3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 13, 2012 1:52 PM by alanrichey42 RSS

Web Browser or Stand Alone Player?

BrandonC Novice

I am curious and wondering what people like to use to Sling.  Do you like the web browser, ie, watch.slingbox.com or do you prefer using the stand alone SlingPlayer app, installed on your computer?

I personally use the Stand Alone Slingplayer every chance I get. From what I can tell with the responses here most people using a PC or a MAC would rather use the Stand Alone player and not the web browser app.

What do you use or think that they should be concentrating on?

• Re: Web Browser or Stand Alone Player?
          alanrichey42 Master

When it first came out the WebSlingPlayer was very limited and it was really no contest.  But to be fair, now the Pop-up Player has been implemented there is probably little to choose between them. 

In my particular case I am still forced to use the Standalone version as there is no support at all for Custom Remotes in the WebSlingPlayer.   A decision I could understand if Sling supported every single A/V device, but while there are gaping holes in the level of support I find it incomprehensible that this functionality was removed from the Web version.

rlariv

My concern wiith the web brower app in this case is its reliance on sling.com... web versus standalone is not as big of deal if the web browser was using a sling box based web server - i.e. https://myslingbox_addresss/apps.. what happens is sling.com   goes broke.. my box no longer works ? thats not right...

alanrichey42 Master

In fact the current standalone player is just as reliant on the Sling servers as the web version.  If the server goes down no-one can access their directories so cannot access their boxes.  Many of us 'old-timers' warned them about that but we were assured it would never happen.  Needless to say, just over a year ago, that is exactly what happened while they were transferring from the original servers to some new ones.  Eventually Sling had to backtrack and start recommending users revert back to the V1.5 of the standalone player, which was the last one that you operate totally independent from their servers.  The more sensible of us still keep a copy handy, just in case.