7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2011 5:23 PM by jimfitzgerald RSS

I cannot turn the tv off and on from the slingbox.

ElizabethinNC

I just got my SlingSolo connected to my television cablebox using componet setup. I can get a picture with sound, control the tv using the remote, use the remote to play from my recorded program list etc. but I cannot turn the television off and on using the laptop.  Is this the way it is supposed to be?  It seems pretty stupid to have to leave the tv on all the time so that I can access it on the computer.

• Re: I cannot turn the tv off and on from the slingbox.
          alanrichey42 Master

If the Slingbox is connected to the cable box using the component cables there should be no need ot have the TV on (or even to exist).

ElizabethinNC

I have the componet cables running from the sling box input to the cablebox output.  That is all that I should have to do but it will only work if the tv is turned on.  If I turn the slingbox off and then try to turn it back on I get a message about the HDMI cable.  Any suggestions?

alanrichey42 Master

Dump the HDMI.   Your cable box is implementing HDCP.   Drive the TV from the component pass-through output of the Slingbox.

ElizabethinNC

Alan I was incorrect when I said I was connected using componet cables, they are composit along with the audio cables.  When I connected with Composit I got sound but no video.   I think I will try the componet again with the audio and see what happens.  I read on another post that I also may be able to correct the problem by connecting the tv and cable box using componet cables instead of HDMI but am afraid that it will affect the Playstation and XBox.

alanrichey42 Master

OK, that makes a bit more sense.  Basically HDCP means that your cable box will allow ONLY one HD source to be used at any one time.   So if the HDMI output is used it switches off the component output, as you have seen.  Hence the recommendation not to use the HDMI, but just use the component.  What is odd is that nothing should affect the SD Composite output, that should work all the time.   So you appear to have a problem there.  First thing to do is try driving your TV direct from the cable box to see if the video failure is in the Cable box or in the Slingbox.

ElizabethinNC

I was out of town for a few days but today I fiddled with the link between my TV and cable box.  It is connected using an HDMI cable.  I tried using a different port for the HDMI and none of the other ports will give me a TV signal on the TV.  I tried S-video, composit and componet connections between them and none would give me a picture so It seems that I can only use HDMI connections and only one port.  Previously I had also said I was connected to the SOLO and TV using composit and audio cables but that is also incorrect.  It is only composit cables-the red, white and yellow.  The TV is a Samsung and is about 3 yrs old and the cable box is older but I am not sure how old.  I do get HD TV on it.  Any suggestions?

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

I have a Charter HD cable box, Samsung HD tv, Slingbox SOLO, and SlingLink Turbo.  I have coax from the wall to the cable box, HDMI from the cable box to tv, and component from the cable box to the Slingbox.  Everything works as it's supposed to.  If this will not work for you due to a HDCP restriction, replace the HDMI cable with component cables from the cable box to tv.  Of course, you need R/L audio with all the component cables.