3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 13, 2011 11:24 PM by dbsguy RSS

Does Sling player work with ReadyNAS DNLA media storage devices?

meckcommish

I have two olders Slinboxes (non-HD) and was planning on getting a new Pro HD BUT..... I wanted to be able to plug in the ReadyNAS movie server I have and access it when I am away from my home network. For technical reasons I have not been able to get "ReadyNAS Remote' to work so it seemed that one althernative would be to get a slingbox and either plug in via a ethernet or USB connection. It is possible to take a new slingbox and directly connect a ReadyNAS DNLA movie server (Windows Media server compatable)? The Netgear ReadyNAS movie server runs on LINUS but has never given me any problems accessing it via my network.

• Re: Does Sling player work with ReadyNAS DNLA media storage devices?
          dbsguy Apprentice

A slingbox can NOT be connected to anything other then a component that has audio video outputs (composite, svideo or component) They do not connect to usb or ethernet conenctions for equipment viewing or control. If you had something like a western digital live tv or an older apple tv, then you could view and control that as they have a/v outputs.

They use to make a product in the US called a slingcather that would indeed have the functionality that your looking for; however it has been discontinued in the US.

meckcommish

Thanks. That is what I figured. The sling catcher would take what is on my sling player and put it on my TV but what I am trying to do is take the movie files on a server that I can already access via my home network and view them via the internet in much the same way I watch my home TV signal via the internet and my laptop when away from home. Ultimately, if the sling player can capture a cable TV signal, run a cable box, allow access to a DVD player it is just another step to allow it to play DNLA content via the sling connection. I guess that the Slingplayer Pro HD does not have the ability though it did have a USB port. I thought that 'perhaps' the USB port could acess a DNLA hard drive.If so then the ProHD would dod what I was trying to accomplish (remote access of my movie library). If not I will have to wait for the next generation.

dbsguy Apprentice

You can do exactly what your wanting to do with a free software download of an application called ORB "Classic". It allows for in network and remote streaming of of your computers content such as movies, pictures, videos, web cams, documets, internet audio & videos feeds etc. It decodes all formats in real time to a viewable content media and works on any platform computer as well as smart based cell phone such as the iPhone, Windows based cell platforms and the like.

You might want to check out www.orb.com which is where you will find the software download to run the server on your machine(s). ORB classic player  is the one you'd want (top right of the web page); as they have several software combinations to suit the needs of a variety of uses.