11 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2011 11:17 PM by cyprusman RSS

Connecting to Virgin + cable box

cyprusman

I have been experiencing difficulties controlling my cable box remotely when the TV back home is being used by another family member who is watching the TV through the free view TV and not the cable box. I have the slingbox hooked up to the cable box via the scart connection using the AV connectors and I believe this maybe causing the problem. Please advise on the best connection to use to over come this problem. Thanks Barrie

• Re: Connecting to Virgin + cable box
          alanrichey42 Master

That sounds logical, but you haven't actually told us what the problem is.   Makes answering a bit difficult

cyprusman

The problem that I have is that when the TV which is hooked up to cable box is switched off I have full control of changing the TV channels, however as soon as the TV is turned on my remote control fails to change the TV channels. It appears that the TV at home has presidence over my slingbox. Barrie

callanish Apprentice

I don't have a freebox connected to my slingbox, just Virgin's V+ Box. I remember experiencing all sorts of issues using SCART, so I switched to component from V+ to slingbox and Component out from Slingbox to TV. Whether the Tv is on or off, I have experienced no issues with channel changing. If at all possible, try using the V+ box's component connection instead of SCART ( composite ).

alanrichey42 Master

I agree, that is the way to get HD to both the Slingbox and the TV

However, in theory having the TV being driven by the HDMI and the Slingbox being driven from the SCART should work OK, although you only get an SD signal to the Slingbox.  So I don't understand why you are seeing this problem. 

I assume that when the TV is turned on and someone in the house uses the 'real' V+ remote that the box switches channels ?    If so it makes no sense, as both the real remote and the Slingbox 'blaster' are simply sending an identical IR signal from the remote/blaster to the V+ box.

Am I missing something ?

cyprusman

Thanks for your reply to my problem. I cannot control the cable box when the TV is turned on and being viewed from the parent household!!!

regards

Barrie

alanrichey42 Master
                              Thanks for your reply to my problem. I cannot control the cable box when the TV is turned on and being viewed from the parent household!!!

That wasn't my question, I knew that already.   My question was can someone in the parent household change the channel using the V+ remote when the TV is on.

cyprusman

Yes the person in the parent household has normal control. The set that I have in the parent household has been working fine both there and here in Cyprus, for one year, however at Christmas the TV was changed to a HD model and the virgin box was replaced with a V+ box from the the normal virgin cable box. my question is what is the best way to connect the cable box/slingbox to overcome the remote control problem as discussed. I will have to get someone to make these changes for me as I live in Cyprus.

regards

Barrie

alanrichey42 Master

We have already answered that question, V+ component to Slingbox then component to TV.

As regards the Remote problem I will have to bow out as it just does not make any sense.  As far as I know the V+ box has no way of knowing whether the IR signal it is getting is coming from the real remote is any different from the IR signal it is getting from the Slingbox IR Blaster, so I don't see how it can behave differently between the two.

Al

cyprusman

Hi many thanks for your reply; if I have the scart lead removed and replaced withe the S video lead only will this provide me with both the video and sound outputs from the cable box to the slingbox. I have no experience of using  S video cables.

kind regards

Barrie