26 Replies Latest reply: Mar 19, 2011 6:44 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

No remote found for Virgin Media's Cisco CT8685

sixeyes

I have been using my Slingbox for years with my UK Series 1 Tivo.

I've just got a new Series 4 Tivo from Virgin Media.

Unfortunately there is no entry for Cisco in the list of remotes.

How can I set up my Slingbox with the new Tivo?

Iain

• Re: No remote found for Virgin Media's Cisco CT8685
          alanrichey42 Master

Check out this thread:  https://community.sling.com/thread/3300?tstart=0

Come back if it doesn't help.

sixeyes

Sadly my model isn't listed. I have a "classic" slingbox (from reading those posts I gather it may matter).

Iain

alanrichey42 Master

Unfortunately it isn't listed in the Logitech Harmony database either, so I can't learn the codes.   And with a Classic you cannot use http://remotes.slingbox.com

But if Virgin are issuing this then it should come onto the Harmony database fairly soon,   If you regularly check http://www.logitech.com/harmony/components and tell me when it appears I can build the remote

Cheers

Al

sixeyes

The remote is now listed.

Do you need a picture of the remote or is that provided by Logitech as well.

Iain

AlRichey Novice

That was a shame.  I had assumed that you had followed the advice I gave in the thread and tested all the logical remotes.  If you had done so you would have found the standard Virgin Custom Remote works and you could have had a working remote a lot earlier.

It's at http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8966

sixeyes

I tried Tivo remotes and tried one Virgin remote but it only turned the box on and off.

The link you posted gives me more control but the remote is missing a number of buttons (e.g. My Shows, Thumbs up, Thumbs down, Skip back (different from rewind), Skip Forward (different from fast forward))

Is there anything I can do to make the layout closer to my Tivo? The V+ remote buttons are in different places.

Iain

AlRichey Novice

OK, here is a tweaked version that adds Thumbsup/Thumbsdown to the Pg+/- buttons

Initially I have to use the default remote graphic.  Once we have go the buttons working we can try and change the 'skin'.

The Logitech database didn't have any codes for the Skip+/- functions.  If you need those you are going to have to learn those buttons at http://remotes.slingbox.com, expoort the remote and post the myRemote.lrz file.

sixeyes

Thanks for the update.

Thumbs up is the - button and Thumbs down is the + button.

It's a shame the skip buttons aren't defined. I downloaded the web plugin but it told me my slingbox couldn't learn remotes. Is that feature not supported by a Classic?

Iain

alanrichey42 Master
                                          Thumbs up is the - button and Thumbs down is the + button.

Whoops :-)  The Harmony screen just showed 2 'Thumbs', so I had to guess.  50/50 chance.  New BIN files attached, overwrite the old ones and rerun the setup routine.

I also found a 'MyShows' code which I mapped to the White button and a 'Clear' function I mapped to the Last Chennel button (bottom left).  Still no joy on the Skip buttons.

It's a shame the skip buttons aren't defined. I downloaded the web plugin but it told me my slingbox couldn't learn remotes. Is that feature not supported by a Classic?

Unfortunately not.   We could always try it by trial and error if you want ?  It isn't too much work.

Al

sixeyes

If you're happy to map all the codes you have to spare buttons I'm happy to experiment.

Iain

alanrichey42 Master

OK, try this remote.  Same procedure but use C2011 as the code.  Now, the ONLY correct button here is the Power button.  Every other button, including the 15 Custom Buttons you get by pressing on the Menu at the top of the Remote and selecting Custom, will send one of the unused codes.  So set up the system so you can recognise when Skip+/- will work and tap each button in turn.

Al

sixeyes

Thanks for that. Just what was required.

Sorry for the delay in replying but I've not had a chance to play until this morning.

I've found the following buttons on C2011:

Tivo button               Slingbox C2011 button

"Slow"                             Channel +

"Skip forward"                  Record

"Skip backward"               Stop

"Last channel"                  Exit (also 9)

"Zoom Window"                Cursor Down

"Subtitles"                        Channel -

Couldn't find a code for "Clear" or "My Shows".

Going back to C2010 I found the following buttons:

Tivo button               Slingbox C2010 button

"Clear"                              Exit

"Home"                             Menu

I believe that covers all the buttons I can test (some of the buttons don't currently work).

The only button I can't find is "My Shows" but you can get that functionality via the menus or by pressing "Home" twice.

Iain

alanrichey42 Master
                                                          Couldn't find a code for "Clear" or "My Shows".

Going back to C2010 I found the following buttons:

Tivo button               Slingbox C2010 button

"Clear"                              Exit

"Home"                             Menu

OK, now you have me really confused    Last post I had from you seemed to indicate that it all worked except we couldn't find the Skip+/- buttons, so I sent you  C2011 to try the first batch of unused codes.

Now you come up with these last 2 statements that don't make sense.   Did my mapping of the MyShows onto the White button not work ?

Could you explain EXACTLY what the situation is with C2010 ?

sixeyes

OK. With C2010 functionality was present but the button labels were confusing. I was just mentioning that in C2010 the exit button is actually called "Clear" on the Tivo remote as there is no exit button. Similarly the menu button on the C2010 remote is actually the "Home" button on the Tivo remote.

I tried every button on the remote C2011 but none of them did the "My Shows". Just tried again in case I somehow missed it but the white button doesn't do anything. Not too fussed since "Home" twice does the same thing. I only found that out because of this testing. It's been interesting to see how some of the remote control keys behave when used in sequence.

Iain

alanrichey42 Master

So that file is fundamantally OK.   And now you want to have a Tivo 'skin' right ?

sixeyes

A Tivo skin would be awesome. Even just having the buttons in similar positions to my Tivo remote would do. At the moment neither the C1279 or C2010 remotes have buttons in the right places.

Can we easily get a Tivo skin that matches my new remote?

The new Tivo remote has a significantly different layout to the Series 1 Tivo. The skin for my Series 1 remote looked just like my actual remote.

Iain

alanrichey42 Master
                                                                          Can we easily get a Tivo skin that matches my new remote?

'Easy' isn't the first word to spring to mind

The new Tivo remote has a significantly different layout to the Series 1 Tivo. The skin for my Series 1 remote looked just like my actual remote.

OK, here are the BIN files with a Series 1 TIVO Skin.   Same deal, but this time use "Standalone DVR", "Tivo", "Other" and V0618 as the code,.

Any use ?

sixeyes

That's looking pretty close.

The "Pause" button seems to be mapped to "Play" so it doesn't actually pause anything.

Can you map the skip backward / slow / skip forward to the three buttons below the Pause button?

Would it be possible to access the coloured buttons in some way? Via a menu like the standard slingbox remote?

Iain

alanrichey42 Master
                                                                                  The "Pause" button seems to be mapped to "Play" so it doesn't actually pause anything.

We know that, as the codes are the same for your box.  Doesn't the Play and the Pause button toggle betwen Stop and Go ?

Can you map the skip backward / slow / skip forward to the three buttons below the Pause button?

But we don't have the codes for skip+/-, that was what C2011 was meant to find.   Remember we are still using the same Virgin codes, we are just mapping them to a Tivo remote.

Would it be possible to access the coloured buttons in some way? Via a menu like the standard slingbox remote

No, once you use a realistic remote then what you see is what you get.   You could update to a Tivo Premier remote, as I recall that has colour buttons on it.   I've atatched the files, give it a try.

sixeyes

We know that, as the codes are the same for your box.  Doesn't the Play and the Pause button toggle betwen Stop and Go ?

You may have known that. I hadn't realised it. The "Pause" button does toggle between Stop and Go but the "Play" button shows the current playing status.

The "Pause" button is the 8 button from C2011.

But  we don't have the codes for skip+/-, that was what C2011 was meant to  find.   Remember we are still using the same Virgin codes, we are just  mapping them to a Tivo remote.

But I did find the codes:

Tivo button               Slingbox C2011 button

"Slow"                             Channel +

"Skip forward"                  Record

"Skip backward"               Stop

Would it be possible to access the coloured buttons in some way? Via a menu like the standard slingbox remote

No,  once you use a realistic remote then what you see is what you get.    You could update to a Tivo Premier remote, as I recall that has colour  buttons on it.   I've atatched the files, give it a try.

I prefer the Tivo remote.

Could you change the codes for the following buttons on the Tivo remote:

"Clear"                         C2010 Exit

"Enter/Last"                  C2011 Exit

"TV input"                     C2011 Cursor Down

Iain