7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 26, 2011 6:22 AM by lmaglin RSS

Can No Longer Connect via Internet to Slingbox Tuner

stevechan

Up until two weeks ago, I was happily connecting via the internet to my Slingbox Tuner from both my Android phone and my laptop.  While I am still able to connect over the network with both devices, trying to connect from a remote location or over 3G is now impossible.  Here is a rundown of the things I have tried to fix it:

1.  Reset modem, router, and Slingbox Tuner

2.  Have gone through setup utility countless times

3.  Have tried Port Forwarding multiple times

4.  Switched to a newer router (both D-Link)

Despite all of this, I am unable to connect either using 3G or from a remote location (over the internet).  At this point, since I cannot connect to either router, I believe that the issue lies with the Slingbox Tuner.  Since I have reset the device multiple times, and made sure that it has the latest firmware, I am at a complete loss as to how to proceed.  Unfortunately, none of the new Sling devices supports plain cable TV from the wall, and I would like to avoid having to try to hunt down a used Tuner model in good condition.  Please let me know what I should do to get up and running again.

• Re: Can No Longer Connect via Internet to Slingbox Tuner
          jimfitzgerald Apprentice

Slingbox Pro-HD has an internal tv tuner and supports cable straight from the wall.  It is limited to non-scrambled channels without a cable box.

stevechan

Had a problem with a flaky cable modem which was putting forth really terrible upload speeds, and thought that was my problem with the Slingbox as well.  Replaced modem, and still no luck with remote viewing of the Slingbox, yet wifi viewing in the home still works fine.  Have tried Port Forwarding many times, but an online port tester states that the port, despite my efforts, still isn't open.  Can anyone direct me to a good guide (beyond portforward.com) which can help me to unravel this mystery?  The upshot is that this was working find a couple of weeks ago without any Port Forwarding at all on the router, so I'm at a complete loss as to why it won't work, unless there is just something wrong with the Slingbox Tuner itself (which seems more and more likely).

stevechan

Finally figured out the problem.  I had switched the network configuration to put our Ooma VOIP box in between the router and modem.  Putting Ooma behind the modem allowed me to open port 5001.  I just hope that our Ooma phone service doesn't suffer as a result.  Just glad to figure this out, as it was killing me.

lmaglin

I have added the ooma system between the cable modem and the router. My Slingbox will work within the network, but not over the internet like before.

I have a slingbox AV, I have read some other posts and tried to put the ooma on the router, did not work.

I have a linksys WRT330N Wireless router.... would a new router help or is a matter of settings

Any help would be appriciated, I use my slingbox all the time.....

stevechan

I would probably do a factory reset on both the ooma and router, keeping the ooma after the router.  If it still doesn't work, then you could try a different router, but not sure it would make a difference.

lmaglin

I got it to work, here is what I did...

I replaced the router (linksys/Cisco E3200)

Plugged in as follows:

cable modem>router - Slingbox

- ooma

- switch - other devices

configured port on router for 5002, named slingbox and assigned a static IP address

re-ran internet viewing on slingbox software, worked

ooma did not need a hard reset, it just worked after I plugged everything in...

Thanks for your advice, it was helpfull