29 Replies Latest reply: Feb 21, 2011 1:30 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

iPad slingplayer remote custom buttons

hyttam

I have installed Alan Richey's xbox 360 remote, but I have run into a couple of issues:

1. I would like to change the tool-tip on the colored buttons from "red" to B, etc.

2. The custom buttons on the iPad slingplayer are listed Custom22, Custom23, etc.

How do I change these to match the functionality of the button?

• Re: iPad slingplayer remote custom buttons
          alanrichey42 Master

As far as I know these are 'hard-wired' and you cannot change them.

It actually says that in the README file.  Did you not get that far ?

hyttam

Alan,

If I put on a custom skin, will it give me the option of changing the tool tips or just the button images?  Also, I have gone through several pages trying to figure out how to change the skin and none of them seem to work...any URL you can provide with simple instructions?

That and you README doesn't say anything about the iPad...any thoughts on that?

I ask because the Comcast remote (assumedly a custom one for them) both has changes to the tooltips and has custom labels on the iPad.  So, I figure there has to be a way.

-M

alanrichey42 Master

If I put on a custom skin, will it give me the option of changing the tool tips or just the button images?

Just the buttom images.  As I said before, as far as I know the tips are hard-wired by Sling.

Also, I have gone through several pages trying to figure out how to change the skin and none of them seem to work...any URL you can provide with simple instructions?

Again it was in the Readme file   https://community.sling.com/thread/8533?tstart=0

That and you README doesn't say anything about the iPad...any thoughts on that?

Nothing you can do.  Unlike the SlingPlayer and the WebSlingPlayer where we can use different 'skins', all the Slingplayer Mobile apps have a fixed design you can't do anything with.

I ask because the Comcast remote (assumedly a custom one for them) both has changes to the tooltips and has custom labels on the iPad.  So, I figure there has to be a way.

What Comcast Remote ?   What is the URL of the Custom Remote ?

hyttam

Alan,

This skin is great, but I have a couple of questions.  When I tried it with xbox remote (C2010) the skip buttons became disabled (though it worked on the default) and the White button was gone.  Any idea on how to bring back the white button and activate the skip buttons?

Bummer about the ipad.

Great work on all this by the way.  You are the only one I have found with a proper xbox 360 remote.

-M

alanrichey42 Master

What is the location (URL) of the Custom Remote you are using, I have a few 360s lying around from testing.

hyttam

I knew you would ask that question...I have looked through my history over and over and I can't find it.  It was the c2010_pl.bin that has a creation date of Dec 2, 2010 3:40 pm...hopefull that isn't localized to my machine.

I will keep looking.

alanrichey42 Master

If you can post the BIN I can reverse engineer it

hyttam

Here you go.

alanrichey42 Master

OK, the White function is now mapped to Custom 10 so you can rename that button.

The Skip buttons are disabled because there are no 'Skip' functions.  Are you sure that the Track (or Chapter) Next/Prev buttons don't do those functions ?

hyttam

It probably is the track/chapter button.  They work in the default remote exactly as the skip works on the xbox/WMC remote, but they are disabled in your custom skin.

I will try custom10 this evening.

-M

alanrichey42 Master

A bit of history

In the Slingbox default remote there are Chapter(Track)  Next/previous buttons (the ones with arrows and 2 vertical bars) and the Skip Forward/Backward buttons underneath.   There is a bug in the Remote that prevents the Skip buttons from being used.  As you will have seen from the instructions that was one of the reasons I built the new Custom Remote.

But because the Skip buttons on the Sling remote were inaccessible I always put the Skip functions onto the Track/Chapter buttons.  Luckily there are very few boxes with both Skip and Track functions.

So nothing has changed for you, on the default Sling Remote the Track Prev/Next buttons operate the Skip command and they have the identical function on my Custom Remote.

hyttam

Alan,

So, as you can see on the left is the default remote using your c2010_pl.bin where the track buttons work.  The one on the right is your custom skin and the track buttons are disabled.  Any thoughts?

Thanks again for helping.

-M

alanrichey42 Master

OK, I understand, I had assumed we were talking about a PL BIN file, but I guess you are non-US and using an RV file.

So re-read my previous message but swap over where I say the Skip +/- and the Chapter +/- words.  In the RV file it is the Chapter(Track) buttons that are inaccessible on the default remote.

What I am not sure about is why the Chapter +/- buttons appear disabled as well, as I would have expected them to do the Skip+/- functions.   However, as a quicker fix, here is another set of files that map the Skip +/- buttons correctly.

OK ?

hyttam

Alan,

No luck.  I uploaded the new .bin files and the custom skin still has the chapter buttons are still deactivated.  Also, I am in the US.

Thanks for all your work on this.  Everything you have done is much appreciated.

-M

alanrichey42 Master

Sorry, my fault, didn't read my own instructions

Try this one.

hyttam

Sorry, still didn't do it...neither the chapter or track buttons are active.

alanrichey42 Master

Odd.  I installed it on my Slingbox and they are all active.    Are you sure you have overwritten the old BIN file properly ?

Image2.jpg

hyttam

Can you repost both bins?

-M

alanrichey42 Master

The PL one is as above, here is the RV file.  Although you said you were in the USA so it should be the PL file you use.

hyttam

Still not working.  I made some modifications to the custom remote, but I only changed some images and the skin.xml file.  I have attached the Custom Remote.spr and the two bin files I have used.  I did completely remove the bin files from the slingbox then reattach them.  I know it is partially working because the white button/xbox button is on C10.

I have tried the custom remote on Win7 Slingplayer, Mac standalone Slingplayer, and Mac webslingplayer.

Thank you for all the help.

-M

alanrichey42 Master

Nice remote :-)

How about these BIN files ?

hyttam

No, in fact these bins also disabled the white (xbox) button.  But I did find in the previous bin that custom14 worked for the skip forward and custom15 worked for the skip back.  Can you map those values to the skip buttons?  See my previous zip file.

I have also redone the skin a bit.  Once we get this all worked out and I get the comments cleaned up I'll send it your way and you can package it all together if you like. 

-M

alanrichey42 Master

I've done that for you, but that was a mistake I had made before.  If you look at the REMOTE.XML you will see this

<KeyMaps>
                                                                                                           <KeyMap id="idmap.custom.UEI">
                                                                                                               <Map key="072" cmd="id.remote.prev" />
                                                                                                               <Map key="073" cmd="id.remote.next" />
                                                                                                               <Map key="074" cmd="id.remote.red" />
                                                                                                               <Map key="075" cmd="id.remote.green" />
                                                                                                               <Map key="076" cmd="id.remote.yellow" />
                                                                                                               <Map key="077" cmd="id.remote.blue" />
                                                                                                           </KeyMap>
                                                                                                       </KeyMaps>

So the skip+/- should go onto 072/073 which is Custom 20 and Custom 21, which is what the last BIN files did. 

And in SKIN.XML you should see

<Control id="id.remote.prev" type="button" backgroundID="img.button.transport"

foregroundID="img.symbol.prev" x="50" y="120" cx="40" cy="40" />

<Control id="id.remote.next" type="button" backgroundID="img.button.transport"

foregroundID="img.symbol.next" x="130" y="120" cx="40" cy="40" />

So that the Custom 20 & 21 codes are mapped to the correct buttons at the top of the remote.

So without seeing what you have changed in those 2 files I really can't tell you what the problem is.

Also, you are doing things a bit back to front   The Custom Remote you are playing with really assumes that you are comfortable with using Remotemaster to produce the BIN files, so it would be a good idea if you did that first.  It isn't difficult.  Just read Section 6 of my article at http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=6413

And I have attached the RMDU file we are using.

Al

hyttam

I found the problem.  It wasn't Custom 20 & 21 that were mapped to prev and next, it was 14 and 15 that needed to be mapped to skip and replay.  So, I have remapped them in Remote.xml as well as changing last to enter (since that is how xbox handles the last button).  At present, everything works the way I would like it, including the tool tips and keyboard shortcuts, except for live tv.  I tried to map the red button to the live tv button, and it will make the live tv button active, but when pressed it won't change to live tv, yet when the code is mapped to the red button it does work.  If you have any thoughts why the change of mapping in Remote.xml (i.e. <Map key="074" cmd="id.remote.live" /> instead of <Map key="074" cmd="id.remote.red" />) and the button mapping doesn't work, I would love to hear them.

Otherwise, the remote works as I want it.  I'll clean up the comments tonight and package everything together.  Do you want to post them in a new thread with better keywords?

Thanks again for all your work.

-M

alanrichey42 Master

I tried to map the red button to the live tv button, and it will make the live tv button active, but when pressed it won't change to live tv, yet when the code is mapped to the red button it does work.  If you have any thoughts why the change of mapping in Remote.xml (i.e. <Map key="074" cmd="id.remote.live" /> instead of <Map key="074" cmd="id.remote.red" />) and the button mapping doesn't work, I would love to hear them.

As I said before, I am totally lost without seeing what you have done to Skin,xml and Remote.xml.

Al

hyttam

Alan,

I have attached both configurations.  You'll see that they look and function virtually the same.  The only difference is that the RED code is mapped to the live tv button in Custom Remote-red.zip and the LIVE code is mapped to the live tv button in the Custom Remote-live.zip.  In both of these, the remote code is the same, but the live TV one will a) include the tooltip with the keyboard shortcut and b) not actually switch the xbox to live tv (which the red one will).  In the remote.xml and skin.xml files, I have added a comment to where I have made changes.  Just do a search for "<!--- ALAN:" and you should find it.

As always, thank for working on this.

-M

alanrichey42 Master

OK, I see what you have done now.  Again it comes back to my comment that you did things back to front,  You should have learned all about RemoteMaster and practised producing BIN files first

When you changed the REMOTE.XML to make the Custom 22 (Red) button to do live TV, you didn't actually change the code, what you actually did was:

"Change the function called by the Custom 22 (Red) button on your remote to send the code defined by the 'LiveTV' setting in the BIN file'"

Now, there wasn't any function mapped to the LiveTV/External setting in the BIN files you were using, because there is no such button on the default remote.   Hence my statement that you should have tweaked that first.

I've actually mapped the Red function onto the LiveTV/External button in the attached BIN files.  Don't know if that will work, but once you get used to using Remote Master you should be able to figure it out.