2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 11, 2011 12:40 PM by ricky969 RSS

how to setup following components...

ricky969

cable: cox/Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3200

cable modem: motorola surboard

router: apple airport extreme

slingbox: slingbox pro-hd + slingturbo (1 port)

ISSUE #1

connected components video cables to component jacks labeled IN on the slingbox and connected the ends to cox cable box (Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3200 - http://ww2.cox.com/support/print_media/tv/equipment/user_guides/cable_box/SA2200_3200_user_guide.pdf)

from the cox cable box connected components video cables to TV

connected antenna to cox cable box (only)

do not have a dvr and not interested in connecting dvd/vcr or other sources.

problem with this configuration: TV and iphone or TV and computer are tuned to the same channel. i'd like to watch one channel on TV and another channel on iphone or computer. i was under the impression that the sling had a internal tuner.

Should i connect all three a/v sources (HD, SD, and COAX) to the slingbox? can someone please tell me what's the best and more professional configuration?

ISSUE # 2

On the Motorola do i need to setup the gateway? do i have to do the same thing on the Airport Extreme?

Thank you very much for your help. once i'll gather all the information to connect my components properly i will draw a diagram with detail instructions for users with the same issues.

Thanks

Rick

• Re: how to setup following components...
          alanrichey42 Master
          problem with this configuration: TV and iphone or TV and computer are tuned to the same channel. i'd like to watch one channel on TV and another channel on iphone or computer. i was under the impression that the sling had a internal tuner.

It does, but it will only work for TV signals sent OTA or unencrytpted down the cable.  i.e. the type of cable signal where you can plug it directly into a TV.  In your case I assume that Cox have encrypted the signal so you have to use their Cable box to watch the signals.

Just think of a Slingbox as a TV that happens to send it's signal down the Internet rather than to a screen.   So it will need exactly the same 'extra' kit as you would need to install a new TV in your bedroom.   Another cable box maybe ?

• Re: how to setup following components...
              ricky969

this is how i resolved my issue;

1) i connected the slingbox using the components cables to the cable box, and from the cable box to the TV

2) i connected the coax cable from the secondary output directly into the slingbox (so that it is using the internal TV tuner)

3) i connected the composite cables to the DVD player (just because i had the cables. i usually don't watch dvd)

then i re-ran the setup, configured HD, SD and coax sources and now on my iphone or computer i can choose the source. so if i choose coax, someone can watch another channel on the TV without interfering with each other.

Obviously the coax does not get all the channels that the cable box gets, however it served my purpose perfectly.

I'm not sure i have the internet connection set up properly but everything works so i'm not going to mess with that anymore.

hope this will help other people.

rick