4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 9, 2011 8:11 AM by newboy RSS

Dry running SlingCatcher

newboy

I have just bought a Slingbox and SlingCatcher to enable me to watch UK TV at my holiday home in Portugal which will soon have broadband. As I am new to this technology I would like to set the system up and test it here in the UK  where I have the time to do it and where I know I can get help if needed. I only have one router here in the UK so presumably I would need to set up the SlingCatcher at a friend's house and link it to his TV. Also, will I need a PC in Portugal to set up the SlingCatcher there? Does anyone know if the 90 day free advice from Sling Media starts when the Slingbox/SlingCatcher is purchased or when the software is downloaded?

• Re: Dry running SlingCatcher
          dbsguy Apprentice

The 90 day assistance starts from the day of purchase.

Yes you can set it up in the UK to test it out first; infact I'd suggest that.

Setup the slingnbox in the home and then try to use the sling cather on the same LAN as well as from a remote location to eliminate problems before actually moving the slingcather to it's final destination in Portugal.

Just a helpful hint. Setup a "static" internal IP address for the slingbox so you won't experience any issues after a power outage. If you don't it might put you in a positiion of being without tv until someone can reset the box or resetup the slingbox at the home location. By settign a static internal ip address though the router you will eliminate the issue and have a consistant always on connection.

newboy

Thank you that was reassuring but how do I put a static IP address on the slingbox?

dbsguy Apprentice

The steps to setting up a "Static IP" address depend on your specific router. You'll need to consult the user manual, manufacturer website or web access control panel for your specific make/model.

newboy

Thanks. Slingbox all set up and working great. Now I need to test Slingcatcher before I take it to our holiday home in Portugal. It's easier to get help here in the UK if it doesn't work. The problem is persuading a friend to let me test it through their router and using their TV. They are very protective of their networks and (a bit like me) don't really understand the Sling concept. So that I can explain with some reassuring confidence what will happen when I plug the Slingcatcher into their router and their TV into the Slingcatcher, can someone please explain what will happen. I know that the TV may have to be tuned in to the correct input port but that'a about the extent of my knowledge. For example, I understand that no Slingcatcher configuration programs will need to be downloaded from the internet and that it isn't even necessary to have a computer on the Slingcatcher end. So, is all the configuration done through the Sling catcher's remote control? Also, how does the slingcatcher know where to go to find my Slingbox? There must be some input needed at the Slingcatcher end to call up the signal from the Slingbox. Again, is this done through the remote control device that comes with the Slingcatcher? I just don't want to plug the Slingcatcher into my friend's router and get that well known "he doesn't know what he's doing" look.

Regards

Malcolm Guy