6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 15, 2011 7:43 PM by goldie527s@gmsil.com RSS

Streaming issues w/ Pro-HD

goldie527s@gmsil.com

I'm trying to install a new Slingbox Pro-HD for a client, but we're experiencing streaming quality issues that make it unuseable: freezing, stuttering, and the dreaded "Current network conditions aren't good enough for your video settings" message. This happens even when trying to watch live TV over the local network, so it can't be related to the quality of their internet connection, insufficient upload speed, etc.

I should probably mention that they already have an older Slingbox Pro, and I'm attempting to install the Pro-HD as a second Slingbox. Of course, my initial assumption was that it was being caused by some kind of IP address or port conclict between the 2 Slingboxes. However, this problem occurs even if I disconnect the Pro and take it out of the equation entirely.

Some additional info:

* The Slingbox and computers are all hard-wired to a single router via 100baseT Ethernet - no Wi-Fi involved.

* The cable box is non-HD-capable and is connected to the Pro-HD's S-Video input, so it's not even like it's trying to stream high-bandwidth HD-quality video.

* The've been using their old Slingbox Pro for several years on this same network, and it's always worked great (still does).

Any help or advice will be much appreciated.

JohnB

• Re: Streaming issues w/ Pro-HD
          goldie527s@gmsil.com

>>The cable box is non-HD-capable and is connected to the Pro-HD's S-Video  input, so it's not even like it's trying to stream high-bandwidth  HD-quality video.

On second thought, maybe it's automatically upscaling the non-HD signal and streaming it as HD? Not sure if the Pro-HD does this...

GaryMO Newbie

John --

A shot in the dark here, but check your router's firmware to see if you need to update it.  Check out my posting from about a week ago.  I swapped out my Classic for the Pro-HD and had the same problems as you, even when I hardwired the box to the router, eliminating the wireless part of the equation.  Seems like the Pro-HD demanded the latest router firmware, whereas I was able to get by with the older firmware with the older Sling boxes.

goldie527s@gmsil.com

Boy, is my face red. It turns out the problem was actually with the coax connection to the cable box (slightly loose). With a digital cable box, a crappy signal or bad connection can cause the audio/video to freeze & stutter. I foolishly mistook this for a bandwidth/streaming issue with the Slingbox, which would look very similar. Duh!

(Still not sure why I was getting the "Current network conditions aren't good enough for your video settings" message. That's the other thing that led me down the wrong path.)

I did a few more things to complete their multi-Slingbox setup. I manually configured port forwarding so that both boxes can be accessed simultaneously via the internet. I also had them upgrade their internet service to Roadrunner Turbo  - this gives them higher upload speeds to handle 2 simultaneous video streams.

Anyway, all is now a-ok in Slingbox Land.

JohnB