7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 22, 2011 7:55 AM by Bubbagump1952 RSS

new to slingbox

Bubbagump1952

i might have a couple stupid questions but say i am at home and our tv is on a certain channel and i am sitting on the couch in another room with my ipad, do i have to watch the same channel thats on my tv in the other room?

and also whne i am away from home, does my cable box back home have to be off?

• Re: new to slingbox
          dbsguy Apprentice

It depends on which slingbox you select and how you hook it up.

If you got a solo, then yes, you would be watching the same channel as what's on the local tv as you only have one cablebox to connect both to. You could "rent" another cable box solely for the slingbox's use; however the next option maybe what your looking for without the additional monthly expense involved with another cable box.

You could get a slingbox pro hd unit. Besides the ability to watch and stream your content locally and remotely (in HD if your upload bandwidth will support it), it allows a variety of connection which will allow you independant viewing since it has an internal ATSC/QAM tuner. You would hook it up as follows:

The cable line from your wall goes to the input of a 2 way splitter. One of the outputs of the splitter gets connected to the coaxial input on the back of the slingbox while the other goes to your cablebox as it is now. This would allow basic and or digital channels to be independantly viewed remotely or within network while the locally connected cablebox tv can be viewed simulateouly but independantly on the TV. You can NOT however watch "premium stations" that are scrambeled this way as the cable company requires the use of their cable box in order to unencrypt those stations.

Since the slingbox pro hd unit has multiple connections there is also a solution for that. Keeping the same connection method I mentioned and outlined above, you can also connect the output of the cablebox to one of the inputs on the back of the slingbox (component, composite, etc). Witin the slingplayer software on your computer or cell phone, you can select which input you want to watch and change them accordingly at will. So oyu can move from the internal tuner as described above to the input connected to the cable box. When using the cable box the local tv (if being used) and the remotye viewer would be watching the same channel. this would only be done if the remote viewer wanted to watch one of the aforementioned "premium stations". Otherwise they could switch to the internal slingbox tuner for independant basic station viewing.

To answer your second question, it doesn't matter if your cable box at home is on or off as the software allows you to turn it on if you need it on from the software version of the player locally within your network or remotely. Every button and feature of your remote will be replicated within the slingbox player's on screen remote (including the power toggle button).

Bubbagump1952

thank you for that excellent explanation, but i have one more..as i said i do have the solo but i also do have the dct6412 dual dvr tuner...can i now use my solo and have one channel on the tv and a differnet one on my ipad, and if yes how do i set that up..i would think i could with dual tuners.....

or would it still be better to get the slingbox pro

dbsguy Apprentice

1. Your origional post didn't mention which model of slingbox you had, I assumed it was either a Solo or a Pro HD since you are new to slingbox and those are the only 2 models currently in production.

2. No, you can NOT use your Cabl;e box in the manner you described. Although it is a dual tuner that only means you can record 1 station while watching another. It won't "output" 2 different channels at the same time.

3. So with the senario you describe and the flexibility you need, you should return the Solo and opt for the Pro HD. after that simply follow the 2 connection methods I described in my previous post and you'll be able to have the flexibility you desire.

Bubbagump1952

good morning

i took your advice and returned the solo for the pro-hd i hooked everything up as you stated in our previous discussions, everything seems to be working great.

the question i have is if i want to watch a different channel than someone is watching at home, how do i choose which input i want to watch on sling mobile as was stated in your previous post? if its really obvious i will feel really stupid.

thanks and appreciate the help

i

dbsguy Apprentice
                      Glad you are up and running now.
                      To change inputs from the PC or Mac version of the stand alone slingplayer app, simply click on connect then choose video inputs and select the input of your choice.
                      To change inputs if your using the web based version of the player, log in to watch, click input and select the source of you choosing.
                      To select a different input if your using a mobile version on a cellphone it really depends on which platform your using. For example; one the iPhone you would select options, change input and select the one you want from the list generated.

iSent from my iPhone
                        Bubbagump1952

hello dbsguy

would i be able to email you directly...i am using an ipad and i dont see where to select options.