10 Replies Latest reply: Feb 9, 2011 8:43 PM by davidyan RSS

How to watch program on TV when away from home?

davidyan

When I am away from home, how can I watch programs on TV ,  internet ready.

Not on pc, mobiles.

What shall I buy or prepare ?

Thanks in advance.

• Re: How to watch program on TV when away from home?
          davidyan

anyone can help me ?

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

If you don't have a SlingCatcher (obsolete), the only way is to plug your laptop or smartphone into your tv.

davidyan

I am new to this system, can you give me more detail on the device.

1. How many device need to buy ?

2. which device use at home, which use at hotel ?

callanish Apprentice

Basically, you will be streaming everything from the slingbox ( Hooked up to your cable or Satellite box and connected to an internet connection ) at home where it will stream your programming to your computer no matter where you are. If your computer and TV has an hdmi connection, you can watch the slingbox stream on the TV. If you can find a slingcatcher, it was designed, to do away with the computer and communicate directly with the slingbox with the benefit of using a hardware remote to watch your slingbox and stream it to another location without the hassle of having to connect the stream through your computer. So, to answer your questions

1) You'll need 1, the slingbox to watch your home content on a computer or 2 devices if you can purchase one of the few slingcatchers that still exist for people like me that want to watch their home countries content on their big screen TV in another country and enjoy the advantages of having a hardware remote control.

2) More than likely you'll be using your laptop at a hotel to watch your slingbox at a hotel and if you are lucky, the TV will be HDMI equipped.

davidyan

My understanding is below:

The condition is I will be oversea most of the days. I need to watch TV away from home, don't use computer things.

The solution is :

I need to buy one Slingbox cacher to use at home, connect to TV source and internet.

buy one slingbox at oversea to watch the TV through internet.

Is that true ?

callanish Apprentice

Might have misunderstood you with my last reply, so I'll say this. If you are going to be at a permanent location while watching your slingbox, then get the slingcatcher if you can along with the slingbox. If you will mostly be using the slingbox while travelling on the go, then the slingcatcher isn't as important. Just make sure you correctly setup the slingbox for remote viewing by port forwarding your router at the location of your slingbox. The slingbox needs to be correctly port forwarded with your router for the slingcatcher to work or you will have network issues connecting to the slingcatcher and you don't want to find this out when you are too far away to do anything about it like I was. Once you've setup your slingbox, I would advise you to use the slingplayer software to check the stream type. Press Alt.shift.i on a computer keyboard to check stream type. If its TCP, the slingcatcher will work fine. If its SNATT or RELAY, you will have issues with the slingcatcher and that means you've incorrectly setup the slingbox for remote viewing with the catcher.

Hope all this makes sense to you. Bottom line is, I think from what you are saying is that you want a slingbox to be used with a slingcatcher in a permanent location, rather than using the slingbox with a computer while travelling.

davidyan

I don't know why slingbox don't provide slingbox catcher any more. However,

Your comments are very useful for those people who travel and work oversea, 2000 miles away from the home.

Thanks for both of your comments and effort.

Best Regards.