7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 21, 2011 8:10 PM by callanish RSS

Accessing my Slingbox from abroad.

drake48

I have a Slingbox Pro HD and watch on my laptop and iPhone when away from home. My son is abroad attending university and he asked me if he could watch hockey games from his location using my Slingbox.

• Re: Accessing my Slingbox from abroad.
          callanish Apprentice

He should have no problem in using your slingbox if his internet speed at the University is fast enough for a decent streaming picture. All he has to do is sign into your sling account, then the sling startup will ask him to automatically install a plugin to use with his internet browser, reboot the browser, resign in to your sling account, go to the watch tab at the top of the screen and he should be good to go.

drake48

Thanks for the speedy response. He did exactly as you suggested and ...... boom ..... a hockey game. It made his day.

SULLIVE1

I have managed to access from abroad and was enjoying facility until I lost connection and haven,t been able to reconnect. I don't know if it is problem with my wireless here or my kit at home. Might my broadband provider block streaming from US? E

callanish Apprentice

Unfortunately, nothing is perfect. There are so many variables that need to be in place in order for a slingbox to work, that I'm amazed mine works as consistently as it does. Now and then though, I'll have problems connecting and the solution has been to get someone to power off and on my router/cable modem and slingbox and then I'm back in business. I don't think your ISP is blocking your slingbox service. The slingbox might just need a power reboot. Are there any warning signs coming up when you sign into your sling account?

http://support.slingbox.com/go/home

SULLIVE1

Thanks Calanish, if the problem requires me to reboot at home I wil have to wait until I get unless it can be done remotely by administrator. I'm not sure that is the problem. I have just had broadband installed in US home with a modem and a router. It all worked for awhile then loss of connectivity. Modem shows flashing link light. Is that normal? If not how do I correct? Eugene

callanish Apprentice

A flashing link light on the modem usually means the ISP service is down or the modem has crashed. You could have a signal level problem between your modem and your internet service provider. I had a modem that used to crash my slingbox taking it offline and forcing me to have to power reboot it in order to get things working again. Problem was, I had to be there to do it. I found out I had to manually adjust the bandwidth settings on the slingplayer software to a slower streaming speed, because if I didn't, it would crash the modem taking the slingbox down with it and I couldn't reconnect. A maximum upload speed from my slingbox to my slingplayer software on the P.C must have been taxing the modem for some reason. Needless to say, I changed the modem for another brand and my problem was solved. Bottom line is, you might have to just troubleshoot things when you get back home so you can pinpoint the problem.