9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 28, 2010 2:53 PM by jimfitzgerald RSS

My Home TV

jhopes

When I am using my Slingbox HD Pro, is it possible for people watching my TV at home to view a different channel than I am on the Slingbox or will what I watch always dictate what channel is shown on my TV at home?

• Re: My Home TV
          hbh416

I have the same question. When I bought my SlingBox I was told that the channel watched on the home TV did not have to coincide with the channel watched on the SlingBox computer but I haven't found that to be the case.

jhopes

that is the same story I was told, but it seems as though it is not true.

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

Did you people do any research before you bought your Slingbox or read the instructions after you bought it?  If you have a Slingbox Pro-HD, you can watch a different channel if you hook it up correctly.  If you have a Slingbox Solo, you must watch the same channel as the tv.

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

Let me expand a little on my answer.  The Slingbox Pro-HD has it's own internal tv tuner.  It is essentially a tv without a screen.  If you have a cable box or satellite box, you can hook your Slingbox Pro-HD to your coax cable coming out of the wall as well as your cable box.  This allows you to watch two different channels.  You could also hook it up to an over-the-air antenna as one source and do the same thing.

hbh416

I believe that is how mine is connected.

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

If so, then you can watch a different channel.  Someone watching tv is using the cable box.  You can then watch a different channel using the Slingbox and the signal coming directly from the coax cable running from the wall directly to the Slingbox.

jhopes

That's how I connected mine the first time, but with the cable coax connected directly to the Slingbox, I can't get any digital channels or access anything on my DVR.  I can only receive the analog channels.  The reason I bought the HD model was to get HD programming on my computer and iPad.  That works now, but it disables the Sling Pro HD's ability to function as a separate tuner.  Is there some way to solve this problem?

hbh416

I tried using a splitter but when I couldn't get that to work I resorted to moving the Slingbox to my tv that nobody uses except me.

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

I thnk some of you still don't understand how this works.  The Slingbox Pro-HD can be connected to two tv signal sources.  One is the coax coming out of the wall.  The other is the signal coming out of your cable box.  The Slingbox Pro-HD can then send one or the other of these signals to your laptop or SmartPhone.  If you send the signal from your cable box, it will be all of your channels including SD, HD, and premium channels.  If you send the signal from your Slingbox that is being fed by the coax cable, it will be basic cable only for most cable companies.  So, in most cases, you are going to want to watch the signal from the cable box.  However, if someone at home is using that signal to watch something you don't want to see, your only choice is to watch a basic cable channel.