8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 13, 2011 10:09 AM by nyrnd RSS

New Router troubles again

nyrnd

I have a new router and a new DirecTV DVR.  Neither are on the Slingbox list.  Wish they were more like Logitech Harmony in keeping up with this stuff.  Anyway, I am unable to connect and am sick of paying the charge for tech support.

I am able to watch via my home network but not internet viewing.  I have a Slingbox AV, DirecTV HR 24.  Netgear router WGNR 37AV (3700),  Windstream DSL modem.  I have the settings for Port Forwarding at 5001 start and end.  I am using Windows 7 at home with Internet Explorer 8.  And i have a linksys switch that has my Slingbox as one of the 3 boxes it connects to.  I cannot connect internet viewing no matter what i do.  Help.

• Re: New Router troubles again
          tanock

I'm having the same issues, and I will throw the unit away before I pay a fee for tech service to install their product.

nyrnd

Well, I thought I had the answer, but I don't.  Of all the wired and wireless devices on my router this is the only one with any trouble.  It is always the only one with trouble.  I will keep trying however.  

Rangersmjs

Ive had the same type of issues. I have an original Slingbox AV and have recently bought a new router and modem with N and G bands to use different things on them. The Slingbox wont work on either. I have tried everything including support and it wont work. I am not going to waste my money on a new Slingbox. These machines should be able to work on any Router and its ****, that they wont help you for free or anything. I wanted to get it on my Iphone, but if it's not working, I'm not going to pay the $30!

What can you do Slingbox????

Novice

Hi nyrnd,

If the Internet Viewing Setup is not going through, you can use the www.portforward.com to set the a rule for the Slingbox, besides that, you would need to discard any streaming restriction (such as Windows Streaming Traffic) from your ISP

CHIPTROP

I have the same problem and same slingbox and router. I did note that the sling website says to use the iphone you need a Solo, Pro or Pro HD. I would still like to get this thing working on the internet.

CHIPTROP

So I did get it working on WiFi on my laptop around the house so took a chance and got mobile for iphone and it is working on my local WiFi. Have to tweek the push button time as only the first digit of a two digit channel entry is working. Will see if it is actually out on the net tomorrow. Picture is not bad at all on the iphone. setup still said couldn't set up the sling on the internet but it is working so far. 

nyrnd

Well, I made the original post to this and let me tell you where I now am.  Because of an upcoming family trip I did the worst thing possible.  I paid for the repair to the settings of $30.  It turned out that there was the correct setting for the Netgear 37AV and also required update to my Windstream DSL router which I had not done.  I was able to back up my Netgear settings but did not update the Windstream settings (I couldn't find the backup function on this modem/router).  As with ever single trip we have ever taken, it stopped working halfway through the trip.  Upon returning as usual i reset everything.  No problem with the Netgear, but  the Windstream had lost the settings.  I called Slingbox thinking i had some sort of 90 guarantee.  Wrong!  They don't even guarantee their own repairs (software settings).  I am not aware of any other companies like this, though I am sure they exist.

So, let's see, the setting for my Netgear router is not available at the Sling site, the setting for my Windstream modem/router not available through Sling either.  For another  $30 they'll repair.  Very similiar to selling an inexpensive printer but having expensive ink.  I'm done with this paying over and over again when the settings don't exist.  So long to Slingbox unless I can get the setting working myself which I doubt.

This time, however I will visit our BBB to review and discuss as I don't think this is right.