3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2013 12:55 AM by xamble RSS

Howto setup Webslinger on Ubuntu (Linux)

I've been working on an easy way to get it working. I'm trying to get webslinger to run on firefox within wine.

I would appreciate feed back on how to tweak it to make it more stable. This is what I have so far:

Run the following in the terminal:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
      sudo apt-get update
      sudo apt-get install wine1.3

Now make sure you have a clean install. I would keep getting errors if I had old files in winetricks and wine:

MOVE and BACKUP your wine folder

mv -Rf ~/.cache/winetricks ~/winetricks-backup

mv -Rv ~/.wine ~/wine-backup

or remove all old wine files

rm -Rf ~/.cache/winetricks

rm -Rf ~/.wine

Now run the following (The first one usually works but sometimes I would get errors so then I would run the second) :

winetricks -q dotnet20 gdiplus quartz d3dx9 d3dxof firefox flash

or

winetricks -q dotnet20 gdiplus quartz firefox flash directx9

After the install reboot.

Launch Firefox through wine and go to http://watch.slingbox.com/watch/sling_player

----------

Notes:

• I noticed dotnet20 and directx is necessary for webslingplayer to run correctly.
      • flash isn't needed but I install it anyway so other websites work fine.
      • Don't know if gdiplus and/or quartz is necessary.
      • Would like to fix black bars from showing up around address bar of firefox.

*** Edited to observe Slingbox Answers Forum House Rules by Moderator. ***

• Re: Howto setup Webslinger on Ubuntu (Linux)
          wxjumper

You don't need to do all of that.  Just put the embedded slingplayer into a local html file.  Copy and paste this text into an empty text file and then save it as "slingbox.html" or something like that:

<HTML>
          <HEAD>

</HEAD>
          <BODY LANG="en-US" DIR="LTR">
          <iframe width='768' height='800' src='http://slingplayer.slingbox.com/embedded/slingplayer.php' frameborder='0'></iframe>
          </BODY>
          </HTML>

It's a work-around, though it is still not as good as having Linux supported.  I don;t see why it would be so hard to make a plug-in for Firefox on Linux.  They gotta know that they have a ton of users who want it.

Paul2150

I have the "Hopper with sling" device (built in sling device).  When I try the above:

http://slingplayer.slingbox.com/embedded/slingplayer.php

it sees my device's name correctly and lists it as "Slingbox, incompatible device".  Upon clicking the link, it gives me the

This Slingbox is not compatible with SlingPlayer.

Anyone have any other non-wine suggestions for me?

(I happen to be running Chrome Version 24.0.1312.56 on Peppermint Three)

xamble

Thx for that.

I was chagrined for nearly 10 minutes after seeing the 'not supported' message when I first tried FF / Ubuntu.

This little trick worked right off the bat. add a  bgcolor="#000000" to the body tag and it's nearly acceptable.

The whole thing gets choppy when expanded to the full screen though and then becomes problematic about returning to normal size.

BUT it works so I'm not complaining to loudly