10 Replies Latest reply: Jul 17, 2012 11:45 PM by alanrichey42 RSS

HDMI and Composite Output

ankbomb

Hello,

Does anyone have information as to whether I can use the HDMI and Composite out from the comcast box at the same time?   I'd like to use the HDMI to connect to the TV and have the composite to go to my SOLO.

Composite vs. HDMI should be somewhat equivalent from an audio perspective, but with audio I can only get 2 channels with Red/White.

Thoughts?  

• Re: HDMI and Composite Output
          jimfitzgerald Apprentice

I have Charter HD cable.  I use HDMI to my tv and component to my SOLO.  Don't use composite, it is SD.  HDMI and component are HD.

alanrichey42 Master

This depends on whether the device has implemented HDCP.   Jim is lucky that his hasn't, although we have seen lots of users who woke up one morning to find the firmware in their device had been updated overnight to implement it.

If it hasn't then like Jim you can use HDMI to the TV and Component to the Slingbox.  If it does then you have to use Component to the Slingbox and then Component pass-through to the TV.

Also, as Jim said I am not sure if you actually meant Composite in your first post as there has never been any issue with using HDMI and Composite.  Did you actually mean Component ?

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

All of my devices are HDCP compliant.  Before I got my Slingbox I had some HDCP issues until I upgraded my Charter cable box.  At that point, I was able to use HDMI cables for just about everything.  I used optical from cable box to Onkyo receiver.  Otherwise, it was all HDMI.  When I got the Slingbox Solo, it worked perfectly fine with component from the Cablebox.  As far as I know all the firmware is up to date, but you know more about that than I do.

alanrichey42 Master

I'm tending to look at it from a UK standpoint.   And you have to remember that each manufacturer seems to interpret the rules differently.  The trick of disabling the Component if HDMI is used is very common but obviously not implemented by your manufacturer.

I can't comment directly as most of the UK manufacturers have gone the way of simply not including 2 HD outputs, just a single HDMI.  I am just repeating what I have seen on the forum.  In particular, a couple of months ago a lot of Comcast users suddenly found their component output disabled after a firmware update.

Al

ankbomb

Thank you to all of the above for advice.

I wanted to followup in case anyone searches this in the future.

I have the output to my DCH3200 (Comcast) connected to both of the following:

• HDMI: to TV
                          • Composite: to Slingbox (and also to TV - in case Comcast ever shuts down dual outputs, I can unplug the HDMI). 

My solo connects just fine and I can view from outside my network.

Thank you all

Pearlman

My TV takes only composite input from my Slingbox Solo.  Can I use component cablea between my cable box and my Sling box or must I also use composite cables?

MRP

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

Why are you plugging your Slingbox into your tv?  Plug your tv into your cable box using HDMI or component cables.  Then, run component cables from your cable box to your Slingbox.   You don't need a connection between your Slingbox and tv.

alanrichey42 Master

I think he means that the TV input only takes composite.   So the answer is no, the Slingbox outputs are simply pass-through, they do not contain any signals from the Slingbox.   So if you are driving the Slingbox using component cables then the only signal coming out of the Slingbox is on the component output and it is simply the signal going in.

Kawochka1

With this being said My Solo only has a red, white and yellow.  How do I substitute the Red, Blue and Green composite in place of to carry a High Def signal without there being an additional Red & White for the audio?