19 Replies Latest reply: Feb 26, 2011 1:14 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

Remote needed for Medi@link Black Panther satellite receiver

reznacz Newbie

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for information on how to create new remote for Medi@link Black Panther satellite receiver. I have Windows Media Center remote with USB IR sensor and also Logitech Harmony S25 universal learning remote. Is there any way how these tools could help me to create a new remote? So far I was reading only about an "IR Widget" but I'm not sure if it is a special sensor or just another name for a generic IR sensor.

By the way, does remotes.slingbox.com work for anyone? I just get a black screen when I get to step 4, which is supposed to load some application...

Thanks!

• Re: Remote needed for Medi@link Black Panther satellite receiver
          alanrichey42 Master

If you tell me EXACTLY what you select on your Harmony I can probably build a remote for you

reznacz Newbie

Hi Alan, 

please see the attached screenshot.

I guess I just need the remote codes so that I can create a custom skin.

Thank you

reznacz Newbie

Thank you very much, most buttons work fine. I have also managed to get the remotes.slingbox.com website to work on another computer and created a LRZ file there. Now I will again read your guide to find out how can I use this LRZ and the BIN you provided to create a proper remote with all the buttons and real skin.

Thanks again!

alanrichey42 Master

Now I will again read your guide to find out how can I use this LRZ and the BIN you provided to create a proper remote with all the buttons and real skin.

You won't find anything in any guide about the LRZ file, only I can do that.  So just post it here and I will analyze it to get the missing functions.

But to stop wasting both our times, please give me a full list of the buttons and say which ones are working on the Custom Remote and which aren't

And you will probably  never get the correct skin (unless you are a graphical artist with plenty of time on your hands), all I do is provide a default remote you can tweak.

Al

shazduf

Hi i was about to request a remote for the same black panther then i stumbled across this thread,  basically it answered all my questions, many thanks alan for sorting it out and rez for asking the question. Await eagerly for the updated remote. Ps i tried the betaremote but i just couldnt seem to get the slingbox to learn any of the keys. I have new ir blasters, as the set in the box weren't working. Regards Shaz.

reznacz Newbie

Hello Alan,

all the buttons work, except for the ones listed below. I think it would be a good idea to assign them as follows:

menu - assign to MENU
                              page up - assign to PAGE UP
                              page down - assign to PAGE DOWN
                              option - assign to the button under 7
                              favorite - assign to the button under 9
                              audio - assign to GREY BUTTON
                              tv/radio - assign to CUSTOM
                              PVR (the one above record) - assign to CUSTOM
                              subtitles (button under 7) - assign to CUSTOM
                              v-format - assign to CUSTOM

I'm trying to create a fully working custom remote at remotes.slingbox.com but it's a real pain. Some buttons take 20 attempts to learn properly

Thank you

Best Regards

alanrichey42 Master

I still need your LRZ file with those buttons learned, as obviously the codes I have are incorrect.

And don't bother describing the button position on your remote , I have no idea what it looks like

reznacz Newbie

Hi Alan.

I'm attaching the lzr file for my remote.

I also made a very amateurish drawing in which you can see the best way of assigning the buttons. Except for the usual ones (menu, page up/down), there are a couple of buttons which could be assigned in the way I depicted for better control of the satellite box.

Here is the explanation:

There are numbers 1-5 and c1-c5.

C1-C5 are intended for custom buttons, for which there is no space on the remote.

1-5 are buttons that should be assigned on the remote. I think you can ignore the button "LAST" (1 in the picture), it already works correctly.

alanrichey42 Master

OK, that wasn't very successful  Only about 1/2 of the buttons showed up, and most were ones we know work already.  Did you a actually test the remote after building it ? 

So far all I found that we didn't know before is :

The PageUp function is Code 7, which I had originally mapped to the Menu button.  Did you not see that ? 

The Jump button returned Code 30 which is what I had on the Last/Previous button ?

The  Skip Forward returned Code 94 which is what I had mapped to the Record button ?

And the Grey 4 button returned a new code but I have no idea what you were pressing to get that code.

So let's try again, but first, please try EVERY button on my virtual remote and tell me what they do.  That way we would have known the Menu button fired the PageUp code.    It could be we already have the right codes, just mapped to the wrong buttons.

Then you will have to the learn again, but please test it fully and makes sure it works, or it could lead us astray.

Cheers

Al

reznacz Newbie

Thank you for so fast reply.

• As for your remote:

The correctly working keys are:

• Power
                                              • Channel up
                                              • Channel down
                                              • Last channel
                                              • 0-9
                                              • Guide
                                              • Info
                                              • Exit
                                              • Up, Down, Left, Right
                                              • OK
                                              • Red, Green, Yellow, Blue
                                              • Play, Pause, Stop, Fast Fwd, Rewind
                                              • CUSTOM 10 = FAVORITE (should be somewhere directly on the remote, not as Custom), LRZ mapping: Grey 1
                                              • CUSTOM 11 = TELETEXT

Keys that are mapped incorrectly:

• Menu (acts as Page Up) - no key has the real Menu/Setup function
                                              • Record (acts as Skip Forward)
                                              • Page down, Page Up (not mapped)
                                              • Skip Backward (doesnt do anything)
                                              • Skip Forward (doesnt do anything)

And these are the keys that are not mapped at all (but are mapped and confirmed working on the lrz file's remote):

• OPTION (should be somewhere directly on the remote, not as Custom), LRZ mapping: Grey 2
                                              • AUDIO (should be somewhere directly on the remote, not as Custom), LRZ mapping: #
                                              • SUBTITLES, LRZ mapping: *
                                              • TV/RADIO, LRZ mapping: LIVE
                                              • PVR, LRZ mapping: DVR
                                              • V-FORMAT, LRZ mapping: ZOOM

Could you please tell me which of the mapped keys on LRZ remote are unreadable? I will learn them again. But they work properly!

alanrichey42 Master
                                                  • And these are the keys that are not mapped at all (but are mapped and confirmed working on the lrz file's remote):
                                                  • OPTION (should be somewhere directly on the remote, not as Custom), LRZ mapping: Grey 2
                                                  • AUDIO (should be somewhere directly on the remote, not as Custom), LRZ mapping: #
                                                  • SUBTITLES, LRZ mapping: *
                                                  • TV/RADIO, LRZ mapping: LIVE
                                                  • PVR, LRZ mapping: DVR
                                                  • V-FORMAT, LRZ mapping: ZOOM

Afraid none of those came though on the file.   Can you re-learn just those.

What was Grey 4 ?

reznacz Newbie

Hi, so I did the learning again for selected keys. This is how the medialink keys are now mapped on the remote:

DVR = PVR
                                                      LIVE = tv/radio
                                                      ZOOM = v-format
                                                      1 = favorite
                                                      2 = option
                                                      3,5 = pvr keys, 3rd row from from bottom on medialink remote; nr 4 was supposed to be the middle key but it just didn't work
                                                      6 = subtitles
                                                      7 = audio
                                                      8 = sleep
                                                      9 = time
                                                      0 = option (again)
                                                      # = favorite (again)

Grey 4 was that PVR key which I wasn't able to learn this time. But it works from the previous lrz remote.

Regards

alanrichey42 Master

That was much better.  In act the only 4 functions we don't have a code for are:

Record

Menu

Page Down

PVR Middle button

So if you could do another learn for those 4 buttons we can finish it.  And lie before it does no harm to define them on a couple of buttons in case one doesn't work.

Meanwhile, the 'best' effort attached.  In general mapped as you requested except that I cannot use the Skip Back and Skip Forward buttons as there is a bug in the Sling Remote that disables them permanently.  (That is why I designed a replacement, see https://community.sling.com/thread/8533?tstart=0)

So,

Favourite is now mapped to the 'Enter' button (under the 9)

Option is now mapped to the "Last Channel" button (under the 7)

Audio is mapped to the White button.

And the Custom buttons are now:

Custom 10     PVR

Custom 11     TV/Radio

Custom 12     V-Format

Custom 13     Subtitles

Custom 14     Teletext

Custom 15     Last Channel

Custom 16     PVR left button

Custom 17     PVR right button

Custom 18     Time

Custom 19     Sleep

Al