8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 2, 2011 7:09 AM by abarre RSS

Privacy

abarre

Hello !

Do you know if my slingbox and my phone are directly connected or if the data flow is transmitted from my Slingbox to some Sling Media servers which transmit it to my phone then ?

Thanks in advance.

• Re: Privacy
          jimfitzgerald Apprentice

If you download the SlingPlayer Mobile app to your phone, then yes.  That's how it works.

abarre

You mean that it's the Sling Media servers which make video conversion for mobile, not the Slingbox itself ? So I guess that's why the SingPlayer mobile app isn't free.

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

I'm not sure if I understand your question.  You can log onto your Slingbox with your laptop or smartphone via WIFI at your house.  In this case, I don't think anything is going through SlingMedia.  When you are away from home and log onto your Slingbox, the signal is going from your Slingbox to your router to SlingMedia to your laptop or smartphone.  The app is not free because someone developed it and decided to sell it rather than give it away for free.

abarre

You understood quite well my question : I thought that maybe the connection between my Slingbox and my phone or laptop was established by SlingMedia, and then my Slingbox was able to stream directly to my phone or laptop without going through Sling Media, but according to you it is not !

Thanks for your help

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

When you're at home, connected to your router via WIFI, you can connect to your Slingbox without going throught the internet or SlingMedia.  When you're away from home, you have to connect via the internet.  It this case it does go through SlingMedia.   I still don't understand your question.  The thread title is about "privacy," and then you asked why the SlingPlayer Mobile app is not free.

abarre

The question about SlingPlayer Mobile app was secondary, I just wondered why it wasn't included in the Slingbox price.

My real question was about "privacy" : indeed, we've been using a Slingbox solution to stream some TV channels to iPhones and now we want to stream some confidential videos and the fact that the stream systematically goes throught SlingMedia is an issue for the company I work for. I was hoping that SlingMedia would only initiate the connection between the Slingbox and the iPhone (a sort of IP adresses and encryption keys exchange), and then that the Slingbox and the iPhone would communicate directly with each other, without SlingMedia.

I hope I'm clear enough, please forgive my poor english if not.

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

There is no way I would stream anything confidential.  The signal goes to your router (risk).  From your router it goes to your internet provider (risk).  From your internet provider, it goes to SlingMedia (risk).  From SlingMedia it goes to your cell phone provider (risk).  From you cell phone provider it goes to your IPhone via 3G/4G (risk).  There are way too many places for someone to hack into your data stream.

abarre

I agree with you, streaming goes against confidentiality. But given that the Slingbox pro encrypts the flow before streaming it, we had considered using it : it's cheap, it works well and the quality is good enough.