1 Reply Latest reply: Feb 26, 2011 10:36 AM by Fofo RSS

Pro HD Finally Went Out - Won't Connect to Network

metalunna Newbie

Hi All.

Well – I have now had to replace or repair  all of my Sling Products because of bad hardware

(2)- Sling Catchers (each with bad power supplies)

(3) -  Sling Solos – Each with Bad capacitors

Thankfully I was able to repair those devices (or replace the power supplies)

On Friday, my Pro HD went out (I love that stupid thing)

This is the behavior I noticed:

1. The Power light is steady (on)
      2. The Network light blinks 2 times…Stops, Blinks 5 times, stops and stays off.
      3. Sling LED starts to go around a few times…Stops..
      4. Rinse and Repeat starting  with the Network light flashing in the same pattern.

This is what I have done so far.

1. I unplugged the device for a few minutes (about 5). When I plugged it back in, the same pattern occurred.
      2. I held the reset button for 5 seconds..Same pattern…I held it in for 1 minute – Same pattern
      3. I swapped the power supply – Same pattern
      4. I took it apart and 1 of the Caps was slightly leaking, One was slightly bulged, and one was OK.
      5. I replaced the 2 bad Caps (I'm getting REALLY good at that). Same Pattern
      6. I tried a hard reset again – Same pattern
      7. I swapped the LAN cable and the  Port on the router – Same Pattern
      8. I took an old router I had laying around and set it up as a
        standalone. I hooked up my laptop to it and verified that DHCP was
        working.  I plugged the HD PRO into it  – Same Pattern…HARD
        Reset…Same Pattern.
      9. Finally I gave up and called Sling.  For $150 they are sending me a
        used unit. ($30 for Support and $120 for new unit).  Apparently the
        used units are normally $150, but they took $30 off as a refund for them telling me that it was broken).
      10. Waiting for new unit.
      11. First thing I want to do it try the power supply they send with the new/used unit with my old unit.

After all that, has anyone else seen this pattern or have any suggestions?

• Re: Pro HD Finally Went Out - Won't Connect to Network
          Apprentice

Hi Metalunna,

You performed all the troubleshooting steps to confirm that the issue is with the hardware of the Slingbox. As soon as you receive the replacement, you will not experience this issues anymore.

11.  First thing I want to do it try the power supply they send with the new/used unit with my old unit. 

If you already tested the Slingbox PRO-HD with the power supply of one working Slingbox SOLO, probably you will get the same result with the new power supply.

Let us know how the replacement works. Kind regards