46 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2011 10:15 PM by jimfitzgerald Branched to a new discussion. RSS

program guide suddenly stopped working?

evilkokonut

the program guide on my slingbox starts to load and then suddenly says "sorry, the program guide data is not available for teh selected period of time. data is generally available for the next 7 days only"

The date on the program guide is the current date and time so I don' tknow why this is showing up all of a sudden.

• Re: program guide suddenly stopped working?
          Tallaorm

I am seeing this exact same behavior - and it started today for me as well.  I am using a SlingBox Pro and the Windows Player on Windows 7 - 64 bit. Any others seeing this - or any updates from the Sling team?

Thanks!

MarkBohanon1

Yep, same exact thing.  Slingbox Pro-HD and Windows 7.  It seems to only happen with the antenna connection.  When it happens, I connect to another source, then reconnect back to antenna.

crhiles Newbie

I'm also seeing this on Windows 7 64bit on the S-Video connection with a Slingbox Pro-HD.

dennisl59 Newbie

same here. using the original vintage slingbox coax/ethernet tuner. model sb220-100 running version 2.0.4.521. it has been working, except for a failed power supply, literally flawlessly for at least 5 years now. uninstalled and reinstalled the software. it worked for a minute, then the same message again. changed my pc clock, no change. windows 7 64 bit home premium.

dennisl59 Newbie

i un-installed the slingbox app from my system using revo-uninstaller, we deleted all the registry entries, rebooted, re-ran the complete step up wizard,(with the video intro) said no to launch slingboot, rebooted again, started it, it asked for my admin password, of course, and my account login(of course)and NOW the actual program guide icon is grayed out and cannot be selected.(no clicky...)

SO...i went to my laptop that's been powered off for 3-4 days, launched slingbox from there(they're both on my same home/office network through the wireless router, plugged into adjacent ports) and the same exact symptom. the odds of two systems, 4 feet from one another having the exact slingbox symptom is, well, you know, a billion to one.

i have a 'gut feeling' that the far end slingbox server's clock/time is mis-set causing the program guide to message it's unavailable.

furthermore, if it's in india that would explain it since they are ONE DAY ahead and we are 1 day early outside the 7 day program guide window

that's what i have, anyone else with an idea?

d

miracomo

Have been having the same problem for three days on Vista SP2 with Pro-HD.

dcgrills

I've experienced this problem too in the last couple of days with a Slingbox PRO-HD using Component input. Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium.

ChuckRoast

Deja Vu all over again!!!  This exact same thing happened last year (at the end of the year).  The only solution was to wait until next year (tomorrow), actually I think it took until Monday (workday) until it started working again.  Never did see an explaination.

The fix - wait )-: and use yahoo TV listings for your guide.

• THIS IS THE KEY CLUE ON THIS BUG
                            TotoTheDog

I have it, too, and it started near the New Year.  I also have Windows 7, 64-bit, but I'm not sure that's the cause of this bug, especially in light of the same bug happening last year.  Did they have W7, 64-bit, too?

The error message is, "Sorry the Program Guide is not available for the selected period of time.  Data is generally available for for the next 7 days only."

If we believe the error message (a whole other avenue to research if we don't believe it), what this means is that for some reason the period of time being requested (by the player? by the server?) does not fit anywhere in the currently available 7-day window.  Thus the period being requested is either too early or too late.

How does the program decide what period of time to ask for?  One obvious thing to do is to search the relevant code for every instance of a date: day, month, or year.  Maybe even time.  Check for leap year.  Check for Saturday & Sunday.  (Someone mentioned a weekend.)  Check the time/date setting of the server.

Windows 7 time and date on my machine were correct at all times.

WHEN YOU FIND THE PROBLEM THIS YEAR, MAKE SURE IT DOESN'T HAPPEN AGAIN NEXT YEAR, OR WE WILL REAM SLINGBOX A NEW ONE.  GOT THAT?

For instance, say the problem is that the server has the date wrong.  So you reset the server clock, and the problem is fixed, right?  NO!  Why is the server not getting the date right?  Is there an upadate that fixes it?  You can't wait until next year to see if it's fixed this time.  (Someone probably did that last year!) You've got to KNOW it's fixed, this time, this year, for sure.  Maybe you need to buy another machine and install the same server software and see if you can duplicate the error.

If you can prove that this is definitely a server software problem, assemble the data and go have a meeting with the server software developer to prove it to them.  This may be the REAL problem, if they don't believe you.  You have to do whatever is neccessary to absolutely prove that the problem cannot be anything else.

Show management this message.  Management, your support staff are embarassed that this bug still isn't fixed.  They want to fix it.  So do you.  Please do what's right, not what's cheapest.

Thank you All for all that you do!

TototheDog, Saturday, Jan. 1, 2011

coraleerose

Mine is doing exactly the same thing and started yesterday. I'm using a Slingbox PRO-HD on a Vista platform. Everything else is working normally.

Michael2000

Same problem here.

I tried setting my computer date back to Dec. 30, 2010, but that didn't help. So apparently, the date is picked up over the internet.

I like the guide MUCH better on the Slingplayer Desktop App. since it loads the complete guide at one time - much faster.and it is customizable. There is no comparison to the  clunky web player guide.

Michael

markajohnson

I have the same problem - noticed it maybe Dec 30 - Slingplayer guide gives the "only 7 days in advance error" - but watch.slingbox.com guide works.   I sm streaming from a slingbox classic -- so it's interesting that the same symptom is present on later models.    The slingplayer app is much preferred - wonder how long it will take to fix? 

OttoTechnica

Well, I might as well join the chorus. I've had the same problem for several days on Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate.

There were no changes to my network or my systems and I can duplicate on another machine on my network (Also Win7-64-bit).

davidbgodwin

I have two Windows 7 PCs and one older one with XP. On the two 64 bit Win7 PCs I get the vanishing Guide whereas on the XP machine, the guide loads and stays there. In all cases, I was accessing the same Pro HD Slingbox. (Only one at a time)

From this, I suspect that the problem has more to do with the interfaces to the operating systems rather than an actual "time" problem.

Lets hope that Sling Media resolve the problem soon.

quaz95

im having same problem with windows 7 64bit, hopefully somebody in india goes back to work soon to fix this.

djhill8262

Sigh... same problem. I have a slingbox classic, and the desktop client is running on Vista SP2. If I had to guess, the problem began as soon as the date rolled over to 1/1 at the Int'l date line. However it is now Jan 2 here in Tampa, and the problem persists.

Has anyone with a current model - i.e., where SB support will still actually talk to you - reported this through normal support channels? If so, what were you told?

I hate to say this, but I have to agree they may not be interested in fixing this problem. They may be in the process of changing their business model due to other market developments - new options to stream live TV that will eventually render hardware solutions like our trusty slingboxes obsolete.

vel0city

I can't live without my program guide. Also having this problem on Windows 7 64-bit.

MBuchman

I've been having the same problem for the past 2 or 3 days.

Windows 7 64-bit, Slingbox Pro HD.

FernS

Same problem - guide disappeared end of December - now it appears to load and then immediately disappears, replaced by the message suggesting I'd asked for some specific non-available date

Running Windows Vista - Internet Explorer 8 - AMD TurionX2 - 64 & Slingplayer Pro

Given the number of comments, this is obviously something SlingMedia needs to fix

Scherm

I'm in the same boat with the invalid date message. I just got a Iphone 4 and I want to donload the app but after all of the poor support I see from Slingbox I'm wondering why I would want to bring more problems into my life. Good product/bad implementation equals bad product.

iceblu121

same thing here  verizion fois in y they keep thinking its my slingbox when in fact its them or zap 2 it

iceblu121

i been calling everyday this started to happen about a week from todays date they say reset the box i god **** did that i even went this far to bring back  my so called defective box! that they said it was  to coem back home and set it up again and have it error. now they escalted the case so we will see what happens

tkrotchko

Just to reiterate.

It did the same thing last year, same time and took a few days to clear up.  Its clearly a year-change bug in their code that they have no intention (apparently) of fixing.    Its not a PC.  I had a different PC last year with the problem, same arguments that it must be my PC.  Same thing this year (go back and search the forum).

They know it clears up after a few days, but Slingbox clearly has no intention of a new release of the stand-alone player, even to fix their obvious bugs.  As far as they're concerned, its just another reason to force people to shift to the web based viewer.

zappafreak72

I called tech support, and they were not aware of an issue with the guide.  They had the gall to ask me if I wanted to pay $20.00 for help with this issue.  I've been having this issue for the last 4 days or so.  Is it related to your location?  Or ISP?  Or is it something else?

Thanks,

Andy

zap2it error Capture.JPG

aaustinla

Same Problem since the turn of the new year (again...happy new year from Slingbox)

The problem is consistent using slingplayer form XP, Vista, and Windows 7, all 32bit.

JonniJi

I'm experiencing the same problems that is everyone else is having and I do remember the same thing happing last year too.

I'm on a Windows 7 (32bit) computer..
                                                            There was an earlier posting by: djhill8262 where he said he got the guide to work by changing the 'Log Level' value in the registry for the Slingbox.  The value was set to '1'.  I tried changing it to '0' and rebooting the computer and it didn't work for me. I  changed the value back to '1'.
                                                            I really love my Slingbox but I hate that this problems keeps happening every year!!!
                                                                djhill8262

Hi JonnJi,

Changing the log level didn't affect the problem...I just discovered that the guide had started working again when was tried to restart the slingplayer with logging set to 2. Actually my daughter discovered it, because she was connected when I tried to connect to do the test, and when I went to ask her when she'd be disconnecting, she told me the guide was working again on her Win 7 laptop (which I confirmed later on my Vista laptop).

So... we're probably OK now, at least until next December.

vel0city

Well it all randomly started working again today. Glad to finally get it back, and I hope they fix it for next year.

EDIT: Never mind, the problem just came back.

aaustinla

As usual, give it a weekday after Jan 1 and all is well again

herbz

I have the same problem. Win 7 64 bit ultimate... Sometimes when I exit the windows slingplayer and then restart it having left open the guide, it will refill and not have the error message.

It just worked, and even has my channel list.... but who knows how long this will last???

Message was edited by: herbz

JonniJi

FYI: My 'Guide' is now working as of 3:20pm Pacific time..  Is it working for everyone else too??

Note:  This morning, I changes my registry value to '2', and that didn't work, so I changed it back to '1'.  Then just now I start my Slingbox and it's working!!  

iceblu121

mine started working it is 820 pm eastern time here in N.Y but this morning it worked for me too and then it stopped working so hopefully it fixed itself somehow i have seen a few people sy this is a yearly thing that happens so i hope thats all it is once a year i can deal with.i hope to go to work tommorow being able to access my guide i will keep u informed i hope for the BEST! havin the guide not work just plain sux

i dont know why slingbox would stop supporting it for mac computers. not that i have a mac but the desktop software is way nicer then having to go to a stupid *** website all the time. 

millermmail Newbie

Same issue here on multiple computers (both 64-bit and 32-bit Windows 7 as well as Windows XP) and it started in or around New Year's.  I'm not sure exactly when, I don't use it every day - but now the TV schedule changed so I need it.

In the meantime, I'm using http://tvguide.com/listings and it has the bonus of working on my Linux machine where SlingAccount can't work.

This is as bad as the problems with the iPhone  (alarm clock broke when the year changed) that I was hearing about on the news tonight...

Michael2000

Thankfully, the Slingplayer guide is now working as of 5:15pm Pacific.

The Windows desktop app is SOOOO much nicer than the web application.  The web application guide is so slow, it is unusable.  The desktop application on the other hand flies!

Michael

swiss420

Anyone know since when they deleted the SlingPlayer 2.0 Software Forum? Why are they trying to kill the software with all there might. Atleast the Programm Guide is back up running. But no Official Information why this happens every year. Or even worse we dident know about this issue. Come on how can you not realize you have a problem with your Software if the Forums fill up with Comments. The other Thread we discussed this just got deleted without any notice. So what is going on? Bunch of Bobbleheads over at Slingmedia.