3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 21, 2011 4:40 PM by speakerman RSS

Strange internet connection issue

speakerman

I upgraded my DSL line which required a new modem (Qwest Zyxel Q100).  Prior to this, everything worked fine.  After installing the new modem, everything works fine except for one connection.  My son logs in using either the client or the web client.  He gets the initial connection, he can power up/power off, do any number of things, but never gets video/audio returned to him.  It's as if he can connect into my network, but the outbound connection back to him never gets established.  Everyone, including myself, who could connect before, can connect after the modem install.  I can connect locally and remotely over the internet, just as before.  No one has made any changes other than the modem upgrade I made.  Eventually, after about 30 seconds or so, his connection terminates, presumably because the client never sees data coming back from the slingbox.  If he goes to some other location (library, coffee shop) and uses their wi-fi, he connects fine.  It's only on his home network.  But he didn't make any changes, only I upgraded my modem.  Any ideas?

• Re: Strange internet connection issue
          coloradochip

I am having a similar issue.  Same new Modem from Qwest.  I can connect at home via Wifi, but not when I am away from home.  There doesn't seem to be aby support for any of the new modems / routers out there.  I have a Cisco  Linksys wireless router hooked up as well, but that product is not listed either :-(

coloradochip

Check out this link:

http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-005033.html

I had to go into the Q100 and  change the address to static as it says on the above article.  Then I had to go into my wireless router and configure that to be static as well.  Everything seems to work perfectly now.

speakerman

I find it interesting that the hardware is the same, as I am also using a Cisco (albeit it is a Linksys who was bought by Cisco) router.  However, the modem is already set for a static IP and the router address is also static.  What might be different is the symptom, though.  In my case, internet viewing works everywhere, except at my son's apartment.  It was working at his apartment until I upgraded the DSL line with Qwest who sent us the new modem.  That is what is weird, the only hardware change was at the slingbox - a new modem.  The only place it doesn't work is my son's apartment, and there have been no changes there before.  In addition, he can receive the slingbox signal if he goes to other places with public wi-fi.  That tells me his computer is working.  The only place it doesn't is at his apartment, and he hasn't made any changes.

The unfortunate thing is that it isn't that easy to change back to the old modem/line combo.  Even though I have the old modem, it would require a change request at Qwest to return to the old line speed. However, that would be a good test.