20 Replies Latest reply: Aug 29, 2011 8:56 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

Looking for Comcast silver remote

Manms

I have a Comcast DCH3416 cable box.  When I choose that model during set up of my sling box I don't get the silver remote pictured below.  I tried all there Comcast cable box options but I keep getting the attached remote.  Does anyone know where I can find the Comcast silver remote below?

• Re: Looking for Comcast silver remote
          alanrichey42 Master

If you use the standalone version of Slingplayer rather than the more limited web-player you can check the Menu option - Connect > Remote Keys  and you might find more than one remote listed and the silver one might be amongst them.

If not, come back for Plan B

Manms

Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately, the only other remote option is the basic remote.  What's plan B?

alanrichey42 Master

Try this Custom Remote

Manms

I'll try that.  But why is a custom remote required?  I'm surprised since the silver remote is the most widely deployed remote for Comcast.  Shouldn't the silver remote be the default skin?

alanrichey42 Master

No idea, I'll have to let someone from SlingMedia comment on that.

Manms

Al,

So do you agree they don't have the skin for this remote?

How do I get the Sling people to comment on this?

Perhaps I should resubmit my idea on the remotes forum.

M

alanrichey42 Master
                                  So do you agree they don't have the skin for this remote?

They do have the skin, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to build the Custom Remote.  I just don't know which model they have mapped it to in the built-in list.   What's your problem with using the Custom Remote ?

How do I get the Sling people to comment on this?

They monitor this forum and regularly post replies.  The problem is that they.very rarely actually give any real information, it appears that all they are authorised to do is point you to articles already in the SlingMedia knowledge base.  And something like this is way beyond that.

Manms

Thanks Al.

The custom remote works great.  Just a couple of comments:

1. The skin you're using is actual the Comcast platinum remote which is used for the new RNG STBs.  The buttons all look the same but it's just a darker gray versus the lighter colored silver remote.  But I'm not complaining.  This will work great for me.
                                      2. Is there any way to program the Exit key?  This key is very important to quickly jump out of the menu or from VOD.

Thanks for all your help.

Regards,

M

alanrichey42 Master

Interesting, C1283 used to display this image:   Sling must have updated it while I wasn't looking    The Exit key is programmed with the Exit code and no-one else has ever mentioned a problem so not sure why it isn't wroking for you.   Can you learn your exit key using the system at http://remotes.sling.com ?  Then if you post the resulting myRemote/lrz file I can see what the code is for you.

Image1.jpg

kellyann

I'm a new user, and have been setting this up last week on my home computers (IBM ThinkPad and hp Pavilion dv9000) and my work computer (Mac PowerBook).  I've downloaded this custom remote.  (Thanks!)  Do I need to put the .bin files onto each new computer I use it on or once I configure the remote properly on one computer is it fine on them all?

I also have a problem accessing the 'Exit' key on this remote.

The weird thing I notice is that when I run it on the Mac, I see a silver remote with working 'Exit' button; when I run it on the PC, dark grey remote and unusable 'Exit' button.

I'm not sure if I'm adding anything useful here, or just am seconding that the problem does exist.

On a separate note, is there a way to program the 30-second skip (i.e. 00173) to the 'A' button?  If this is easy for you to do, could you give it a shot?  (It's definitely one of the buttons I use most -- it's so frustrating that it isn't a standard button.)

Thanks, and let me know if there's any more information I can give you for the 'Exit' button problem.

- Kelly Ann

(PS - Here's a screenshot of the remote with the 'Exit' button greyed out.)

Exit Button.jpg

alanrichey42 Master
                                                  I'm a new user, and have been setting this up last week on my home computers (IBM ThinkPad and hp Pavilion dv9000) and my work computer (Mac PowerBook).  I've downloaded this custom remote.  (Thanks!)  Do I need to put the .bin files onto each new computer I use it on or once I configure the remote properly on one computer is it fine on them all?

Just the once.  When you ran the setup it downloaded the code to the Slingbox so from now on every type of viewer will use those codes.

The weird thing I notice is that when I run it on the Mac, I see a silver remote with working 'Exit' button; when I run it on the PC, dark grey remote and unusable 'Exit' button.

Although odd, I can see why this is happening.   When you ran the setup you should have seen it download the Comcast 'skin'.   And you will find it as Comcast.spr at these 2 places, the first for the standalone Slingplayer, the second for the WebSlingPlayer (you will need to set the option to view hidden files.:

Vista and WIN7

----------------------

C:\ProgramData\Sling Media\Slingplayer\2.0\Remotes\
                                                  C:\Users\..<User>..\AppData\Roaming\Sling Media\WebSlingPlayer\Remote

WinXP

----------

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sling Media\SlingPlayer\2.0\Remote
                                                  C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Sling Media\WebSlingPlayer\Remote\

MAC
                                                  --------

/Applications/SlingPlayer/Contents/Resources/Remote

(Note that The Contents dirs won't show up unless you do a "Right-Click -> Show Package Contents" when navigating into an app's "Contents" directory.)

Now, when you log on to the Slingbox using a different computer, it looks at the code in the Slingbox and immediately downloads the Comcast skin to that location.   So what appears to have happened is that your PC and Mac have actually downloaded different 'skins'.    Now I have no idea how the minds at Sling Media work, but it could be that the Mac access a completely different, probably older, version of their remote graphic database and got the Silver remote and the PCs got the grey one.

I'm not sure if I'm adding anything useful here, or just am seconding that the problem does exist.

Very useful.  It explains a few wierd things I have seen before.  I have been helping peoplr with remotes from well before this forum appeared, but because Sling Media will never tell me anything about how their system works, I have had to learn everything by trial and error, so the more my personal Knowledge Base gets the better for everyone 

Now, I agree with you that the Exit button on the 'grey' remote skin is not working, I get the same on my PC.  But the fact that it works on the Mac confirms my previous statements that the BIN file has it correctly mapped.   So there must be a 'bug' in the Grey remote that has mis-mapped the connection between the Exit function in the BIN file and the Exit button on the Grey Remote.

So the first thing you could try is to get the COMCAST.SPR file from your Mac and overwrite the one on your PC.  In theory that should give you a working Silver Remote on the PCs.   In fact, if it works, please post it on here so that anyone else looking for the silver remote can access it.

On a separate note, is there a way to program the 30-second skip (i.e. 00173) to the 'A' button?  If this is easy for you to do, could you give it a shot?  (It's definitely one of the buttons I use most -- it's so frustrating that it isn't a standard button.)

I need to find out which code is actually used.   I can't do that with the Comcast remote but I might be able to do it with the Basic remote.   So please rerun the video setup using the attached 2 files, using Cable - Other as manufacturer and Other as Model number and C2010 as the code.

When you display the remote you can first check the Exit button works to prove the guess.   Then tap on the Menu button on the Remote (or use the Connection > Remote Keys menu option to check the Custom Keys.   See if any of them do the 30-sec skip (my best guess is Custom 12?).  Then I can amend the C1283 files for you.

Cheers

Al

• Re: Wanting to delete Comcast remote
                                                      tluikens

Hello forum members,

I changed the title of this reply since the thread has had no new post for more than one year,  My issue is the opposite of the discussion so far.

My local desktop Slingplayer displays two incompatible remotes:  Comcast by default and a Cox cable basic remote labelled as the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD.  My provider is Cox, so I want the default remote to control  the 8300HD, and I would be satisfied to suppress or delete the Comcast image.  I purchased the Slingbox 300 used, so the original owner may have installed the Comcast remote to the Slingbox, and I installed the Cox remote when I set up.

Does anyone have the knowledge to inform me how to delete the Comcast remote from the Remote Keys menu, or if deletion is not possible can I at least make the Cox remote the default device?

Thanks in advance for any positive responses.

Tom

alanrichey42 Master

If you select the Cox remote from the Remote Keys menu it should 'stick' as the default.

Does yours switch back to the Comcast ?

Have you re-run the video setup to force the Cox box ?

What OS are you using ?  

tluikens

Alan,

Thanks for your reply,  I select the Cox remote every session.  It does not stick.

I will rerun setup within 24 hours to test your suggestion.  The operating system is 64 bit Windows 7 with all updates, running on a Dell laptop.

After I posted this message I continued to read other threads. I followed the suggestion to delete the Comcast remote from the path to [et cetera} Slingmedia...\Remote.  (Actually I renamed it.)  However, I invoked a session  before writing this and the Comcast continues to be the default.

Tom

alanrichey42 Master

And I assume the Comcast.SPR file re-appeared in the \Remotes\ folder ?

What are you selecting when you run the Video Setup ?   You should be doing Cox as the Manufacturer and the appropriate model. 

If you are selecting Scientific Atlanta as the Manufacturer then you will ALWAYS get the Comcast remote, as Comcast have 'ordered' Sling to display their remote if that box is selected.   Not sure why Sling have obeyed them, but it seems pretty arrogant of Comcast in my opinion, and I think Sling should have told them to b*****r off.

kellyann

Hi, Alan -

Sorry it took so long to get back to you -- I moved just after you had replied, and it took forever to get everything unpacked and re-set-up at my new place (including the SlingBoxes).

I downloaded your C2010 files -- everything worked exactly as you predicted:

-- The Exit button now works

-- Custom 12 is the 30-second skip.

You're pretty awesome!

I will post the Comcast.spr file from the Mac when I get back into work later this week.  And I'll download the new C1283 file whenever you post it.

Thanks!

- Kelly Ann

zmcreynolds

Did you ever get what you needed to amend your C1283 files that showed the Comcast (dark grey) remote image but had the 30-second skip remapped to one of the standard buttons (people seem to prefer the A button on these comcast remotes since they don't used the lock button)?

Thanks!