1 Reply Latest reply: Feb 2, 2011 8:18 AM by ranaleon RSS

Upgrading old to new - if possible

icantdrive55

I've had the Slingbox Classic for 5 years or so. It's worked great until recently. The cable was uped to HD, and Comcast put in a wifi router, rather than a DSL router. I'm traveling so I'm not at the house to see if the new router has an ethernet plug on the back.

Here are my questions:

1   If there is an ethernet plug on the back of the new wifi router, can I just have my daughter plug the Classic into it?

2   If there isn't an ethernet plug, how do I connect?

3   Since I have HD now, I'm thinking of getting the new PRO-HD. The above two questions would also apply to it.

4   The viewing area on my laptop with the Classic is about 3 inches wide and 2 inches high (clear). I can watch full-screen but the picture's really ragged. If I get the PRO-HD, what size will the picture be? I have 3Mp connection speed at home. When I travel I usually always get between 1.5 and 3 at motels.

5.  My new laptop has a 17 wide screen. Would that make any difference in what I see?

Thanks. If things look good I will order the PRO-HD this week.

• Re: Upgrading old to new - if possible
          Apprentice

Hi, icantdrive55

1. Yes, as a matter of fact, it is mandatory to connect the Slingbox to a router in order to get Internet access.

2. The router should have at least one ethernet port. If it is already taken you will need to get a different router with available ethernet ports.

3. The answers are the same if you get the Slingbox PRO HD.

4. The Slingbox PRO HD need a higher connection speed since you will stream a higher quality video signal. The following link will allow you to get the Tech Specs for the Slingbox PRO HD.

Tech Specs for the Slingbox PRO HD

You can also check the following link in order to get information about the available resolution options.

Resolutions in SlingPlayer 2.0 for Windows

5. Not sure if this is what you mean, but if the screen is bigger, the video signal will also be bigger.