4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 13, 2011 2:15 AM by Jonathanm RSS

Slingbox Connection Problem

Jonathanm

I am sadly really starting to get seriously annoyed with my sling box. The simple problem is that it will connect.  I am LAN connected to the only router in the system by cable.  My slingbox is LAN connected to the same router.  I have 2 solid red lights.  The sling player software does not find the slingbox.  The internet connection wizard says there is "a problem connecting to the slingbox".

I have looked at my router config D Link Dir-16 - I can't see anything in there wrong with firewalls etc.  I have tried disabling my antivirus, reseting router, reseting slingbox.  Nothing seems to work and I am under a lot of time pressure to get this working as I have to leave day after tomorrow for an overseas posting...

Is there anything that I may have forgotten?  The internet provider is Canal Digital in Norway.

Anybody???

Thanks,

• Re: Slingbox Connection Problem
          Jonathanm

I noticed in my first post I forgot the important word "not"

Slingbox Connection Problem

I am sadly really starting to get seriously annoyed with my sling box. The simple problem is that it will NOT connect.  I am LAN connected to the only router in the system by cable.  My slingbox is LAN connected to the same router.  I have 2 solid red lights.  The sling player software does not find the slingbox.  The internet connection wizard says there is "a problem connecting to the slingbox".

I have looked at my router config D Link Dir-16 - I can't see anything in there wrong with firewalls etc.  I have tried disabling my antivirus, reseting router, reseting slingbox.  Nothing seems to work and I am under a lot of time pressure to get this working as I have to leave day after tomorrow for an overseas posting...

Is there anything that I may have forgotten?  The internet provider is Canal Digital in Norway.

Anybody???

Thanks,

Jonathanm

Well finally I have resolved the problem.  The trouble is I don 't know where the problem was.  Here is what I did...

I tried an alternative router thinking that there was something in the original D-Link causing problems perhaps firewall or some other configuration.  This then produced exactly the same symtoms - so that made me think that Canal Digital were blocking some ports or some such.  I was about to call them and jump down the phone and I started playing a bit more.

I reset the slingbox for the umpteenth time - in fact at that moment I did it a least twice. (2 or 3 pushes on the reset button for about 10 seconds.  Put it back and reconnected and all of a sudden I got the message "would you like to configure your slingbox".

I could not beleive it.  I still don't undersand what happened - I have tried reseting at least 20 times over the last days.

Anyway the main thing is that all is working as it should - router configured for internet and all.

I hope this helps some with some other people.

Best regards and good luck,

Jonathanm

Well I've been thinking about this problem over the last days.  My feeling (and its no more than that) is that maybe sling monitor these forums.  Is it possibile that they reset the sling box from their servers in the US?

Anyway, for whats it's worth.

Regards,