  This would allow you to watch tv over the internet and control your cable box using the SlingMedia virtual remote.  You would need to zero out the volume from your other source since they are merged into the same L/R audio input on the Slingbox SOLO.  I am doing this to access both my cable box and ROKU with a single Slingbox SOLO.

lkratter

Thanks, that answers my question and is a very interesting idea.

That got me to thinking.  If you had the Slingbox Pro HD, I assume I could use the Virtual Remote to determine what input source is going out over the internet and could put the IR blaster on one of the input sources.

My problem with the remote control was the ability of the two separate IR flashers to be on a single box because of the size of the IR receiver port.

By the way, have you had any issues watching on the laptop end with a wireless connection with the high speed network on the transmitting end

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

I am not very familiar with the Slingbox Pro-HD.  The Slingbox SOLO comes with a single IR blaster cable that is split and has two flashers.  I put one flasher on my cable box and one on my ROKU.  When you log onto your Slingbox via WIFI or internet, you can choose your input source.  I have my cable box connected via component and my ROKU via composite.  When watching my cable box, the ROKU is silent and not an issue.  When watching Netflix via my ROKU, I have to first silence my cable box by turning it off or turning the volume down.  I don't use the Slingbox for ROKU very often because I can access Netflix directly from my laptop.  However, I do use the Slingbox and ROKU to access Netflix when viewing on my Motorola Droid.  That's because there is no Netflix app available yet for the Droid.  Viewing quality is a function of upload speed at home and download speed where ever you are.  I have had good results even when using 3G to my Droid.

lkratter

Thanks that is very helpful.  I was thinking about the issue you raised in order to be able to use on the I Pad or I Phone.

From a practical point of view, I would watch the Netflix directly instead of through my LG Blu Ray which has that access. So the issue is watching the Direct TV box.

Once I have this working, I will do a posting to advise others of any issues.