3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2017 8:59 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

No Video message on Slingplayer with error message re remote

RTDToo

I've got a Slingbox Solo hooked up to a Comcast DVR.  At present, I have no IR cable hooked up to it.  When I try to view programs remotely via Slingplayer, I get a No Video Signal display with a text message below the viewing screen "Your current input is unconfigured to use remote control...."  indicating that the remote is not set up, which, of course, it is not.  It is my understanding that one should at least be able to see what is on the screen at any one time regardless.  However, considering that such is not the case, I obtained an IR emitter cable from Frys, UPC #601520921525, but I found that it has a 3.5 mm mono connector whereas the Slingbox has a 2.5 mm port.  I've been trying, unsuccessfully, to find an adapter locally, but there is a concern there as well.  Whereas the emitter has a mono connector, it appears from Youtube Solo setup instructions that the IR Blaster cord being plugged into the Slingbox has a stereo connector plug.  I don't know whether a stereo adapter is required, and I am further confused by seeing that there are adapters out there that are mono/stereo.  Is such required to adapt the IR emitter cable indicated if indeed it will even work?

• Re: No Video message on Slingplayer with error message re remote
          alanrichey42 Master

OK, a few thoughts here:

1.  You might find it easier to buy a Sling IR Blaster (See Buy > Accessories at top of page)

2.  You are quite correct that you should see the video immediately, before you try and add a remote.   Can't suggest anything until you tell us how all you system (TV,Cable/Satellite, Slingbox)  is all wired together.

3.   If you do use a 3rd party/blaster adapter you can always check it is working by looking at it through a digital camera/mobile phone.

RTDToo

You answered the main question about whether an IR setup was even required, so the question of why no display remains.  The connections on the DVR are to the composite outputs and to the composite inputs on the Slingbox.  There is an ethernet cable hooked up to the router.  Note that I have edited the original post to indicate the actual error message received.  The Slingbox was initially set up via a connection with a W10 laptop.  I actually was not the one who set up the Slingbox, but it is registered to me and my info was used during.  I troubleshot by phone with my grandson last night who indicated that the RCA cable at the Slingbox was connected to the Output ports thereon.  Aha!  That was corrected and the Slingbox powercycled to no avail.  Need to start over re the setup?

alanrichey42 Master

Good comprehensive reply, makes a nice change    OK, the fact that are using the Composite (yellow for video, red/white for audio) means we can forget about HDCP blocking the video.    Next thing to check is to remove the yellow plug from the Slingbox and plug it into the TV, select the correct input and see if you get video.  That way you will know if the DVR is actually outputting a signal.

BTW, at the risk of stating the obvious, you do have the composite input selected in the Slingplayer do you ?  If the component input is selected you would get these symptoms.