25 Replies Latest reply: Nov 5, 2011 7:25 PM by KenSharp Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Audio Only not appearing

Bass4Him

I like to listen to the news while I am at work without watching it.  I used to be able to listen to my DVR channels without having the picture being shown.  There was a button for this, or I could turn the screen off on my iPhone.  Now, the button is no longer there and when I turn the screen off, the Slingbox disconnects.  How can I get back to the audio only mode.

• Re: Audio Only not appearing
          Jeff102410

I just talked to tech support.  They verified that this was a feature that they removed in the new version and that it will not be coming back.

The only reason I upgraded and purchased the Pro-HD unit last July was to be able to listen and use the audio only feature on my iPhone.  I used it all the time...all day...so much for that.

Tech support transferred me to bookkeeping (I think) and told them my purchase/use scenario and that I wanted to return the Pro-HD unit.  After all, it was a decision on their part that makes everything useless to me.

Just got the RMA number from them via email...I'll post back if there are any issues with returning the unit...

Of course, I'd rather keep the unit and get the Audio Only feature back.

Lacking my preference, my hope is that if everyone sends back their units, someone will start to get a clue on this issue...

whitemountain

Here's a workaround that allows those of you with SB Pro HD (or other SB that has shared audio with Composite and S-video or SB with multiple selectable device inputs) to achieve audio only and save BW.

I use this with my Droid X and it works fine but I have not tried it on the iPhone app but should also work as well as all SPM apps. Maybe someone can try it and report the results.

Instructions:

Use the Setup Assistant / Configure Video Sources to configure both Composite and S-video to same source (your Cable box, DVR, Satellite receiver, etc). Leave one of the video jacks on the SB unconnected (either Composite or S-video). The unconnected video input will be the device you select when wanting audio only. Connect audio (red / white) to the shared input for Composite / S-video. If you have a SB with no shared audio but have multiple device input support (separate audio jacks), use two RCA Female to 2-RCA Male Splitter Adapters (like monoprice.com product id 6261 pictured below).

When you select the device at your mobile device that doesn't have a video signal you should get an on-screen message something like this: "Weak or no video signal detected". The sound should still be as normal. Select the alternate device and you will get video as normal with the same sound.

If you don't like the message "Weak or no video detected" on your screen, instead of leaving one of the video jacks unconnected, you'll need to find a video source that produces a black (aka blank) screen. I have an old satellite receiver that I use for music only that has a screen saver which produces a black screen after 5 minutes of no remote activity. Also some PC OS's have screen savers, like WinXP, for "blank". A black screen will still use a small amount of BW for the video signal portion unlike the no video input connected method which should use zero BW for video signal.

http://images2.monoprice.com/productmediumimages/62611.jpg

Jeff102410

WhiteMountain...you the man...

Works perfect on the iPhone.

I had to go into the box through the PC program and set up the composite input.  I then unplugged the video cable.

On the iPhone, I connected to the box and went to options/change device and then select the composite input that I set up.

I don't mind the blue screen as I'm listening to the SlingPlayer with the screen off anyway.  I'm getting some 56kbps download speed...perfect...

Also, this give something that the previous audio only option did not.  It remembers my input setting so that the iPhone SlingPlayer starts in the hacked "audio only" mode all the time.  Exactly what I was wanting.

So I guess I'll not be sending back the unit.  Just a shame that it requires a "hack" of sorts...and another user (with great out of the box thinking) to get back what SlingMedia took away...

Again, Thanks WhiteMountain

StuFL

Thanks for the workaround.  I modified it a bit because both of the outputs from my Directv receiver were being used.  I ran a audio cord from the Slingbox ProHD component audio output to the SD audio input and set it up as an SD Directv receiver using composite video (which is not connected).  Now I can select the composite input and have audio only.  The channel change still works.  With my iPhone I turn off the screen to escape the slingbox blue "no video" message.

Works great on AT&T 3G with very few dropouts.

yurtkuran

Thanks for the update here.  "Audio Only" is a significant use case for me.  Its amazing to me just how little sling cares or listens to their customer base.  As much as I like my slingbox, I am so looking forward to a competitive alternative.  Are you listening sling?   I'm sure Apple is!

Stang

Although the workaround is one way to do it, it really would be nice to have this feature back without having to mess around with extra cables, input sources, etc.  I don't think that Sling realized how many people used it, and I can't imagine that it would be any trouble to bring it back.

I used it to listen to music-related programs while in the car.  With most people onlimited mobile plans with their providers, not having to stream the video was a great way to preserve bandwidth while be able to listen to programs.  This was particularly useful while driving.  Sporting events were also very handy to listen to when a local radio broadcast of the game was not available.

I'm actually at a loss as to why Sling would remove this feature.  There seems to be absolutely no downside to retaining it, but removing it does make the Slingbox significantly less useful for many people.  The desktop client still has this feature (for now?), but the mobile version is where audio only made perfect sense.

Come on Sling - do the right thing.

dwcolvin

The workaround provides me nothing.  I could care less about saving bandwidth.  What I want is to save the battery power to (unnecessarily) power the screen, and the unwanted glow that causes. 

Come on, Sling... this is easy... don't turn off Slingplayer Mobile when I turn off the display!  Even better, bring back the Audio Only option.

jradi72

If your primary concern is to save battery life, just click the sleep button on your iphone.  The screen goes completely black and audio only plays through.

dwcolvin

This isn't an iPhone, it's Android.  Sling's Android version stops when the screen is turned off.

It's pretty obvious at this point that Sling doesn't care what its customers want. 

jradi72

I think they do care, they just haven't figured it out yet, or maybe they have.

I will say that I like the new version much better than the previous version for a lot of other reasons.  The channel guide was a much needed upgrade, overall it seems more responsive, and they did clear out a lot of clutter that used to make it much harder to navigate.  Unfortunately, we lost a feature we all love in the process, but they may come back to it once they've had time to rethink it and maybe use the new version for themselves.

Sort of like how Apple finally brought back the ipad rotation lock switch! 

yurtkuran

Do you think Sling reads this forum?  I really hope they do, but I also have my doubts.  There are a lot of people (via twitter) who are upset with sling; eg. over charging for the iPad and iPhone apps, not having an universal app, etc. But in fairness, there are plenty who speak highly of them too.  I really believe that should Apple ever introduce placeshifting into the Apple TV then Sling's day will be numbered.  I don't want that to happen.  I do want Sling to listen to their loyal user base and satisfy our concerns, beginning with the audio-only option.

dwcolvin

I'm a member of the Sling beta program.  They don't think removing Audio Only is a problem.

I've paid for Slingplayer Mobile 3 times... Palm OS, Windows Mobile and now Android.  The last has the least function (although the picture is much bigger).

yurtkuran

I used the instructions in here to downgrade to 1.3.  I SO wish I didn't have to do this - it just doesn't feel right for some reason, but Sling has given me no other choice.

As a previous person said "Come on Sling - do the right thing"

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/01/28/ipad-101-reverting-to-an-older-version-of-an-application/

ASRSling

This sucks that they removed this feature. I use slingplayer in the car and loved that I can listen to a game while I am on the road. It would stay connected, no matter how fast I was going. Now with the option removed, it barely works while I am walking! It keeps cutting off in and out.

please just bring the option back. Thanks!
                                      thomasfxlt

Bring back Audio Only....... This is a great alternative for those of us that invested in your box. When I'm driving, I like to use it as an alternative to XM for news stations like CNN, Fox and sports channels. I don't watch and drive.... just listen. I don't want to use up all my monthly bandwidth on a video stream that i'm not using.

Markurski

ALCON,

BUMP to having a "Audio only" mode in Android...

Just got off the phone with customer support and the operator said the best way to get the software engineers to put back in the "Audio only" mode is to send feedback requesting the change...maybe if enough of us send in feedback, they may make the change!

Keep the press on those lazy engineers.

Stang

I think that you're right - we need to voice our concerns to Sling directly.  They apparently don't know that this feature was used by so many people, or they simply don't care.  The problem is, Sling doesn't exactly invite us to make contact unless we are within the 90 complimentary support window.  Does anyone have any telephone numbers, email addresses, etc. that we can send our feedback to?

Quite a bit of time has passed since the "upgrade" on iPhone and Android and we're still without the old audio only mode.  We shouldn't have to buy extra cables, use the extra bandwidth, and drain our batteries faster to get the same functionality that we had in a previous version.  The fact that audio only is available on the desktop and not on mobile devices is not only absurd, it also shows that the Sling developers are out of touch with how their clients use their devices.

Please bring it back - it shouldn't have been removed in the first place!

yurtkuran

Does SlingPlayer 2.3.3 have the audio only feature?

Thanks!

goofypal

Yes, i want audio bandwidth function only.. if not.. my bandwidth limit is up too quickly and will have to go back to XM..

goofypal

How do i let slingbox know, asides posts on this blog.. perhapse call them?

Cosmo

Hey sling! I have paid for this apparently on blackberry/windows (thanks that I could transfer this), android, and and iPhone. Loved the blackberry audio only because of reduced battery and data usage.  We need this back in the next update.  I'm frustrated with spending $80+ on apps.  Maybe we need to start looking at alternative products that cater their product to what we want. If you kart reading our comments lease let us know what the problem with audio only is and if you will or will not bring it back.