37 Replies Latest reply: Nov 24, 2012 3:04 PM by txgruff Branched to a new discussion. RSS

PRO-HD after update network won't connect

JamesBurke

After completing an update to my slingbox pro-hd I lost network connectivity.

I have tried changing ports, cables, routers and nothing.

As far as I remember, the update completed successfully.

• Re: PRO-HD after update network won't connect
          JamesBurke

By the way, the power light is solid.  The network light is off.

I have tried both the 10 second and 30 second resets.

Also, I have a sling catcher that has never been used.  I switched power supplies and this did not solve the problem.

JiAvW

I am having the same problem. My slingbox pro-hd was recently updated with the new firmware 2.1.80. Power light solid red. Network light is not illuminated. The slingbox logo on the slingbox is lit in red.

See attached picture. Have been unable to access the slingbox for a week or so.

The network cable works, as does the router and the router port.

Attempting to connect results in error code W200. I have tried resetting the slingbox. Nothing happens, even if I hold the reset button for a full minute.

slingbox.jpg

JiAvW

After doing some sleuthing on the forums, it seems the power supply may be the issue. I assume you've had yours for about 2 years as well, and it's been running 24/7 since?

I'm going to try to find a suitable replacement online, as the slingbox store is "out  of stock."

https://community.sling.com/message/32526#32526

https://community.sling.com/message/32523#32523

Best of luck.

JamesBurke

It is not the power supply.  I have replaced the power supply and it still does not work.

This happened after the firmware was upgraded.  This has something to do with the firmware.

Is there a new firmware to flash?  If so, how do I flash, since it won't connect.

If not, how do I back out the firmware to the previous version.

chakkarinen Apprentice

If, as the photo implies, your Slingbox is sitting directly on top of your cable box, then it could be a heat problem.   I've read on some other posts on this forum that the Slingbox can misbehave if it overheats -- the recommendations are that it not be place on top of any device generating heat -- in my case, I had to add some extended "feet" to the bottom of my Slingbox to lift it a half-inch above the rug that I had it sitting on, in order to improve the air circulation beneath it.

JamesBurke

That is not the photo to my set up.  My slingbox is not overheating.

Still having the same problem.  Yo Slingbox, are you going to chime in here?

What is the solution?

I have been having the same issue except only for a week - not since January. All of a sudden, my Slingbox Pro-HD stopped connecting to the network. The power light is on - the network light is not. I, too, have tried new cables, a new modem/router, resetting the Slingbox - everything I can think of with no luck.

I was thinking that maybe the ethernet port on the slingbox went bad, but if your issue is related to an update, maybe mine is related to the latest update. In searching for troubleshooting tips for this, it seems the widespread problem now is that others have the power light and network lights on, but the slingbox isn't being recognized in the network. Apparently, several people have talked to slingbox tech support about this and they have no resolution, which doesn't sound promising.

Curious - have you tried step 5 on this page http://support-in.slingbox.com/get/KB-005589? I know it's for SOLO but on another forum someone said it would work the same for the Pro-HD. It didn't work for me. Wondering if it worked for you.

I'll keep searching for something to help. If you find something, let me know!

fiosolimited

Same problem as everyone else. Slingbox Pro HD was working fine until this week. Now our Linksys router sees it with no problem but everytime we try to scan for it the Web or Desktop software "cannot locate it". We've unplugged and replugged everything, hard re-set and soft re-set everything and tried every possible thing suggested in the forums. We bought the slingbox in October of 2010 so it is less than 1 year old and we are in Hong Kong while the Slingbox is at my parents place in Boston. Luckily my parents have been enormously helpful in troubleshooting but to no avail.

Something has gone terribly wrong with this last update and its a shame for people like us stuck on the other side of the planet where watching shows back home is one of the only comforts we have.

This SUX!

77doomsday

same problem here have gotten it working again by pulling all cables resetting everything and a lot of things i cant remember works fine afterwards for some time but then goes back to not working have had this problem for about 3 days. very frustrating an update or solution would be greatly appreciated cant seem to get reset to work now at all.

fredc

I'm having somewhat similar problems.   A few days ago, the slingbox stopped connecting to the players (ipad/mac etc).  I have a fixed DHCP address for the player, it wouldn't ping.   Ok, toggle the power, no luck, tried power off the switch it is plugged into, nope.  Replace the network cable?  yep, still no luck.  Ok, bigs guns, reset.  Now it gets an IP.   So try to get into setup ... after dozens of tries, resetting, re-resetting, re-re-re-setting nothing.  Plug it into the 1GB switch closest to my mac, repower, ok, now the sling app (not the web thing, that doesn't work ...) and eventually it started the auto-setup process.   Got it back up, reconnected back to the other segment of the network (my network has 2 1GB switches and a dlink wireless firewall.  The 1GB switches are connected together and the first switch goes into the firewall, this way I get 1GB between my computers.   The slingbox is normally plugged into the 2nd 1GB switch) and it worked ... 12hrs later, we have a power blink.   The slingbox isn't on a UPS.   I'm now back to square one.  The slingbox won't connect.   Tried resetting and doing the above dance but nothing.

What I have observed is that:

- When a fresh reset works, there is no password required for first time setup.   The slingplayer app will autodiscover the slingbox and you can set a password.

- When it doesn't work, the slingplayer app will say no slingboxes found and ask you to add one.  If you add one, either by direct IP or by the slingbox ID, the new entry (typically 'my slingbox') is created but the little button on the left is grey, not green.   If it isn't green, any operations will prompt you for a password, but since the box has been reset, there isn't one ... so obviously the software hasn't connected.

- In the above case, I can still ping my sling so it is getting an IP, it just isn't autodiscovering ...

I haven't done a firmware update recently.

Some of the various pages/docs say to just connect the slingbox directly to a PC for initialization.   Not sure how that is supposed to work as my macbook (or PC laptop) isn't a dhcp server so the slingbox can't ask for an address ... but what the heck, I took a shot and as expected that doesn't work.

My slingbox is not directly atop my cable box, it is on a separate shelf, nice and cool with a wire spacer keeping lots of air below it.

My sling is now plugged into my UPS ... if I *ever* get it to initialize again, it is not going to have to deal with power blinks ...

Thanks for reading ...

Update:

If you bring up the slingplayer app (on mac) and make sure it is sitting on the 'Sling Directory' dialog and then do a reset, the app seems to recognize that there is an unconfigured slingbox in the house and it will show up in the dialog.   If you had any other entries, they will still be there but won't say 'LAN' in the status line.   Once this happens you then click 'Watch' and the slingplayer app will walk through the configuration steps without challenging you for a password ...

Now, if only that type of a description were somewhere in the docs or on the web and searchable ... maybe now it is ;-)

Time to cross my fingers and hope that the UPS battery outlasts the useful lifespan of the slingbox ;-)

• Re: 'PRO-HD after update network won't connect' (Sling Media's Update Bricked Mine)
                              sunland

Same problem here. My Slinbox Pro HD worked swimmingly for a couple of years until this week. Whatever update referenced in Sling Media's SOL apology (see copy below) bricked my Slingbox. I spent 4 hours yesterday resetting everything and still the network light will not stay on. The fix that they mention below does NOT work.

*** Edited to observe Slingbox Answers Forum House Rules by Moderator. ***

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Announcement: Having difficulty with your PRO-HD this week?

We found a problem that may have caused some Slingbox PRO-HD models to appear unavailable for TV streaming since our last software update a week ago. If you experienced this difficulty, please accept our apologies.

To (attempt to) fix this, we've transmitted a different software version to all Slingbox PRO-HD models. This version of the Slingbox PRO-HD internal software has been thoroughly tested and it offers improved performance. For affected PRO-HD units, to complete this software installation, please: Reset your Slingbox PRO-HD by briefly pressing the Reset button (on the Slingbox PRO-HD back panel). Allow 10 minutes for the software to install. Please do not interrupt the process! At times, the indicator lights may flash, while at other times there may be no apparent activity. After waiting 10 minutes, confirm that the Power and the Network lights glow steadily once again. Try connecting to your Slingbox as specified below. Using your computer or mobile device, check to see: That your Slingbox PRO-HD appears in the Slingbox Directory; That you are able to connect to your Slingbox PRO-HD and stream TV as normal. Again, please accept our apologies for any difficulties. Thanks again for being a Slingbox customer. Best regards, The Sling Media Support Team by Dana at Jun 17, 2011 11:06 AM Expiring the announcement will not delete it but will remove it from the public announcement list.

• Re: 'PRO-HD after update network won't connect' (Sling Media's Update Bricked Mine)
                                  wrector

Okay, I have been experiencing the same problem as everyone else....unable to connect to my Slingbox Pro HD.  I saw the announcement by Slingbox of THEIR problem and followed all their procedures.  I can see my Slingbox in the directory, but now it is asking me for my ADMIN password.  I don't know what that is?  It says I can watch TV by unclicking the Admin password box and use my view only password which also  no longer works.  I am in China so it is impossible for me to see my box. 

I really like the way Slingbox admitted to the problem and posted a fix, but they did not mention the problem I am having now.  They are losing points as I type this!

baley

This is really bad. My HD-Pro worked fine until the update. Is Sling going to help us out on this? THEY bricked my Sling. I didn't ask for the update.

Please help us. I have tried everything and nothing works. Just a solid power light and no network light.

HELP

JamesBurke

Hi,

So my slingbox has not been working for 7 months.

However, today it has started working again.

I went through their reset protocol and held the rest for 30 seconds and then unplugged the unit for 30 secondse and then plugged it back in.

I verified there was a link light betten the slingbox and my router (there was).  I left it for 10 mins.

I think went through the setup from the slingbox website and it found my slingbox.

Sucks to have been without it for 7 months, but I seem to be back in business.

Jim

fredc

If it is asking for a, password it didn't see the box and offer to configure it.   You have to be on the local network with zero or one switches in between.   If it works correctly you won't be asked for a password till after some confit is done and the n it will be to set it not to connect.  See the tail end of my previous post.

tom123il

I live in the St. Louis area, with frequent thunder storms, tornados and power outages I think my now bricked Slingbox Pro HD is a paper weight due to an interrupted update.  Seriously updates probably should not be pushed to devices unless there was some way to guarantee that the process would NOT be interrupted.    Now that I am in this situation anything to do other than purchase a new Slingbox?

fiosolimited

****UPDATE

After trying literally EVERYTHING (and making my poor parents do it all locally as we called them over Skype since our Pro-HD box is at their house while we are in Hong Kong) we had basically just had it and called Slingbox Support.

1. We were forced to pay 29.99 for them to tell us to do, literally, everything we had already done 10 times. However, they CLEARLY had realized at that point that the last update was a disaster and they must have pushed the newer, better updated to our box, because miraculously, after the 100th reset after 2 days of trying (but now while Slingbox support is on the phone with us)  Miraculously........ it worked. We had to completely re-initialize and set everything up from scratch including the port forwarding but it worked and to the credit of our Slingbox Support rep Thomas, he was VERY patient and made sure everything was working perfectly and double, triple checking which was at least comforting.

Anyone who is still having problems should just bite the bullet and call support. BUT, I think that any of us who were forced to do this to get our units working again should be credited the support fee. It's simpy unfair that we should be charged for something that was completely outside of our control and I would hope that since Slingbox has addressed this issue and clearly admitted that they are aware the last update caused this connectivity problem, that they will do the right thing and refund us our 30.00 since that update was the only reason our slingbox stopped working.

Here's to hoping.

Good luck everyone.

Expert

Hi fiosolimited - we're so sorry you had this issue in the first place, and you're right - you should not have been charged for support on this issue, because it was our fault. So we will definitely refund you the support fee in full - an agent will contact you to initiate that refund.

Glad to hear that your box is back up and running - the firmware fix is actually quite easy to get running, but some network setups can be complex, so that can add to the frustration of having to do this. Fortunately, once the new firmware is installed properly, it offers improved performance.

The steps to update to the new, improved firmware are up on the front page of Answers. Anyone who has these symptoms after the last failed firmware update should read that first - if, after trying those steps, your PRO-HD still doesn't appear in your Slingbox Directory, or shows no network light on the front of the box (see attached graphic), just call us at (877) 467-5464 and mention the failed firmware update. Note that there will be no charge for support on this specific issue!

slingbox-lights-status.jpg

cherylhans

I had the same problem as everyone here!  Worked fine up until Friday night 6/17/11 and then the upgrade caused my SB to stop working.  I did everything they said, reset, reset again, unplugged, reset, etc.  After realizing that this was NOT my problem, but a SB problem, I called the tech support number, which they make VERY difficult to find (877-467-5464).   After describing my problem, I was put on hold for "George" to come back and tell me that my SB was purchased 12/2010, and therefore out of the 90-day "courtesy" tech support window, and it would cost me $$ for them to tell me how to fix it!!!   After going ballistic on poor "George," telling him that my SB worked perfectly fine until the upgrade that THEY did NOT ME, and that they should be giving me "courtesy" tech support since this was their issue.... he asked me to please hold.  George politely came back and told me that they would do this as a "courtesy" for me.... (really??? I only spent about hundreds of $$ on the the box, the APP, the Ipad2, converter for the Ipad, etc).  Anyway, George had me disconnect the entire slingbox from everything.  He had me bring it to where my router was hooked up, and direct connect with the CAT5 wire (shorter wire than the 30' wire we were using) from slingbox right to router, and then connected to the power source. Guess what???  It worked!!!  Connected fine!  He explained (don't know how true this is), that with the upgrade, if you are using a long CAT5 cord, sometimes the power source for the internet connection is not strong enough for the entire upgrade to work properly.  I just finished hooking it up to the original TV and connections, and everything is working fine now.

* Edited to observe Slingbox Answers Forum House Rules by Moderator. *

Expert

Hello all - as per the announcement on the front page of Answers, we're aware of the issue that some PRO-HD's have had after the June 11th firmware update.

To fix this, we've transmitted a different software version to all Slingbox PRO-HD models. This version of the Slingbox PRO-HD internal software has been thoroughly tested and it offers improved performance. Looks like it's fixed most of you that have posted, but for those still having issues, read on...

For affected PRO-HD units, to complete this software installation, please:

1. Reset your Slingbox PRO-HD by briefly pressing the Reset button (on the Slingbox PRO-HD back panel).
                                                2. Allow 10 minutes for the software to install. Please do not interrupt the process! At times, the indicator lights may flash, while at other times there may be no apparent activity.
                                                3. After waiting 10 minutes, confirm that the Power and the Network lights glow steadily once again.
                                                4. Try connecting to your Slingbox as specified below.

Using your computer or mobile device, check to see:

• That your Slingbox PRO-HD appears in the Slingbox Directory;
                                                • That you are able to connect to your Slingbox PRO-HD and stream TV as normal.

If, after trying the above, your PRO-HD still doesn't appear in your Slingbox Directory, or shows no network light on the front of the box (see attached graphic), just call us at (877) 467-5464 and mention the failed firmware update.There is no charge for support on this specific issue!

Thanks,

The Sling Support Team

slingbox-lights-status.jpg

ctyboy

*** Edited to observe Slingbox Answers Forum House Rules by Moderator. ***

Is there ANY way to get this to work remotely???

-- D

Expert

If you're remote and/or have no direct access to your Slingbox, your best option is to give the above instructions to someone who does have physical access to your Slingbox. Yes, it's not ideal, but fortunately, it's just a simple press of the reset button and you're done.

Again, our apologies for those folks like yourself who have been inconvenienced by the faulty update!

Gs.Dad

After many calls and a couple of hours on the phone.  Not to mention moving my slinbox close to the router so it would have a shorter cable they did some checks and decided they needed to send me a completely new slinbox because mine couldn't be fixed.  They sent it fairly quickly and included a return label so I could just drop the old one off at UPS and it was all done.  The new one works just like the old one did before the tragic update.

I'd keep calling them because that's the only thing that worked for me.  But once they decided mine couldn't be fixed the process couldn't have been any better.

highfly

Same problem here.

I have a new slingbox pro hd, only 1 month old, and suddenly the power light is solid, the network light is off.

Seems bricked, and I already tried to switch the power supply with a working slingbox solo, but same issue.

I found multiple similar cases in this forum, but did anyone found the solution yet? (Before I send the whole thing back to the shop where I bought it.)

tnx

shaysfn Novice

Hey highfly,

Thanks for using our Answers Forum.  I understand that your having an issue with the network light on the front of your Slingbox.

I do have a couple of questions for you.

1.  Do you have your Slingbox connected directly to your router, or are you using some kind of ethernet bridge?

2.  What is the name that is on your Power supply?

I would definitely recommend contacting Sling Media Support, especially since you have not had your Slingbox that long and it would still be covered under the 1 year warranty.

The above link explains how to get in touch with us anywhere in the world.  In the US you would simply call 877-GoSling(877-467-5464), the hours of operation are 10am to 10pm est 7 days a week.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Sling Media Moderation Team

txgruff

was working 2 weeks ago. does not work now. if i unplug power source and replug, power light and network light will illuminate for a few seconds then go out. problem seems to be the ac adapter.???

schang8

Most likely the power adapter. If it is super hot, it is definitely bad.

Or if it is cold and no power light up, it is definitely dead. I had a

few that goes bad already so I highly suggest you buy a new power

adapter first. Slingbox sells them for $20 with nominal shipping charge

unlike all other third party who charges alot more.

There is another alternative... an aftermarket power adapter that may be

more durable... they look like a laptop power adapter. Make sure the

voltage and the amperage rating match exatly.... Amperage rating can be

more with zero problem. It will have more capability than needed.

shaysfn Novice

Hey txgruff,

Thanks for using our Answers Forum.  I understand that your having an issue with your Slingbox not staying on.

I have a link that will help you.

The above link explains how to get in touch with us anywhere in the world.  You may have to do a PPI if you are out of warranty, however, if we find that the issue is a hardware issue, there is the possibility that that fee will be refunded.

In the US to reach our support, you would simply call 877-GoSling(877-467-5464), our hours of operation are from 10am to 10pm est 7 days a week.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Sling Media Moderation Team