10 Replies Latest reply: Mar 14, 2011 7:53 PM by Resist RSS

Keeps pausing

mr1213

My iPhone 4 reception with Slingplayer 2.0.1 on 3G connects fine, but then keeps pausing every few seconds on HQ only.  If I switch to SQ no pauses whatsoever.  Why?

• Re: Keeps pausing
          Morac Newbie

I frequently see the same thing on 3G and sometimes even over WiFi.  It's likely caused by momentary drops in bandwidth.  The app needs to get at least 500 Kbps speeds consistently to stream.  If it drops below 500 Kbps briefly there will be pauses.  So basically if you are in a sucky 3G area, you'll get pauses.    The SD mode doesn't pause becuase it maxes out at 250 Kbps so you don't need a very good 3G connection to sling in SD mode.

That said I think there might be some issues with whatever algorithm the app uses to determine the speed, because when I run the bandwidth check (switch to SD and check options menu), I normally see speeds greater than 500 Kbps.   The options page when in HQ mode, only shows 1 to 3 dots.  3 dots means things are supposed to be working correctly, but I see pauses even with 3 dots.

mr1213

I hope Sling is aware of this.  Both my 3G and WiFi signals are well above the minimum required.  I see three green dots in Options, yet the pausing continues in HQ mode.

ChicagoDon Newbie

HQ needs at least three times as much data as SD does. That is a lot more pixels to push through the pipe. High Def TV is four times the amount of pixels than standard def. The sat and cable companys still don't send a 1080p signal because it uses to much bandwidth but they still call it HD.  HQ is meant more for  WiFi than 3G. If slingbox were to lower the data needed for HQ down to meet the ability of the 3G network then the WiFi picture would suffer by being brought down to that level also. When slingbox for the iphone came out it didn't work on 3G at all because supposedly AT&T thought the bandwidth usage might be rough on the network and they told apple not to approve the app or so the story goes.

One of my slingboxes stutters on HQ but that is because the upload bandwidth where the slingbox is located doesn't get much above 250 kbps.

Have you checked your upload speed?

Sorry there's no better answer than bandwidth

Don

mr1213

Thanks for the perspective.  Makes perfect sense.  My upload speed for the slingbox is 730 kbps and download on 3G for my iPhone is 1200 kbps.  So there must be something else going on here.  I'm wondering if there is a problem with the software.  I deleted and reloaded the slingplayer software, but the results are the same.  Any ideas are welcome.

jevans14

I experience the same issue with SQ vs HQ and accept the idea that HQ takes more bandwith etc. To be honest I pretty much expected something like this. My only issue, although relatively minor,  is that HQ is the default. Is there any way to make SQ the default mode the player launches in?

Resist Newbie

In the last few days, I've noticed the app keeps freezing for me as well.  Doesn't seem to matter if the video quality is in HD or SD.  Not sure what's going on but it's really annoying.  Has the same issue whether it's running on my iPhone 4 or iPad or computer.  My home wifi is a plenty fast 10MB connection.  So I can only assume the problem is with my Slingbox Pro-HD.

I have tried resetting everything, but the issue is still there.  Any new suggestions would be great.

ChicagoDon Newbie

If this happens in your home viewing slingbox then you would have to think there is a problem with the box. It's really annoying and makes it unwatchable. It is all about the upload speed. Best test would be to put another sling box in it's place but that's probably not possible for you. You could un plug the slingbox and plug in a computer to the same cable and check your upload speed at speedtest.com.

You could replace the cable do a hard reset and set the slingbox up from scratch. Reset your router.

Hook your slingbox up to another network would be another way to test it.

It is hard to believe that it can have trouble streaming. You would think it would just stop streaming completely. It is more likely that something is getting in it's way of streaming.

I am no expert but wanted to just give you some suggestions

Hope you figure it out

Don

reckless

hi there if you take a look at your board you will have to take apart you will see caps if they are a bit bubbled and not flat you will have to replace them as i had same problem hope this helps