5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 17, 2011 5:05 PM by callanish RSS

Problem when ISP changes my IP address

pdkottler

2 to 3 times a day, Quest changes the IP address of my router. When this happens I get disconnected and have to wait 2-15 minutes to reconnect. Quest wants to charge me extra for a static IP. Do others have this problem? Is there a work around from slingbox? Does it happen on both slingplayer and the browser based viewer?

Thanks

• Re: Problem when ISP changes my IP address
          callanish Apprentice

I'll need someone to correct me on this if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that the slingbox pings its current IP address back to the sling servers allowing you to find it even when your ISP changes your IP address. You keep referring to Quest, which I'm not familiar with. Are you talking about Qwest? I can only give you my perspective and say what you are experiencing isn't normal. Could it just be a bad router, because if the slingbox is communicating correctly, there should be little hands on maintenance involved when its running. To be honest I've had very little issues with my slingbox since I installed it on June 2009 other than a reboot once in a while, so if it turns out that a static IP address solves your problems, and you use your slingbox enough times to justify the extra cost, I'd say pay the extra. Doesn't sound like it would be all that difficult to go back to a dynamic IP address if it doesn't work.

pdkottler

Yes, I meant qwest. My understanding is that the private ip address is the address of the slingbox on the home network. This does not change. What changes is the public ip address, which I understand to be the ip address of my router which is being changed by Qwest. The new address eventually shows up on my slingbox account support page, but this takes several minutes and I  cannot reconnect until slingbox registers this new ip address. When the address changes, the picture freezes and after a minute or so I get a "connection lost" error.

Is this normal?

Thanks

hmiller Newbie

Having your ISP change your public IP that often is NOT normal. I have never purchased a static IP and I have had both DSL and Cable from several different providers. My IP addresses have lasted for months in some cases.

That seems excessive.

callanish Apprentice

Like HMiller says, it's really excessive for Qwest to be changing your public IP Address that much. Like his ISP, they don't change my IP address for months either. No wonder the poor slingbox doesn't know whether its coming or going. Would a simple question to them for why they keep doing this to you result in you getting a simple answer from them ( I don't know how efficient QWest tech support are ) or are you better off just bypassing the whole problem and going static to see if it solves everything. As long as they keep messing you about with this IP address change, I can only see you having continuous slingbox connection problems.