3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 29, 2011 11:10 PM by chakkarinen RSS

Box not detected...tried EVERYTHING...need HELP!!!

smurfblu555

I have had my Slingbox since January 2010. The first few months I had it, I had several glitches, but when I moved it to my parents' house a few months later, it started working better.

Ever since they were forced by their cable company to change from standard coax cable to a digital cable box about a month ago, it has not worked quite as well, but I have been able to connect. The problem got significantly worse, though, after their cable internet went out briefly and the company had them reset the router. Since then, the connection has been TERRIBLE.

In an effort to fix the problem, we first tried unplugging and replugging the Slingbox. At best I got 10 seconds of feed after that solution. Then we tried to reset the slingbox, which worked for a day or two, but the connection got progressively worse. After 2-3 days I could not get more than a few seconds of feed. The third or fourth reset proved to be a total disaster. Now it can't even detect the Slingbox on the home network. We have reset the router twice, and it has not helped. More than once we have disassembled and reassembled the Slingbox, putting it together as if it were brand new. Nothing. I have to use the Slinglinks because the Slingbox wasn't in the same room as my router. The Slinglink that plugs into the router has all 3 lights lit, but the one that plugs into the Slingbox only has two (the power light and the link light, but not the network light). I can't configure the router manually (to change the port # or anything) because even getting to that step in the setup process requires that the Slingbox be found on the network, which, as I already said, it is not. We even moved the Slingbox to a different tv so that it could plug straight into the router and avoid having to use the Slinglinks, but it still does not work.

I am absolutely stuck. I have tried everything I know to do...any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

• Re: Box not detected...tried EVERYTHING...need HELP!!!
          Apprentice

Hi, smurfblu555

First, you need to check if the SlingLinks are providing network connectivity to your Slingbox. You only need to verify if the Slingbox shows solid lights (specially the network light). If not, you will need to check these links.

A guide to basic SlingLink and SlingLink TURBO troubleshooting

More SlingLink and SlingLink TURBO troubleshooting

Once you get the Slingbox network light, you will need to check the security settings (security software) running on your computer. This link will provide you with some information and steps to follow.

Internet security and personal firewalls

Finally, we encourage you to check this link in order to get the step-by-step instructions in order to set up your Slingbox for Internet Viewing.

Internet Viewing

smurfblu555

There are serious connectivity issues. The power light comes on and works fine, but the network light never comes on solid. It blinks a few times sporadically, and the horseshoe light even comes on and blinks sporadically, but the network light never comes on solid. It is plugged directly into the router...no slinglinks involved. The router works fine with every other device in the house, though for good measure we reset it back to its factory settings. I have also done multiple resets, including a "hard reset" per the suggestion from tech support the first time this thing went crazy, but nothing works. I have tried all steps involved in the links you sent me.

chakkarinen Apprentice

If you have not already done so, I suggest that you power down both the Slingbox and the router.   Then power up the router only, and program the router to assign the static IP address 192.168.x.254 to the MAC address of the SB (you will find this printed on a label on the bottom of the SB).  Your router will typically have the IP address 192.168.x.1, where x might be 0, or 1, or 10, or possibly some other digit.   Whatever it is, this will be the number you use for the X in the static IP address to be assigned to the SB.

Next, program your router to forward port 5001 to that static IP address you assigned to the SB.

Then reboot the router and power up the SB, and see if you can rerun the slingbox setup routine.

Good luck, and report back any error messages that your receive.