9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 9, 2011 7:24 PM by karyuudo0127 RSS

Cannot access remote functions on Pro-HD

karyuudo0127 Newbie

Since Dec 31st I have not been able to access any of my Yagi DTC110 remote functions on my Slingbox Pro-HD. This isnt the first time this has happened either, the last time was when Sling was having major problems with their servers back in the fall and also for a few days in November which then it suddenly fixed itself. I have had my in laws check the box to make sure the IR blasters haven't been moved and have also had them recycle the power on both my cable box and slingbox. I'm not sure if Sling is having any server issues with their remote files, but it would be nice to get some suggestions and input on how to fix this problem as it's quite annoying.

• Re: Cannot access remote functions on Pro-HD
          AlRichey Novice

Check out this thread:  https://community.sling.com/thread/3300?tstart=0

Come back if it doesn't help.
              karyuudo0127 Newbie

Hi there, thanks for your reply. I've done all of this mentioned in that other thread.

I'm at the point of blaming Sling's severs for this mess. I've tried replacing my IR remote file, but I know that will not do any good. This is the same scenario as before where I replace it and nothing changes. Then like 2-3 days later it suddenly magically works again. We'd all be off a lot better if Sling would just allow direct connection from our Slingbox's to where ever we are and bypass having to go through their "middleman" servers.

AlRichey Novice

This is difficult as you haven't actually given us proper details of your problem.  "Cannot access remote functions"  doesn't give us much of a clue.

But you do indicate that it does work occasionally.  In that case it cannot be related to Sling's servers.  What happens during the setup is that the remote codes are downloaded from the servers to your Slingbox and once complete, any viewing system (Slingplayer, Slingcatcher, WebSlingCatcher, SP Mobile,.,,) simply uses the remote by directly accessing your Slingbox.

It looks to me as though you simply have a dodgy box.

Al

karyuudo0127 Newbie

Basically here's my setup. I use my Slingbox in Japan to stream content over a 2mb line. I'm using SNATT for the streaming as TCP doesn't work properly.

In Canada I use either Slingplayer for Windows or Web Slingplayer (on both Firefox or IE) to stream the content.

Today to try and fix the problems I was experiencing, I remote connected into my in laws PC in Japan and uploaded a new remote file for my Yagi box. After about a minute or so it took effect on my Slingbox and I was able to take control of the box. However after about 15 mins I did not have control over the box. I'd like to figure out what the heck is going on as the IR Blasters are working properly and it's clear that after a certain point in time I'm able to use the box properly. I'm still placing my bets on that Sling is doing something in the background on their servers that's effecting the remote control of my box. This is what happened the last time they did their so called "server upgrade"

AlRichey Novice

OK, I am the last person to support Sling but in this case I have to say that I cannot see how their servers can be affecting you.  My money is still on a failing Slingbox.

BTW, I hope you realise you don't need to remotely connect to the PC to set up the remote, you can do that remotely.   You only need to access it locally if it has been hard reset.

What remote are you using ? the built in one or a Custom Remote ?

karyuudo0127 Newbie

This is the remote file I've been using since day 1.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=6276

I'm still not convinced that my box is dying otherwise I'm sure there would have been other signs of this.

Throwing another idea into the fold here, could it possibly have anything to do with the power voltage in Japan is different. In North America we're at 120v and in Japan it's at 100v. Most devices work without any issues, but could the lack of 20v contribute to the box not getting enough juice at times to perform as it should?

AlRichey Novice

Look OK to me.   And remember that BIN remotes are binary, they either work or they don't, there is no in-between.  So if that one has worked for you then it is nothing to do with the remote (unless the memory chip in the Slingbox where it is stored is going soft.

I'm still not convinced that my box is dying otherwise I'm sure there would have been other signs of this.

Not necessarily.  There is the case of no manufactures showing up in the drop down list during setup.  That was the ONLY symptom of the box having failed internally

Throwing another idea into the fold here, could it possibly have anything to do with the power voltage in Japan is different. In North America we're at 120v and in Japan it's at 100v. Most devices work without any issues, but could the lack of 20v contribute to the box not getting enough juice at times to perform as it should?

Could very well be.  There have been lots of posts on the forum where slightly faulty power supplies have caused some very odd problems, always cured when a new power supply was used.

karyuudo0127 Newbie

AlRichey wrote:

Look OK to me.   And remember that BIN remotes are binary, they either work or they don't, there is no in-between.  So if that one has worked for you then it is nothing to do with the remote (unless the memory chip in the Slingbox where it is stored is going soft.

Not necessarily.  There is the case of no manufactures showing up in the drop down list during setup.  That was the ONLY symptom of the box having failed internally

Could very well be.  There have been lots of posts on the forum where slightly faulty power supplies have caused some very odd problems, always cured when a new power supply was used.

I guess at this point nothing should surprise me. I doubt reinstalling the firmware would change anything?

Maybe lay off watching the box for about a week and see if the problem fixes itself like last time?

I gotta say though, I will never recommend or buy another Sling product again after this.

karyuudo0127 Newbie

Problem has been fixed. Had my in laws press the reset button and now everything is working. Not sure if when they moved the unit back that it put the IR Blaster back in place or it fixed the box connection with changing channels.