5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 30, 2010 9:14 AM by GYnot RSS

Recommendations Needed

GYnot

Hi,

I'm new here and am looking for some advice. I want to rid myself of the two rented ($40/mo) DVR's that my CC (Charter) has provided me with to lower my monthly bill. Also, nothing really special about the SA 8300HD DVR. I know that Slingbox products are not DVR's, but may be an integral part of my setup. I do not own anything from SlingBox yet, but considering the Pro HD if it fits the bill.

I'm also considering a Moxi 3 tuner as my DVR. I like what it has to offer and as far as I know is the only DVR supported by my CC besides TIVO, which is a payed service and defeats part of the reason I want to get rid of my current DVR's. I called my CC today and they said that they'd only have to charge me $2/mo for the card that would go into the Moxi.

I know that I'll be spending a few bucks up front, but I like the idea of ownership rather than wasting my money on rentals.

My current setup is this:

Family room: SA 8300HD DVR connected to a Philips 47" LCD about a year and a half old which is connected to a DVD player and a Wii. HDMI is supported as well as Composite, Component and S-Vid.

My bedroom: SA 8300HD DVR connected to a Philips 47" LCD about a year and a half old which is connected to a Mac Mini HTPC which has an external HDD for media storage.

Both setups above have a simple 2 speaker Bose speaker system which I will improve later next year. The family room setup is used mainly for my kids that are under 10, so I don't need to be spending any money that I don't have to here. Just a simple DVR would do. In either case I'd like everything to keep HD support.

I'd also like to be able to watch TV on my iPod or a future iPad while in bed and not waking the wife or out in the back yard or even on the road.

My first question is will the Moxi play nice with the Pro HD?

Can I do with just one DVR (Moxi) and share to the other TV via Pro HD? Is there something I'm missing here?

As far as the other TV, will there be any noticeable buffering?

Is there anything else that will improve what I'm expecting?

Better setup and less costly?

Thanks for any help or advice. I'm really open to anything.

Tony

• Re: Recommendations Needed
          jimfitzgerald Apprentice

I think some other people here use Moxi with Charter.  Do a search and see what you come up with.  You cannot use your Slingbox to feed another tv unless you hard wire it.  Otherwise, you need a SlingCatcher (no longer sold) or a computer to receive the signal from the Slingbox.  You would then plug your second tv into your computer to receive the signal.  That's not a very workable solution.  Why do you need two DVR's.  I have Charter with three flat screen tv's. Two of them have HD cable boxes and the third is connected directly to the wall outlet (basic channels only).

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

Let me add one other comment.  I'm not familiar with the Moxi unit.  Perhaps it will feed your second tv.  I don't know.

GYnot

The 2 DVR's are for the living room - the kids like to record there movies and shows. To not be able to watch Spongebob whenever they needed to would be like dealing with a heroin addict. Ahhhhhhhhhhh and what a fix it is for the wife and I.

Then on my bedroom DVR we record movies and shows that we would never allow on the kids DVR, ie Californication, Curb...

Again in the end I'd like just one, the Moxi and find a way to filter certain content, but worse case they don't have a DVR and just live the old fashion way via DVD.

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

Yea, you certainly don't want to miss Spongebob Squarepants.  I was just looking at the Moxi.  I see you can buy a DVR that can feed two other tv's via your home network, but it's pretty pricey.  I'm not sure if Charter supports that or not.  For the price, you can rent a lot of DVR's for a long time for every tv in the house.

GYnot

I just spoke with Charter and the women gave me some great info. The main reason I called was to see if I could pickup a Moxi box from them and use that as a tester. They do have them in stock, yet are a different model # than the one currently advertised on Moxi's site. I thought that I'd pick one up after I get my Slingbox and give it all a try, I still may do this. The rep told me of another alternative that may save me a few dollars on my bill and might be an alternative to this mess. She told me about the Motorola multi-room DVR that will be out within 6 mos. Sounded interesting as you have one main DVR and a receiver(s) that you connect to additional TV's. I'm about to research this more as she was confusing me with the details as far as recording and watchability on the additional TV's. It wouldn't save me the $40 extra per month, but it would cut that in half or there abouts.

I guess first thing to do is pick up the Sling box and go from there. I'll do that in the next week or so.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Tony