13 Replies Latest reply: Mar 3, 2013 5:46 PM by jojeeka RSS

Internet APPs ready TV

bmconde

Looking into purcahsing a VIZIO internet APPS ready TV.  Will I be able to connect the Internet directly into the TV and access the SlingBox pro?

• Re: Internet APPs ready TV
          Novice

Hi bmconde,

The Slingbox should be connected directly to a compatible Set Top Box such as Cable Box, DVR or Satellite Receiver, to get the list of compatible devices you can check the following link:

Compatible Audio and Video devices.

dbsguy Apprentice

The answer is no.

You can NOT access/view your slingbox from a TV directly even if it's "internet ready" or incoporates "internet apps" (no matter what brand it is. This would require that Slingbox and the TV manufacturers built an RVU infrastructure client into the sets which they do NOT.

snowsurfer

Seems like all slingbox would really have to do is sign some kind of agreement with the TV maker.  If the sling player can play through a browser, it can play on an internet capable TV.  I don't think there's any special hardware on an iPad or Android phone.  Maybe Vizio and Sony want too much money though?

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

Why did they stop making/selling the SlingCatcher.  Seems like a similiar device to that is the answer.  That way, Sling gets all the revenue and profit.

dbsguy Apprentice

jimfitzgerald,

Although it may not be what you want to hear (nor any of us for that matter), Sling Media is an Echostar owned company. With the anticipation and marketing of Dishnetwork in the US and the release of the sling extender they made this move intentionally. The marketing strategy they have implemented pushes the requirement of a Dishnetwork service package/subscription in order to fill that void in the market at this time. 

dbsguy Apprentice

snowsurfer,

That would assume the following:

1. TV manufacturer's have compatible web browsers and or an OS that will support the current platforms that Sling Media software can run on.

2. That it would be deemed beneficial to both Sling Media and the TV manufacturers to incoporate the product/service in terms of monetary companesation for both partiesbased on the anticipated comsumer need.

To which both answers are they aren't. TV manufacturers web based applications don't uincoporate a browser (unless were talking about the googletv), and the engine/OS are based off of any of the currently supported platforms (such as windows, iOS, Mac, etc).

snowsurfer

Right.  I'm sure that's accurate.  But, if they both decided they would both make money, Slingbox could easily adapt their software to run on whatever OS any TV has.  It would not require any hardware change.  Just an agreement and a slight modification.  I, for one, think the exposure gains from packaging with Vizio, Sony and maybe even Samsung (similiar to the Netflix and Pandora business models) would be worth it.  Sooner or later Slingbox is going to have real competition.  This is hardly mind-bending technology.  It would behoove them to be the number one established streaming television provider when that happens.  And nothing helps that more than eyes on the product.  To think that people are going to switch their cable provider in order to use their slingbox is a little bit unrealistic.  I'm sure some people will, but the vast majority will not, in my opinion.

kbencher

http://www.samsung.com/us/article/apps-built-for-your-tv

Does this change anything?  Seems like Samsung is launching TVs with a full web browser.

Could you pull up Sling online and watch your Slingbox.

dbsguy Apprentice

Again, I highly doubt it. It may be a "full web browser" by definition by their definition; however Clinton has showed that definition varies by peoples biews on the subject matter. I'll garentee it won't allow installation of add-ons such as the axctive x control needed for the slingplayer web portal to correctly function.

jojeeka

Active X controls are absolutely not needed for SlingPlayer.  They may be used for IE to play SlingPlayer but not needed.  Active X controls are a client side technology only used by Internet Exploder.  http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/937641

If Active X was *needed* for SlingPlayer to run then Firefox would not be able to play SlingBox content.  Because Firefox does not use the Microsoft technology of Active X.

This is the worst of your arguements against why VIA can't have SlingPlayer capabilities.

The future is (and should be) a TV on my wall in which I don't have to have 10 or even 1 box connected to it in order to have new or extra functionality.  TVs will be big tablets on the wall and I don't need to have a bunch of boxes, whether stacked in a cabinet and video streamed through the walls with CAT6 or fiber, or right next to the TV.  We have the technology for the TV to do everything we need without a bunch of ugly boxes.  For some reason companies are slow to provide what is obvious sometimes.  Maybe this is because they can make more money short term or they don't have the vision.  Either way they (Sling or any other media tech company) *will* have to support all brands of TVs with their app stores, which ever app store they may use or someone will be smart enough to do it and win in the end.

jojeeka

1. To point #1... The most difficult technology for SlingPlayer is streaming video.  The YouTube app does it on VIA and so could SlingPlayer. 

SlingPlayer came out for iPhone before Android IIRC. Then SlingPlayer came out for Android it was not as good as the iPhone because the channel lineup didn't scroll fast through the channels like on the iPhone.  I had to use my FIOS guide and it sucked.  My son's iPhone scrolled through the channel lineup and got to where he wanted much faster.  My point with that is a watered down first version could be created for VIA if enough people emailed them.

The infrastructure that Sling has setup is hardware at your house communicating with their servers and telling the SlingPlayer somewhere in the world which IP address to connect to (since most people aren't setup at home with a static IP address) for your SlingBox.  Making sure the streaming video (which a ton of companies have the capability to do so that isn't the hard part) makes it to the right device and is authorized.  It is not rocket science nor so hard that there aren't other devices which do essentially the same thing.

2. To point #2... The mutual benefit would be.. for Sling to sell the app on VIA for $29.99 (the old price or $14.99 the new price) a copy like they do on Android and iPhone devices.  On major upgrades they could charge a fee if they really thought the VIA app would take away from their Dish Sling business.   And for Vizio the benefit is to sell more TVs.  I personally looked for VIA to be present in my last 3 TVs.

• Re: Internet Issue
                                kbgordon

I am trying to set up my Sling Box; however, half way through the set up phase, the internet receives by the Sling box stops working. How can I solve this problem?