63 Replies Latest reply: Jul 29, 2011 11:55 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

HDR FOX T2 + Slingbox Pro

slingroberts

Hello,

I have recently purchased a Slingbox Pro and a Humax HDR FOX T2. When setting up on my slingbox, I could not find the model number so used the option "other". It works almost perfectly, however, the onscreen remote does not have the "media" button that my physical remote has (Allowing me to access the recored programs) along with many other features.

Could you please advise if I have done something wrong.

Kind regards.

• Re: HDR FOX T2 + Slingbox Pro
          alanrichey42 Master

Check out this thread:  https://community.sling.com/thread/3300?tstart=0

Come back if it doesn't help.

slingroberts

Thank you for the reply. I had already had a look at that page and tried some of the points listed.

I could not find my device listed on the websites mentioned, I could also not find another Humax device listed that would allow me to access my recordings.

Thanks again.

adriankorsner Newbie

Alan, I tried the download of the suggested remote for the HDR FoxT2. It works but looks different and is lacking some of the button functionality.

If I select the FoxSat HD remote, it looks right and works fine EXCEPT the 'jump foreward' buttons are greyed out and don't work. You need this to move the day forward on the guide which is almost essential when trying to record programmes while you are away from home.

Is there any way one can activate that button and leave everything else? Thanks for helping

Adrian

alanrichey42 Master
                    It works but is lacking some of the button functionality.

You are going to have be a LOT more specific than that.

If I select the FoxSat HD remote, it looks right and works fine EXCEPT the 'jump foreward' buttons are greyed out and don't work. You need this to move the day forward on the guide which is almost essential when trying to record programmes while you are away from home.

Is there any way one can activate that button and leave everything else?

Nope, that is how Sling have decided ti should work and you are stuck with it.  I'll try building you a Custom Remote tomorrow.

adriankorsner Newbie

Hello again Alan.

Seems that there are others who have a similar problem to mine, i.e. missing or not working buttons on the remote.

The HDR FOX T2 is a brilliant machine that I think will become a standard for all such machines.

Not only is it freeview, but it is also HD and records up to 500mb of programs.

One amazing feature, that is potentially fantastic for the slingbox is that it has a 'TV portal' button which enables you to access the internet, especially, BBC iplayer. As you know you can't access iplayer when out of the UK so being able to watch BBC catchup when you are away on holiday is a fantastic bonus for the slingplayer.

The nearest remote I can find that does most of the T2 functions is the one for the FOX SAT box. Sadly as well as having some 'greyed out' buttons, the TV Portal button is completely missing so one can't access iplayer and the other amazing internet radio stations.

Can you persuade slingmedia to support this wonderful machine which will become, for sure, the benchmark for media tuner/recorder?

Its all you could ever want in a machine and I have a Topfield which was always head and shoulders above other machines.

This is what slingboxes were made for.

All the best

alanrichey42 Master
                        The nearest remote I can find that does most of the T2 functions is the one for the FOX SAT box. Sadly as well as having some 'greyed out' buttons, the TV Portal button is completely missing so one can't access iplayer and the other amazing internet radio stations.

I've redone the remote.  Can you try again and confirm that none of the Custom Buttons action this function, in particluar the 'Media' button.

Can you persuade slingmedia to support this wonderful machine which will become, for sure, the benchmark for media tuner/recorder?

Sling have NEVER replied to me about any technical question or future plans so I doubt they will take any notice now.

Al

bluemoon59

How did you locate the IR receiver on the Humax ?

hugoread

Hello there,

when choosing the 'other' option for the model, you then get a list choice of six options: Code1, Code2, Code3, Code4, Code5 and Custom.

Could you let us know which one you chose?  Thanks.

alanrichey42 Master

I think he used the Custom Remote at Post #3 of this thread, and the instructions tell you what to do

Al

hugoread

Thanks Alan.  The file says it's for a Humax XD-300 (whatever that is) - so is that the same remote as the one we need, which is the HDR Fox T2?

I'll try it anyway.  I've not used custom remote files before but the readme is straightforward enough.

It would still also be handy if someone who had worked out where the IR receiver in the front panel of the box told us!  Cheers.

alanrichey42 Master
                                    The file says it's for a Humax XD-300 (whatever that is) - so is that the same remote as the one we need, which is the HDR Fox T2?

Humax do lots of different boxes, some share the same codes, some don't.  As I understand it the T2 and the XD-300 use the same codes.

hugoread

Thanks very much for that - I'll give it a go.

hugoread

Thanks a lot for that Alan, the remote works a treat now.

The next problem I've got is fairly fundamental - how to get a half decent picture on my SlingPlayer!  The Humax is set to output video at 720p, as the telly it's connected to by HDMI is 1366x768 and the 720 option is the closest to the res of the TV.  It's connected to the slingbox by composite (no RGB out unfortunately).

Looking on my SlingPlayer on my other TV in another room the picture quality is quite frankly awful.  It's all networked on Cat5 and I haven't set up internet access, so it should be streaming it well in theory.

Is there anyway I can improve the picture?  I don't understand why it's so bad.  My whole house is connected by cat5 going through a megabit switch and router, so the cabling is as fast as is possible.  There is an 'Encoding' tab in the SlingPlayer options where you can optimise the resolution for local access, but it doesn't seem to make any difference whatever I set it to.

Any insight or help greatly appreciated as at the moment the slingplayer picture really isn't useable. :-(

hugoread

Thanks a lot for that Alan, the remote works a treat now.

The next problem I've got is fairly fundamental - how to get a half decent picture on my SlingPlayer!  The Humax is set to output video at 720p, as the telly it's connected to by HDMI is 1366x768 and the 720 option is the closest to the res of the TV.  It's connected to the slingbox by composite (no RGB out unfortunately).

Looking on my SlingPlayer on my other TV in another room the picture quality is quite frankly awful.  It's all networked on Cat5 and I haven't set up internet access, so it should be streaming it well in theory.

Is there anyway I can improve the picture?  I don't understand why it's so bad.  My whole house is connected by cat5 going through a megabit switch and router, so the cabling is as fast as is possible.  There is an 'Encoding' tab in the SlingPlayer options where you can optimise the resolution for local access, but it doesn't seem to make any difference whatever I set it to.

Any insight or help greatly appreciated as at the moment the slingplayer picture really isn't useable. :-(

hugoread

Hello there,

Could I ask another question on your HDR Fox T2 set-up if you don't mind?  What connections have you used for the joining the Humax to the SlingBox?  I have the TV connected via the HDMI port, which just leaves a scart socket and composite sockets, none of which are exactly the best quality option!  What have you used and what do you find is the best settings on the player on another telly?

Apologies if this post is in the wrong place, but I can't find any other posts about the HDR Fox T2.

Thanks,

Hugo.

adriankorsner Newbie

The Foxsat remote is the same as the HDR Fox T2. Only thing is a couple of buttons aren't there and the TV Portal is absent.

Adrian

alanrichey42 Master

But what about the Custom Remote I asked you to test ?   That may have fixed the problem .

MarkSM

Alan,

First off, many thanks for your efforts over the years in supporting devices which Slingmedia doesn't support.  I used one of your config files for my Topfield 5800 & 5810 but now they have died I have just replaced them with a Humax HDR FOX T2 so I'm happy to see this thread.   I have downloaded and applied the file from your post of 4th June 2011 and tested it as extensively as I can.  A lot of it works but there are some issues which I will detail below.

By way of context, I am using a Slingbox Solo with the SlingPlayer application version 1.0.9.267 on a Mac running OSX 10.6.8.

I loaded the config file as detailed in your instructions, the power on test worked and many of the buttons worked.  I've tested everything in several contexts and here are my findings where it doesn't perform as expected/hoped:

In the General commands:

G1) Channel Down acts as Channel Up

G2) Volume Up acts as Volume Down

G3) Volume Down acts as Volume Up

G4) Last Channel does not exist on Humax original remote but in some contexts seems to go back through a menu branch

In the Playback commands:

P1) Rewind acts as Fast Forward

P2) Fast Forward acts as Rewind

In the Custom commands:

C1) Custom 11 does nothing (i.e. Humax box makes not response at all not even to say command not allowed)

C2) Custom 12 is the OPT+ key (not Mark) but OPT+ is a vital key so that is useful

C3) Custom 15 is TEXT (rather than Teletext, a minor point)

C4) Custom 18 does nothing

C5) Custom 26 does nothing

Missing features which are greyed out on the remote control shown on the mac desktop:

M1) Step Forward (Very important for navigating the guide and play modes)

M2) Step Backward (Very important for navigating the guide and play modes)

M3) Back arrow key on the bottom right of the remote (not present on the physical Humax remote so I don't think this has a function in the Humax)

Missing features which are present on the physical Humax remote but not on the Slimg Player remote or menus:

M4) SUB (subtitles -- very useful)

M5) Slow Motion (nice to have)

M6) Add Book Mark (very useful)

M7) Show Book Mark list (very useful)

M8) TV Portal (accessible via the Menu/Setup command so not vital)

M9) Sleep (not required for me)

Please let me know if you need me to explain or test anything else.  Thanks in advance for any help you can give me and I will get back to you if you reply to me.

Regards,

Mark

alanrichey42 Master

Hi Mark

Thanks for testing this Remote.  As you know the previous requestee didn't bother.

Let's take each point in turn:

G1) Channel Down acts as Channel Up

Fixed, typing error on my part.

G2) Volume Up acts as Volume Down

G3) Volume Down acts as Volume Up

Not sure on this one as Slingplayer actually hijacks the Volume buttons, ignores the codes and uses it to control itself.  However, I have reversed them just in case.

In the Playback commands:

P1) Rewind acts as Fast Forward

P2) Fast Forward acts as Rewind

Reversed

C1) Custom 11 does nothing (i.e. Humax box makes not response at all not even to say command not allowed)

C2) Custom 12 is the OPT+ key (not Mark) but OPT+ is a vital key so that is useful

C3) Custom 15 is TEXT (rather than Teletext, a minor point)

C4) Custom 18 does nothing

C5) Custom 26 does nothing

OK, OPT+ mapped to the White Button (Custom 26 on the Mac), unless you want it somewhere else.

Missing features which are greyed out on the remote control shown on the mac desktop:

M1) Step Forward (Very important for navigating the guide and play modes)

M2) Step Backward (Very important for navigating the guide and play modes)

M3) Back arrow key on the bottom right of the remote (not present on the physical Humax remote so I don't think this has a function in the Humax)

Missing features which are present on the physical Humax remote but not on the Slimg Player remote or menus:

M4) SUB (subtitles -- very useful)

M5) Slow Motion (nice to have)

M6) Add Book Mark (very useful)

M7) Show Book Mark list (very useful)

M8) TV Portal (accessible via the Menu/Setup command so not vital)

M9) Sleep (not required for me)

Unfortunately you have caught me on the first day of a 12-day holiday and I haven't brought my 'learning' kit.   So we can either wait till I get back or do some trial and error experimentation.   Up to you.

Meanwhile I've attached 2 new BIN files with the corrections in.

Al

MarkSM

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your reply.  I've retested the new files.

The modifications you made to points G1, G2, G3, P1 and P2 all worked as planned including the Volume Up and Down keys which was a bonus given your comments.

Mapping the OPT+ key to the White Button (i.e. moving it from Custom 12 to Custom 26) worked and makes logical sense to me so I am happy with that.

The one problem with the changes is that, whereas the previous version gave me access to the Custom 10-18 codes and Custom 22-26 codes via the Remote Control menu, now I only see Custom 22-26 codes.  This means I can't use List, Media, Source, Text, TV/Radio, and Wide functionality any more.  Any chance of restoring access to the Custom 10-18 codes?

I hope you are enjoying your holiday.  Unless you think the trial and error method is likely to be quick and not get in the way of your holiday time, it's probably more efficient to wait until you get home and have access to your 'learning' kit so I'm happy wait to address the other issues until after you return from your holiday.

Thanks,

Mark

alanrichey42 Master
                                                            The modifications you made to points G1, G2, G3, P1 and P2 all worked as planned including the Volume Up and Down keys which was a bonus given your comments.

Mapping the OPT+ key to the White Button (i.e. moving it from Custom 12 to Custom 26) worked and makes logical sense to me so I am happy with that.

Good.

The one problem with the changes is that, whereas the previous version gave me access to the Custom 10-18 codes and Custom 22-26 codes via the Remote Control menu, now I only see Custom 22-26 codes.  This means I can't use List, Media, Source, Text, TV/Radio, and Wide functionality any more.  Any chance of restoring access to the Custom 10-18 codes?

Sorry, I misread your posting and deleted them all.   New files attached.  I 'think' we now have:

Custom 10   List

Custom 11   Text

Custom 12   Favourite

Custom 13   Media

Custom 14   Source

Custom 15   TV/Radio

Custom 16   Wide

Yes ?

In fact, do you have a USA Slingbox or a non-USA one ?   It will save me having to send 2 BIN files, I can just send the single one.

I hope you are enjoying your holiday.  Unless you think the trial and error method is likely to be quick and not get in the way of your holiday time, it's probably more efficient to wait until you get home and have access to your 'learning' kit so I'm happy wait to address the other issues until after you return from your holiday.

No problem for me.   But make sure you FULLY understand what we are trying to do as I find some non-techies struggle with this.   Each button has a unique code between 0-255, and so far this remote uses about a third of them.   So what we need to do is test the unused codes so see if any of them send the code for the functions your are missing.

So, I have attached a new set of BIN files, using the S2011 code.  Now, please understand that the ONLY button that works correctly is the Power button, so you can run the video setup and see it reacts.   Every other button, including all 15 Custom buttons, are mapped to the first batch of unused codes.  So install this remote and test every single button to see if they give any of the missing functions.

Make sense ?   If not don't do it

Al

adriankorsner Newbie

Is it possible to take a standard sling remote, like the Foxsat one and just put different values onto some of the buttons keeping it looking the same but working differently?

Adrian

alanrichey42 Master

Yes, but it would take you hours.   See my  https://community.sling.com/thread/8533?tstart=0  All you have to do is take a snapshot of the FoxSat remote, break it down into a number of PNG files, one for each button foreground and background (something like 80 graphic files?) and then rewrite the XML files appropriately.   If you do it make sure you post the result here

adriankorsner Newbie

My prob is I really am not sure what the principles of the technology are here with mapping etc and I can't visualise what's going on and what I'm supposed to be doing. I look stupid but I'm not really! Does seem, from the discussions, that you can have a generic remote and assign different values to the buttons from the ones they come with. That being the case, the remote for the HDR Fox2 is almost exactly like the one that sling give you for the FoxSat. The only difference is that the TV Portal button on the T2 is labelled 'List' on the Foxsat. Any way you can change the value for list on the foxsat remote to whatever the value of the TVPortal button is? and do the same with the ff button as Mark mentioned?

Seems crazy to do all that work when sling gives you 95% of the thing you want. It is there. Are you able to access it and use it?

That way, you'll have a remote that looks just like the real one and will work the same.

MarkSM

Al,

Thanks again for your response.

Yes the Custom 10-16 codes are now back in the S2010 code. I'm not sure that Custom 12 Favourite has a function on the Humax.

My Slingbox Solo is a non-USA one.  I'm based in the UK.

I'm probably not as techie as you but I think I understand what you asked me to do so I gave it a go.  I installed the new S2011 code.  The Power button worked as you intended.  I then checked every single button/code in all contexts (watching, playing a recording and going through guides/menus).  The following buttons/keys gave me a response.

Volume Up - worked as the Volume Up

Volume Down - worked as Volume Down

Mute - worked as Mute

Custom 12 - worked as the Audio key

Custom 13 - worked as the Subtitles key

Custom 18 - worked as the TV Portal key

Custom 19 - worked as the Sleep key

Custom 27 - worked as the V-Format key

If I understood you correctly the next step is for you to send me another version of the configuration file(s) with more of the untried codes for me to test out.

Mark

P.S. Just to avoid an confusion in my original response point number G4.  I've realised that the Last Channel key in S2010 seems to be acting as the Back button on the Humax remote.

alanrichey42 Master
                                                                      Yes the Custom 10-16 codes are now back in the S2010 code. I'm not sure that Custom 12 Favourite has a function on the Humax.

My Slingbox Solo is a non-USA one.  I'm based in the UK.

OK, you only need the RV BIN file then.    Once we have all the function codes defined we'll decide how to build your remote.

Volume Up - worked as the Volume Up

Volume Down - worked as Volume Down

Mute - worked as Mute

Sorry, should have mentioned we can ignore those buttons.  Slingplayer never actually transmits those codes to your device, it 'hijacks' them and uses them to control it's own volume.

Custom 12 - worked as the Audio key

Custom 13 - worked as the Subtitles key

Custom 18 - worked as the TV Portal key

Custom 19 - worked as the Sleep key

Custom 27 - worked as the V-Format key

Good stuff, EXACTLY what I wanted.  Although it's a bit annoying we didn't find the Skip+/Skip- codes.

If I understood you correctly the next step is for you to send me another version of the configuration file(s) with more of the untried codes for me to test out.

Atached, using S2012 now to avoid confusion.  That takes us up to Code 150 of the 255 possibilities.

P.S. Just to avoid an confusion in my original response point number G4.  I've realised that the Last Channel key in S2010 seems to be acting as the Back button on the Humax remote.

That's fine, I have the same on my Sky Box.  So we'll leave that.

Cheers

Al

alanrichey42 Master

Just a note of encouragement :-)   I installed your box onto my Harmony Universal Remote and all the missing buttons (Skip+/-, Page+/-, Bookmark...) are defined.  So when I get back home I will be able to learn the codes.

Then we need to try and get you a realistic remote     Can you post a picture of the remote ?

MarkSM

I've tried loading the 2012 configuration you sent me but it won't load.  I get the message "The Slingbox cannot load the IR code you selected...".  It still works with the 2010 and 2011 configuration files you sent me so I don't think it's anything I've changed.  Maybe it need the second file after all?

I've attached a photo I took of the remote control.  I just took it on my phone but it should be good enough for you to see the features/layout.  If you want to actually use the file itself for graphics purposes just let me know as I have the equipment to take a much better photo and can send it in any format you need.

Thanks,

Mark

alanrichey42 Master
                                                                                  I've tried loading the 2012 configuration you sent me but it won't load.  I get the message "The Slingbox cannot load the IR code you selected...".  It still works with the 2010 and 2011 configuration files you sent me so I don't think it's anything I've changed.  Maybe it need the second file after all?

That's why I always issue both files   Here is the PL version,

I've attached a photo I took of the remote control.  I just took it on my phone but it should be good enough for you to see the features/layout.  If you want to actually use the file itself for graphics purposes just let me know as I have the equipment to take a much better photo and can send it in any format you need.

I won't be doing that, you will   I just need to check if Sling have done a realistic skin for that design.  I'll get back to you on that.

alanrichey42 Master

Bad news, these are the only Humax skins we can use.  So your options are either to keep using the default one we have at the moment, use one of these, or design your own. (https://community.sling.com/thread/8533?tstart=0)

Image1.jpg

MarkSM

Al,

I've run the 2012 codes.  The Power button didn't work as expected but I pressed on regardless.  Here's the results:

Power - works as Slow Motion key

Channel Up - works as Add/Delete Bookmark key

Channel Down - works as Show/Jump to Bookmark key

Volume Up - works as Power key

Volume Down - works as Power key

Mute - works as Power key

Digit Number 9 - works as Step Back key

Custom 15 - works as Step Fwd key

Custom 18 - works as Volume Up key

Custom 19 - works as Volume Down key

Custom 27 - works as Mute key

So by my reckoning we have now found all the keys!

I'll have a think about the remotes.  I'll follow the link you sent me and try and understand how to make a new one and if I have the capability/time to do it.

Mark

P.S. the key that I said was the Audio key selects the audio tracks and is the one with a picture of a speaker with a question mark on the remote picture I sent you (2 across and 3 up from the bottom) not the Audio button on the top which is for switching control to other devices.

alanrichey42 Master
                                                                                              So by my reckoning we have now found all the keys!

Except I seem to have Page +/- functions defined in my Harmony ?

Anyway, here are the files with them all in.  I'm not sure now which work and which didn't.  At the moment the Custom buttons are set to:

Custom 10       List

Custom 11     Text
                                                                                              Custom 12     Favourite
                                                                                              Custom 13     Media
                                                                                              Custom 14     Source
                                                                                              Custom 15     TV/Radio
                                                                                              Custom 16     Wide
                                                                                              Custom 17     Add BookMark
                                                                                              Custom 18     Jump Bookmark
                                                                                              Custom 19     Sleep
                                                                                              Custom 20     Audio
                                                                                              Custom 21    Subtitles
                                                                                              Custom 27    TV Portal. 

Which ones do you not need ?

I'll have a think about the remotes.  I'll follow the link you sent me and try and understand how to make a new one and if I have the capability/time to do it.

OK, let me know if there's anything you don't understand.  After what you have just done you shouldn't have a problem  

MarkSM

Hi Al,

I've tested the new files and the only Custom code that is not needed for the Humax remote is:

Custom 12 Favourite

There is one missing which we found earlier, namely V-Format so I'd be great if you could add that one.

For anyone following along, I also successfully tested that the following keys were also present:

Custom 22  Red

Custom 23  Green

Custom 24  Yellow

Custom 25  Blue

Custom 26  OPT+

Concerning the Page +/- functions.  I looked in the manual and on the Humax remote.  If you look at the picture of the remote I sent you you'll see that the Channel Up/Down has Page written above it.  The Channel Up/Down key operates as the Page +/- down key in the right context.  My guess is that the Harmony Page +/- function will use the same codes as the Harmony Channel Up/Down function.

So with those two small mods I think we will be there.

I realised something as I worked on this which you may be able to help me with.  I have found out that I'm not running the latest version of the Mac Slingplayer.  I'm on version 1.0.9.267 but there is a version 1.0.10 available.  It started installing it but it asked me to update the firmware on my Slingbox Solo.  I got nervous and reverted back to 1.0.9.267 in case updating the firmware meant I would only be able to use the web interface rather than the Slingplayer.  Do you know if it is ok to go ahead and update the player and firmware?

What we have done so far should be handy for a lot of people as the Humax is a very good player which Humax is supporting (e.g. there's a new version of the firmware available today via an over the air update) and some enthusiasts are updating the firmware to give it even more functionality.  In the meantime, I find adding Custom keys to the Favourites Bar in the SlingPlayer speeds up accessing them and helps when you need to press them more than once in quick succession.

I'll take a look at the remote images/templates next.   It'd be nice to finish the job once and for all but it might take me a few days to look at that.

Mark

alanrichey42 Master
                                                                                                      I've tested the new files and the only Custom code that is not needed for the Humax remote is:

Custom 12 Favourite

There is one missing which we found earlier, namely V-Format so I'd be great if you could add that one.

OK, I've made Custom 12 the V-Format

Concerning the Page +/- functions.  I looked in the manual and on the Humax remote.  If you look at the picture of the remote I sent you you'll see that the Channel Up/Down has Page written above it.  The Channel Up/Down key operates as the Page +/- down key in the right context.  My guess is that the Harmony Page +/- function will use the same codes as the Harmony Channel Up/Down function.

I suspect you are right,.

I realised something as I worked on this which you may be able to help me with.  I have found out that I'm not running the latest version of the Mac Slingplayer.  I'm on version 1.0.9.267 but there is a version 1.0.10 available.  It started installing it but it asked me to update the firmware on my Slingbox Solo.  I got nervous and reverted back to 1.0.9.267 in case updating the firmware meant I would only be able to use the web interface rather than the Slingplayer.  Do you know if it is ok to go ahead and update the player and firmware?

I hesitate to offer any advice as I use a PC and know nothing about the Mac.  I do recall that some users got nagging messages telling them to stop using the standalone player and move to the web-based player but I don't know the result.  Probably best to put it up as a separate thread.

Thanks for your patience on this, nice we got it all sorted in the end.

Cheers

Al

MarkSM

Al,

Could you please attach the final files.

I'll take your advice and post a separate enquiry about the Sling Player version.

Thanks again,

Mark

alanrichey42 Master

How many times to I forget attachments

MarkSM

Hi Al,

Thanks for the file.  I've thoroughly tested it and all the codes work as expected.

As you surmised, the two existing Humax skins aren't really an improvement on the default one so I also looked at the information on the custom remote control skin you sent me.  I got it up and running and it is much much better than the default one. 

As a consequence of this, I wonder if you could do me a favour and rearrange the custom codes in the S2010 files as follows:

Custom 10:  Media

Custom 11:  TV Portal

Custom 12:  List

Custom 13:  OPT+

Custom 14:  Subtitles

Custom 15:  TV/Radio

Custom 16:  Text

Custom 17:  Add Bookmark

Custom 18:  Jump to Bookmark

Custom 19:  Audio

Custom 20:  Source

Custom 21:  Sleep

Custom 27:  V-Format

Custom 28:  Wide

Custom 22:  Red

Custom 23:  Green

Custom 24:  Yellow

Custom 25:  Blue

The reason for doing this is that it puts the most important keys in the range C10-C18 which are the ones accessible from the configurable remote and has them in a logical order which closely resembles the physical Humax remote.

I've taken the OPT+ away from the Custom 26 White key which I didn't give a function to. I'm assuming that's ok but if not you can assign it a second occurrence of OPT+ or maybe substitute the one I have as Custom 28.

Finally, I looked at the XML files and think I understand what they are doing.  As a test, I tried editing the text on the button of one of the Custom keys but I can't get it to work.  The problem is that when I edit the skin.xml file in the Custom Remote directory it isn't picked up by the Sling Player.  In addition, I also tried updating the Custom Remote.spr file as well by rezipping it with the changed skin.xml file inside it but when I did that the new remote skin disappeared in Sling Player and I only had access to the basic default remote.  I thought it might be an issue with producing Zip files within the mac/OSX environment so I ran an XP system and did the edits and compression there and transferred them back to the mac and that didn't work either.

I'm a bit stuck so any hints you can give me would be gratefully received! It must be something relatively simple.

Many thanks,

Mark

alanrichey42 Master
                                                                                                                      As a consequence of this, I wonder if you could do me a favour and rearrange the custom codes in the S2010 files as follows:

Attached, although that rather defeats the object of the new remote, as it is designed to be configurable.  You are supposed to amend the remote t fit the codes, not the other way around

Finally, I looked at the XML files and think I understand what they are doing.  As a test, I tried editing the text on the button of one of the Custom keys but I can't get it to work.  The problem is that when I edit the skin.xml file in the Custom Remote directory it isn't picked up by the Sling Player.

After you have made a change you have to shut down and restart Slingplayer as it gets those details only on startup.

In addition, I also tried updating the Custom Remote.spr file as well by rezipping it with the changed skin.xml file inside it but when I did that the new remote skin disappeared in Sling Player and I only had access to the basic default remote.

You must make sure the .spr file is read-only as Slingplayer will always try and overwrite it.  But I am not sure why you zipped it up, you don't need to.

Al

MarkSM

Hi Al,

Thanks for the updated files.  I was getting desperate as I couldn't get the editing to work so they helped me get up and running with a functioning remote.  I retested them and now consider them the definitive version.

The reason why I was zipping files was to produce the spr file once I had edited the skin.xml file.  The instructions indicate that for the mac you need the "Custom Remote.spr" file and the "Custom Remote" directory.  However, I have found that the "Custom Remote" directory is not used and you only need the "Custom Remote.spr" file.  Therefore, once I had edited the skin.xml file, I was trying to zip the "Custom Remote" directory into a "Custom Remote.zip" file and then rename that to "Custom Remote.spr".

However, I couldn't get the procedure to work.  After a great deal of trial and error I discovered that the problem was that I was zipping all the files by zipping the complete "Custom Remote" directory whereas what I should have been doing was selecting all the files in the directory and zipping them there.  Both methods zipped all the files but the latter method resulted in the structure that worked.  I think that you only need to set the file to read only if you are replacing the default file but I took your advice and have been doing it anyway to be safe.

That sorted I set about producing the Humax remote skin.  In the course of this I found a few problems with the skin.xml template:

1) The approach for labelling the remote around the Channel +/- didn't work.  To get round this I created a new text state for labels, created a new text definition for the labels and sorted out the code that wrote the label.

2) The Volume +/- key codes were accessing incorrect id codes.  I corrected them to match id codes in the Property.xml file.

Incidentally, I find that the Volume +/- and Mute codes act like any other codes by sending IR signals to the Humax to operate as normal rather than controlling the volume of the Slingplayer.

Having sorted that out, I reconfigured the remote to have all but four of the controls on the physical Humax remote.  The missing ones being Source, V-Format, Wide and Sleep, none of which I think are particularly useful for using via the SlingPlayer and can in any event be accessed via the favourites bar or the codes menu on the Sling Player.  I am pretty pleased with the result.

I've attached the final "Custom Remote.spr" and skin.xml files for the Humax HDR-Fox T2.  I suspect that other people will want to use them.  Could you put them wherever you normally store all these things together with the remote code files?

Thanks for all your help with this.  I think we have got a great result.   If you want me to do the corrections to the template skin.xml file I'd be happy to do it when I get a chance but I didn't want to do that before you had a chance to see what I had done and decide if it makes sense.  Also, if there is anything else you need me to do before we can publish this please let me know.  I haven't run it in the Windows environment so I'd be curious to hear of it runs ok there though I can't see any reason why it wouldn't.

Now back to the day job!

Mark

alanrichey42 Master
                                                                                                                              The reason why I was zipping files was to produce the spr file once I had edited the skin.xml file.  The instructions indicate that for the mac you need the "Custom Remote.spr" file and the "Custom Remote" directory.

I think that you only need to set the file to read only if you are replacing the default file but I took your advice and have been doing it anyway to be safe.

Interesting.  I must admit I did all the testing on a WIndows machine so a lot of the Mac stuff was guesswork.  Nice to see you sorted it out.

1) The approach for labelling the remote around the Channel +/- didn't work.  To get round this I created a new text state for labels, created a new text definition for the labels and sorted out the code that wrote the label.

What exactly doesn't work ?

2) The Volume +/- key codes were accessing incorrect id codes.  I corrected them to match id codes in the Property.xml file.

I have 'id.control.volume.up'  in both the default skin.xml file and the Property file.  What did you have ?

I've attached the final "Custom Remote.spr" and skin.xml files for the Humax HDR-Fox T2.  I suspect that other people will want to use them.  Could you put them wherever you normally store all these things together with the remote code files?

Will do

I haven't run it in the Windows environment so I'd be curious to hear of it runs ok there though I can't see any reason why it wouldn't.

I'll test it out.

Thanks for all your help.

Cheers

Al

MarkSM

Hi Al,

The problem with the labelling was that it didn't appear at all on the remote skin.  I subsequently discovered that this was due to the size of the text area not having been set with CX and CY parameters.  In addition it was operating as a page down button and changing colour with mouse actions.  I set it to be just plain text not related to to any control code (so not actionalble) and not affected by mouse movements (so it is a constant colour).

Here are the two different id codes I had:

- The skin.xml file had: id.control.volume.up

- The property.xml file had: id.remote.volume.up

Cheers,

Mark

alanrichey42 Master
                                                                                                                                      The problem with the labelling was that it didn't appear at all on the remote skin.  I subsequently discovered that this was due to the size of the text area not having been set with CX and CY parameters.  In addition it was operating as a page down button and changing colour with mouse actions.  I set it to be just plain text not related to to any control code (so not actionalble) and not affected by mouse movements (so it is a constant colour).

OK, I'll check that

Here are the two different id codes I had:

- The skin.xml file had: id.control.volume.up

- The property.xml file had: id.remote.volume.up

OK, that makes sense.  The idea of the .control. is that the Volume +/- will control Slingplayer instead of the device itself, and that is how Sling Remotes work.  By changing them to .remote. you made them control the device instead of Slingplayer.   Fascinating stuff, I am still learning even now.

Al

MarkSM

Al,

According to the readme instruction file included in the zipped up version you just posted, I don't think it's the final version we produced but the instead it is the last but one version.  In order for my remote skin to work properly users will need the last version of the config files you posted.  Please can you update this.

Thanks,

Mark

alanrichey42 Master

That was intentional.  As I recall, the final version I sent you moved the Custom buttons around to make your life a bit easier when you used my Custom Remote 'skin'.   Not necessarily relevant to anyone else.

MarkSM

Well it was a lot of work to configure the custom skin file to really mirror the Humax remote control with key placement and labelling.  It would be a shame if that wasn't available to people generally. I can't see why you wouldn't go with the final version to facilitate that but obviously it's your call.

alanrichey42 Master

Sorry, I obviously didn't explain properly.  As far as I am concerned the version I uploaded was the final one we agreed was the correct version.   After that you decided to experiment with my Custom Remote 'skin' and because of that you asked me as a favour to change the order of the Custom Buttons (Post #49) of the thread.    That has no relevance to anyone else.

If you are really upset I'll upload the version with the Custom buttons in your preferred order but I fail to see why that is any better than the original ?

MarkSM

Hi Al,

Thanks for your message.  Sorry for being slow to reply but I've been travelling without connectivity for a while.

I probably haven't made myself clear.  If someone only wants to use the configuration files then I agree it doesn't make any difference which version they use.  However, if they also want to take advantage of the skin I developed using the Custom Remote files then they need to use the later version of the configuration files as the skin is coded using them.  The configured custom remote skin closely mirrors the physical Humax remote, labels the keys, and includes keys such as TV Portal. This is very useful and seem to be what people have been asking for.

For that reason the later option seems to be the best one to go with as it offers the option of using the configured custom skin which the current "final" one does not.

I've attached a screenshot of the custom remote so you can see what I'm talking about.

Mark

alanrichey42 Master
                                                                                                                                                                I probably haven't made myself clear.  If someone only wants to use the configuration files then I agree it doesn't make any difference which version they use.  However, if they also want to take advantage of the skin I developed using the Custom Remote files then they need to use the later version of the configuration files as the skin is coded using them.

OK, I see what you mean now.  But again we will just have to agree to disagree    When I designed the Custom Skin package the whole idea is for people to design their Custom Skin to match the BIN remote.  You did it the other way around and got me to change the BIN file to match the Custom skin.   I didn't mind doing it once but I don't want people to routinely ask me to do that.   So I am happy to leave the BIN file as is and if people want to use theie own skins they can design them accordingly.

Cheers

Al

MarkSM

For some reason when I attached the "Custom Remote.spr" file in the previous post it reappended the .zip extension to the file.  I assume that you can just remove the .zip extension after you have downloaded it.  Hopefully it'll be ok or you can sort it out before formally posting it.  Let me know if it is something I can fix from this end.

alanrichey42 Master

MarkSM wrote:

For some reason when I attached the "Custom Remote.spr" file in the previous post it reappended the .zip extension to the file.  I assume that you can just remove the .zip extension after you have downloaded it.  Hopefully it'll be ok or you can sort it out before formally posting it.  Let me know if it is something I can fix from this end.

Don't worry, Sling automatically zip up attachments when they are uploaded.