5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 22, 2011 11:44 AM by dbsguy RSS

List of IP addresses accessing Slingbox

claire123

Hello,

My laptop was stolen 1.5 months ago. One evening 3 days after I noticed the lights on the pro-hd was lighting up, then stopped after a minute or so. Is there a place where the log-in history is stored so I can see a list of IP addresses that tried to access it? Sorry I don't know where else to post this question..

• Re: List of IP addresses accessing Slingbox
          jimfitzgerald Apprentice

I don't know, but if I was you, I would reinstall the Slingbox with new user name and password, etc.

claire123

I will be doing that, but I also want to know if there's a chance to find out where the thief's connecting from before I erase everything.

dbsguy Apprentice

Most routers keep a log of incomming and outgoing connections listed by time, ip address , port and the internal ip address that was connected to or from.

Access your routers web control panel and look under system or status then logs......Remember by default your slingbox should be runing on port 5001 to access the internet (unless oyu changed it to another port manually); so I'd look for conentions to that port or the internal ip address you have assigned to your slingbox. 

claire123

Thanks for the tip. I found the log, it has only the history from today (I use Airport Time Capsule wireless router). I see a lot of this message relating to 5001, about every 5 minutes: Binding added for tcp, xx.xxx.xxx.xxx:5001 to xx.x.x.xxx:5001 with lifetime 300.

I'm guess this is a regular update thing, since I only set up slingbox the way it was and didn't modify the port number.

So next time if I see the slingbox lights come up unexpectedly, i should look in the log right away?

dbsguy Apprentice

Either that or invest in a better router. Apple makes some great products; but their airport line is NOT one of them. Even the most basic d-link or linksys/cisco units have many more features including a log that is much more extensive and goes back like the energizer bunny (on and on and on.....)