7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 7, 2012 2:02 AM by Wormy RSS

Having to power-cycle Slingbox very often.

huntermaclean

Recently, as many as 2-3 times a week I have had trouble making a connection to my Slingbox, and the only way to restore the connection is to have someone power-cycle the the device; which relies on someone being at the house at the time.

I live in Hong Kong and I am connecting to my Slingbox in Mill Creek, WA, USA.

It is updated to the latest firmware, and I recently updated to the latest Slingplayer software on my computer.

I would prefer not to have to power-cycle the Slingbox so often, especially because I am 16 hours ahead which makes times awkward. If I can't figure out why the Slingbox needs to be power-cycled so often, does anyone know if there is a way to do it remotely?

Thanks in advance, and please let me know if I can get any more information or do any troubleshooting.

Hunter

• Re: Having to power-cycle Slingbox very often.
          callanish Apprentice

Has this issue only happened to you recently, because It almost sounds like your problem is port forward related where it was originally setup using Automatic UPNP and not using manual port forwarding. My slingbox had to do a power cycle every three days due to an incorrect setup and for some reason it was all due to a time lease issue where the slingbox would fail to communicate with the sling servers causing connection issues every two or three days. Could the problem be router related at home?

The cheapest way to powercycle is to get a timer and connect it to your slingbox resetting it every two or three days. It's a temporary solution, but if your problem is router related, it might require you to remotely access your router / slingbox from another pc setup at home or get a friend to take their computer to your house, get them to install the free logmein software; you create a logmein account to control his or her computer from Hong Kong, rerun the sling setup, check the router settings and hope you find the problem. It could be that there is a slingbox problem, but 2 - 3 times consistently a week sounds like its got something to do with your home network.

huntermaclean

I am interested in trying to manual port forwarding solution as I am almost sure that this device was setup UPNP. Is there a guide that can step me through how to setup the router to forward the necessary ports?

If this doesn't work, we will power-cycle the devices individually the next time we are having problems to determine which device is actually causing the issue.

With regards to your question about whether this started happening recently, it has progressively been getting worse. We initally only had to power-cycle the equipment every 2-3 weeks, but in the last 2 months it has gotten worse.

Thanks!

callanish Apprentice

Hunter,

If UPNP is causing network connection issues, then It's at least worth a shot to see if manual port forwarding bypasses the problem.

You could go through sling's website here for step by step help.

http://support.slingbox.com/get/old-network-assistant.html

I've also found the following website helpful with portforwarding as well.

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

If you are still dealing with the problem after doing the above, and are experiencing no other websurfing / router issues outside of the connection problem with the slingbox, then it could just be that your slingbox has a hardware problem. I know you are far away from your slingbox and this might sound impractical since you'll probably need friends and family for help, but If you really want to get to the bottom of the problem, I'd go as far as get someone to buy another slingbox from a place with a good return policy, run it for a while to see if you come across the same problem.  If you don't, then you'll know its your slingbox. If you've got the same problem with the new one, then I'd be looking at the router. Sad that it might come to that, but you might have to eliminate your hardware as the culprit one piece at a time to pinpoint the problem.

Wish I could be more helpful.

Apprentice

Hi Huntermaclean,

We would like to know if the information provided here was helpful or if the issue persisted. Let us know about your results.

Regards

huntermaclean

We check the port forwarding setup and it is configured as described in the setup. Still getting very inconsistent perofrmance. One week it was great and we didn't have to touch it, and now recently it has been pausing and disconnected me about 5-6 times during a basketball game.

I guess our only other option would be setup a device to power cycle the unit periodically?

Do you know of any devices that do this? If it's something I could order online to have shipped to my friend, that woud be great.

Hunter

huntermaclean

I have an update to this. Today I lost connection to the slingbox during a basketball game. Upon trying to reconnect, I was getting the error code "W211." I have since tried power-cycling all of my equipment. Tried three different browsers across 2 platforms (Firefox 3.6 and IE 8 on Windows 7, and Safari (32bit) on Mac OS X 10.6. None of this worked and my friend wasn't available to troubleshoot on his end.

To rule out my network I tried Slingbox on my iPhone. First, connected via wifi did not work, same problem. Second, I was connected via the 3G network and I was able to connect; though we do not get very good speeds on the 43rd floor of our apartment so it was pretty bad.

I was finally able to get back onto Slingbox on my desktop by connecting it directly to our DSL router and setting up a PPPOE connection. This leads me to believe it must be my router that is causing my problems.

I have a Belkin F6D4230-4 v1 router with the latest firmware. Any suggestions on what I might do to troubleshoot this from here? This may ultimately be where the problem is that we have been resolving by power-cycling the Slingbox.

Thanks!
                    Hunter

Wormy

I have the same problem. 

My slingbox is in my brother's basement and he tired of running down to reset it. 

The solution I found was through Insteon, where I can power cycle it on a web browser.  I can also turn on his coffee pot and open his garage door, but that is another matter.