10 Replies Latest reply: Aug 30, 2013 12:59 PM by Matt.Sling RSS

Slingbox & BT Infinity

jmpy

Hi,

I am in the UK, and have recently had a new broadband setup installed. It is called BT Infinity.

Basically, it is a 40Mb download and 10Mb upload VDSL broadband. It comes with a Wifi router, connected via Ethernet to a VDSL modem.

I tried setting up the (UK) Slingbox Pro, and have successfully connected and used it on the local network. However, I cannot setup the internet viewing.

I have tried manually setting up port forwarding on the router (port 5001), but it does not want to work and is still unreachable from outside, even though the port forwarding seems to be properly setup.

Is that a setup that anybody else has tried?

Cheers,

JM

• Re: Slingbox & BT Infinity
          SmithyDave

I am also experiencing the same problems. I spoke to BT support and they suggested disabling the firewall although this still made no difference. I have made the same port forwarding changes and done a manual set up. In the home hub settings page it can see the slingbox. What I have not been able to do is get the slingbox set-up to recognise the username and password for the home hub in the internet set up and have also done this manually.

It would be nice if there was a person to call at slingbox to help with such issues.

alanrichey42 Master

I've been having this problem with the BT Home Hub.  I suspect BT are doing something 'funny' behind the scenes.

SmithyDave

I finally got it to work by running the set-up using slingbox.com rather than on my laptop. I don't understand how this can make a difference but thats technology. I still cannot get my iPhone to connect remotely but it works locally. I don't want to screw up what i already have working by playing around too much.  

jmpy

Yes, using slingbox.com made it work locally for me too. My issue is to be able to access it from the internet.

Strangely, using the old SlingPlayer application, I can actually connect to it. However, I have bought a SlingCatcher recently, and it used to work flawlessly with my previous internet providers (O2 & Be). With BT, it does not work anymore.

I do not know if this is related to Infinity as such, or the BT Home Hub 3.0 that came with it.

alanrichey42 Master

Same problem here.  But what is happening is actually logical.  The original Slingboxes and the SlingCatcher needed  to use port forwarding to get the signal through from remote locations.   Sling Media must have got sick and tired of all the support tickets this was raising so in the newer Slingboxes they provided an alternatiove system that does not reply on port forwarding  (not sure of the technical aspect).  So the fact that something in the BT Home Hib is preventing port forwarding working properly means that only newer Slingboxes will work remotely.

My exact situation is that I have a Slingbox Classic and a Slingbox Pro-HD connected to my BT Home Hub and a Slingcatcher at my holiday home.  When I am there I can see the Pro-Hd on my laptop without any probem, but not the Classic.   And the Slingcatcher sees nothing.   So I KNOW the problem lies with the port forwarding in the BT Home Hub not properly passing the signals even when they are all set correctly.

If anyone ever finds out the solution I would be very grateful.

Al

0hyes316

can anyone tell me how to swtup port forwarding it only gives descriptions not port numbers

fhanks