3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 17, 2011 1:29 PM by dbsguy RSS

Questions regarding Upload and Download Speeds and Ping Time?

chris2184

Hi,

I'm considering buying a SlingBox Solo. My situation... I'll be living in India for the next 2 - 3 years. I have a very good sending broadband connection where the slingbox will be located in the UK. The upload speed on this connection is 1meg and will be upgraded to 3meg shortly. The Indian connection is as follows... The first 20GB of usage is @ 4meg download speeds, after this the speed is 512k unlimited usage. My ping time to the UK is on average around 225ms.

I know the most important thing is that the upload speed at the sending connection is as high as possible. But I see there is limited information regarding the receiving speed. From doing a lot of searches I've found that the minimum receiving speed should be 200kbps on a computer and if using the iPhone app the minimum receiving speed should be 110kbps. The higher it is the better the picture.

My questions are, firstly would you agree the above information is correct?

My other question is regarding the ping time at the receiving connection... does this affect good/watchable picture quality, or should I not be concerned with this?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and if you decide to reply thanks again...

Kind Regards,

Chris

• Re: Questions regarding Upload and Download Speeds and Ping Time?
          dbsguy Apprentice

The download speed at the viewing location is typically not a problem because most broadband ISP(s)  have considerable amount of bandwidth; however your 512KBps aill be an issue that limits your experience no matter how high the upload is at the hosting location. 512KB/ps is rather limiting in terms of smoothness/framerate and quality or picture produced.

20GB sounds like alot; however when placeshifting a/v streams it can be eaten up rather quickly depending on the device your watching it on; expecially when you factror in your other normal web traffic, mail, etc......

chris2184

Thanks for the reply. I know the picture won't be at it's best after the connection drops to 512k, although from what I've been reading the smaller the picture is the more clear it is? Is that right? If it comes to it I'll watch it through an iPhone app.

Do you know if ping time has any affect on picture quality?

Thannks,

Chris

dbsguy Apprentice

Yes, the smaller the picture the "clearer" it will look at any bit rate. Think of it this way; if a picture is marginal at small quality, it will look like garbage when streatched larger.

As far as ping issues, it should not effect the picture quality; however it could potentially cause a couple of issues.

1. The lag time between the actual feed at the host location and the viewing location will keep increasing dramatcally. This really isn't an issue in terms of picture quality, however channel changing and control of thins such as dvr content or guide access will be extreamly slow t respond on screen afer a button press.
                  2. You might experiance out of sync issue with picture and audio feeds.