3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 20, 2011 1:36 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

Can't make other remotes appear in Sling Player and "Menu" does not work

Bully2

Hi:  I am in Thailand and use Sling Player on my PC and Sling Catcher on my TV.  My Sling Box Pro HD is at my son's house in San Diego and is connected to Cox Cable.  Recent upgrades to broadband speed here have made both PC and TV viewing work much better than they had even a year ago.  But on my PC, I cannot get the Cox Cable Remote to appear on my screen (the correct remote does appear when I watch on the Sling Cathcer/TV) and only the basic/generic remote appears and the basic remote seems virtually useless.  On the Sling Player display I have followed the instructions to click on "Connect" and then "Remote Keys" but I can't get past that step.  No alternatives appear.  Can someone help me resolve this?

Perhaps I should ask this other question separately but the "Menu" button on the Sling Catcher remote and on Sling Player does absolutely nothing on either the TV or the PC.  The light on the Sling Catcher horseshoe blinks that it saw the signal from the remote but whatever is showing continues merrily on while no info related to any menu options (like what's on my DVR) appears.

Thanks in advance.

Bill K

• Re: Can't make other remotes appear in Sling Player and "Menu" does not work
          alanrichey42 Master
          the correct remote does appear when I watch on the Sling Cathcer/TV)

How do you manage that ?   When I watch on the TV via SLingCatcher I don't see any sort of remote graphic.

Player display I have followed the instructions to click on "Connect" and then "Remote Keys" but I can't get past that step.  No alternatives appear.  Can someone help me resolve this?

We can't start until you tell us what sort of cable device you are using and what steps you have taken so far to set up the video source.

Bully2
              Thank you for your reply.  I misspoke when I said I could not make a remote  appear on screen while viewing thru Sling Catcher.  My Sling Catcher (physical)  remote works just fine except for the "Menu" button doing nothing more than  making the word "Menu" appear on screen momentarily.
              (This paragraph refers to Sling catcher) I may also be confused from  talking with a friend here in Pattaya, Thailand who has a Slingbox in Dallas and  a Sling Catcher here.  It was he who told me that to see the programs scheduled  for recording, I needed to click menu and then DVR.  I AM able to click "OPT"  and then select "List" and that seems to list programs scheduled for recording  as well as programs already recorded.  Is that correct?  Related to that is a  new problem- up until two weeks ago, I was able to watch shows I had  recorded on the Sling Box in San Diego.  Then the Sling Box stopped working.  My  son discovered that the plug had accidentally come loose from the wall cutting  off all power.  He plugged it in and it seemed to reset itself/reboot or  whatever it does.  I can now watch live TV from San Diego but when I try to view  a program recorded earlier, after an info bar appears telling me the name of the  show and the arrow indicating how far along the recording is, I get nothing but  a black screen.  In addition, the broadband speed counter rapidly declines from  what it was when I was watching live TV to something like 69kbps which, of  course, is too slow for anything to work.  I just set up a new recording that  should occur in the next half hour or so and I will check that when I return  from grocery shopping.  It could be that the black screen was during the time  the Sling Box was unplugged- if the shows I am recording today can be shown,  then the issue should be moot.
              I'm hoping my son can provide the other info you need about the cable  device and steps taken to set up the video source.  This may take a day or two  since, like you, we are in different time zones and he may be unable to respond  until the weekend.  Thailand is nine hours ahead of California.
              Further amplification on inability to playback recorded programs.  I believe I  correctly recorded two half hour shows during the time I was running errands  today.  When I returned and turned on the Sling Catcher, I was able to see live  TV and the speed indicator was a healthy 1900kbps.  I then selected "OPT" on the  catcher remote, then scrolled right to "List".  The two shows were listed.  I  selected "Play" and a message appeared with a blue bar "Recorded, listed  the name of the show and its duration".  But instead of starting the playback,  the broadband speed display rapidly counted down from 1900 to two digits and the  screen went black.
                  alanrichey42 Master

Thank you for your reply.  I misspoke when I said I could not make a remote  appear on screen while viewing thru Sling Catcher.  My Sling Catcher (physical)  remote works just fine except for the "Menu" button doing nothing more than  making the word "Menu" appear on screen momentarily.

This is nothing to do with the Slingcatcher,  That is because the Menu function has not been implemented in the remote you selected when the Slingbox was first set up.  If you watch the Slingbox on the your PC you will see the Menu button is greyed out.

indicating how far along the recording is, I get nothing but  a black screen.  In addition, the broadband speed counter rapidly declines from  what it was when I was watching live TV to something like 69kbps which, of  course, is too slow for anything to work.  I just set up a new

That makes sense, as the broadband speed depends on what you are watching, so if it is a just a blank screen there is no need to send much and the speed will drop,  You can see this is you power off the DVR and watch the speed.

I suspect this has nothing to do with the Slingbox or the SlingCatcher, but the DVR.  You need to get your son to do all these checks locally and make sure he can watch recorded shows.

Further amplification on inability to playback recorded programs.  I believe I  correctly recorded two half hour shows during the time I was running errands  today.  When I returned and turned on the Sling Catcher, I was able to see live  TV and the speed indicator was a healthy 1900kbps.  I then selected "OPT" on the  catcher remote, then scrolled right to "List".  The two shows were listed.  I  selected "Play" and a message appeared with a blue bar "Recorded, listed  the name of the show and its duration".  But instead of starting the playback,  the broadband speed display rapidly counted down from 1900 to two digits and the  screen went black.

Yes, I think your SlingCatcher and Slingbox are working fine.  The DVR is 'fried'.   May just need to be unplugged and plugged back in again.

Al