9 Replies Latest reply: Jun 2, 2017 11:22 PM by alanrichey42 RSS

Where is the desktop app?

Taffeta

I have just bought a Slingbox 350.  Followed all of the instructions fine until I was directed to download and install desktop app by clicking link.  The only desktop app is for Slingbox M1.  Where is the one I need?

Also is there anybody in customer service?  I tweeted this same question yesterday, not even an acknowledgement received!

Thanks to anybody that can help me.

• Re: Where is the desktop app?
          alanrichey42 Master

I have just bought a Slingbox 350.  Followed all of the instructions fine until I was directed to download and install desktop app by clicking link.  The only desktop app is for Slingbox M1.  Where is the one I need?

That is the one you need, but it can only be used for viewing by the M1.  But you will need it to configure the 350.  Once configured you watch through the browser players.   Basically Sling have made an absolute mess of thing recently.

Also is there anybody in customer service?  I tweeted this same question yesterday, not even an acknowledgement received!

Sling customer service operate only by phone, and charge you $30.

rmsoucy@hotmail.com Newbie

Al, These guys have done it to me again. They no longer support the website access and require the setting up of an Sling Player appa....Nice but I am in Singapore and the Slingbox is in Hawaii. It asks for me zip code and then looks at my ISP/IP address and crashes. It wants me to reconfigure my Slingbox. 2 problems, I am not on the network with my slingbox. and I can watch the slingbox using Apple iPad and iPhone, so a reconfig is not an option.

Would it be possible to go back to the software of 5 years ago and reload the connecttion using the old apps. I know the IP/TP address for the slingbox. Just need something that does not get all hung up about not being able to match the ISP/IP address with a Zip Code. ....or is there a zip code that will make the software happy and ignore the mismatch?

rmsoucy@hotmail.com 

alanrichey42 Master
                  They no longer support the website access
                  I can watch the slingbox using Apple iPad and iPhone, so a reconfig is not an option.

Are you sure ?  No-one else is reporting a problem with the browser player.  What are you seeing ?  And if you can still view on iOS then you definitely don't need to reset.   And I have never heard of them checking the IP address after the ZIP.   I just use USA and 90210 when I reconfigure.

Hi Al,

Thanks for taking a look at my problem.

The Desktop PC is in Singapore.

I have loaded the suggested Sling Player software app on the the Desktop PC.

However, the Slingbox is in Hawaii.

Here is what I get when I try to setup the Slingplayer.

As noted I do not want to ReConfigure the Hawaii Slingbox.

It is working on my iPad....just not on this PC.

When I click on "Connect" option, it loads the web browser and we start all over again.

FYI, I did try doing the reConfig and that is were I got into the problem of the conflict.

I used Hawaii and 96815 as that is the location of the Slingbox.

My assumption is that it crashed because my IP address and the location/Zip Code are not the same.

Regards,

R. M. Soucy

alanrichey42 Master

OK, remember we are talking about reconfigure NOT reset, so all we are doing is re-entering the remote.   Sling recently changed their system so you configure via the Desktop app.   As usual they screwed it up and lots of people have posted that the browser then said the box was unconfigured.   So you are not alone.

Now, the country and the ZIP code are ONLY for the onscreen program guide so if you don't use that it doesn't matter.   So try USA and 90210 and see if it still crashes.  And I don't think the IP is relevant, I use those details all the time in the UK to reconfigure mine.

I will give it a try when I get home...in Singapore.

However, FYI I tried to do it that way for the Japan (Junko) slingbox and it did a reset, blowing away my .bin settings.

Fortunately I was in Japan when I tried it using my notebook PC....and was able to re-reset that Slingbox.

My concern on trying this with the Hawaii Slingbox is I am not going to be back their for several more months. If the reconfig does a reset, I'll be screwed. ...but I am willing to give it a shot.

Regards,

R M Soucy

Sent from iPhone

alanrichey42 Master

Odd, in all my years on the forum I never heard of that before.   I have regularly re-configured mine, and other people's without ever it causing a reset.   Although a soft reset should do no harm, it's only if it does a full factory reset and loses connectivity with the router, that you have to be at the Slingbox location to do the initial setup.

Well we have made some progress....but below is where the wheels come off the wagon.

Which choice should I be making?

I have tried the last 2 and I get knocked out. It tells me Slingbox no longer supports the browser and sends me back to the download Sling Player.

Sorry to be such a pain, we are so close....in the left panel I could see my DVR and the remote was changing channels.

Where to from here? Which button should I be selecting?

Regards,

R M Soucy

Sent by iPad

alanrichey42 Master

I assume that picture is after you went through the configure inputs and successfully installed the remote ?  On mine the bottom option simply opens Firefox and goes to http://newwatch.slingbox.com and I can watch the stream.

What happens if you simply shut down the Desktop Player and then open up the URL in a browser ?    Have you tried all the browsers (Edge, IE, Firefox, Safari..)

I don't recognise the picture, what sort of Slingbox is it ?

Does the procedure work on your other Slingbox ?    If so it might just be that your Hawaii Slingbox is broken.