3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 7, 2011 12:30 PM by dbsguy RSS

2 laptops

sandy5151

to use 2 laptops one from  my home the other from elseware,do i have to have the same router details on both such as the port which is 5001 on one laptops also ip address etc,  in other words do ihave to set up both laptops to beable to watch over the internet ,so the one i keep at home works through the   LAN settings the other over WAN  when away from home if you get my gist  ROY

• Re: 2 laptops
          dbsguy Apprentice

No. You only have to setup the configuration from a in network computer at the slingbox location when first setting up the slignbox.

Any computer or device (cell phone, ipad, etc) you wish to watch on there after (in network or from a remote location) simply either needs to have the slingplayer app installed on or you can watch via http://watch.slingbox.com/watch/sling_player

There is no setup that needs to be done on any computer other then what I mentioned above when first setting up the slingbox.

Remember, only 1 user/computer can be logged in at a time from any location.

sandy5151

many thanks   dbsguy for your answer i was confusing myself when i asked that question,the reason being from my own home via wifi ie LAN it works perfect also if i watch via the internet still really good,where i was running away with the idea i needed to configue a second laptop was because my daughter lives less than a quarter of a mile away and we tried with the internet connection it was really unwatchable kept stopping freezing etc ,so i just wondered if i was in fact not setting it up right,any ideas why that might happen she has a good strong internet signal,also could this work useing a MIFI dongle do you know   ROY

dbsguy Apprentice

Have you tried watching your slingbox from a difefrent remote location other then your daughters house? If so what was the playback like?

If you have done the above and it was also choppy/unwatchable, then I would suggest that it is your upload speed fro your ISP at the slingbox location that is causing the issue. remember when you watch at home from the slingplayer app or via the web site connection that it is using your network bandwidth and NOT being uploaded to tthe net and back down so the issue would show itself from there if your upload speed is insufficient.

If it does work fince at a different remote location, then it has to be something with your daughters network or isp's download speed.

And to answetr your question about being able to watch using your mifi dongle; the answer is yes, absolutely.....