8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 26, 2011 10:32 AM by ranaleon Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Seems to be a waist of money.  Am I wrong?

Purchased the solo a year ago and have yet to get it to work anywhere but on my home network.  Like everyone else it freezes after 10 seconds.   Why would anyone pay $180 to watch tv on their mobile device if they're at home?   Save your money folks until they can figure out why their equipment doesn't work.  All we ever hear from support is "we're aware if it and are working to remedy the problem.".   Really?  That's the same answer I was given ONE YEAR AGO!!!!!!!!!

• Re: Seems to be a waist of money.  Am I wrong?
          jimfitzgerald Apprentice

Mine was not a "waste" of money.  It works fine on my laptop and Droid via WIFI or 3G anywhere I have a decent signal.

callanish Apprentice

My solo has been fine; using it remotely on a slingcatcher, pc and iphone since June 2009. Just sayin....not everyone has problems.

Of course they may be some exceptions, but from the people I talk too,  and even when I called sling tech, they said they don't know what the problem is.   I have a friend who is a manager at Best Buy and he says he gets more complaints on sling boxes than anything else.   I know of at least 5 friends with solos,  and none of them work off the home network.    This board had so many people complaining about it they actually closed the thread.    You guys just got lucky I guess. 

netserve

it took me months to get it going and i purchased slinglinks and netgear powerline but no go for months and hours wasted.  but i finally moved the solo next to router and now i love it.  i do worry that it is unprotected for power surges.  i also got classic on ebay that  was not listed as broken but missing power supply.  since there were several listed with no ac adapter.  i wondered why they were burning out.  i used my solo power supply to see it light up but did not work.  i went to radio shack to see if a universalo worked  i matched it but would not light up.  so do plan to purchase one for 20..0 from sling media to see if it works and resale.  but then again its not hd so may keep as a backup if my solo goes dead.  since i live in an area of lighting strikes.  the power has gone out twice since hooking up  but worry that with winter icing power outages are common.  but brown out during summer heat has me worried too..  i just wish these boxes had their own reset buttons or could be designed to use with surge protect5ors or line conditioners.  but i'm very pleased and love taking my laptop into bathroom for long soak in tub and watch tv

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

I bought my Slingbox Solo and SlingLink Turbo a few months ago at Best Buy.  It is the first Slingbox I have ever owned.  I brought it home and hooked it up per the instructions and everything worked perfectly.  I have a Charter HD cable box and CradlePoint MBR1000 router.  I then went to Radio Shack and bought some cable splitters and hooked up my ROKU using the S-video inputs.  It works perfectly also except the video leaves a little to be desired using the S-video cables.  Lastly, I downloaded the SlingPlayer app onto my Motorola Droid and it works perfectly also.  I'm not doubting that some people have problems, but I think it a much smaller percentage that you might think by viewing this site.  Most people who never have a problem are probably not posting on this site.

I hope your right,  I really do.  Maybe soon they will have a fix for those that don't work.   The main problem I had was when you pay the $30 support fee they say you can buy a replacement box for $100 which will most wont work either.   I just haven't had a good experience with it. All I wanted was what I paid for,   And now they want more money with no guarantee that box will work.  Funny thing is I'd pay it if I knew it would work.  

psidnell Newbie

How the sling box does what it does is intrinsically complex and prone to issues outside of their control.

It's got to:

• Operate in an unknown possibly misconfigured network.
                      • Operate over a huge range of bandwidth, and wildly fluctuating bandwidth at that outside the home.
                      • Work with 10's of thousands of devices via I.R. most of which are obsolete and that they can't test against.
                      • Run (client side) in a whole host of OS's/browsers and versions thereof, in various states of disrepair.
                      • Be installed by people (mostly) with no I.T. or electrical training.

All this is simply asking for trouble. I had some problems myself and I've worked in IT for decades.

The number of possible reasons why it "won't work" are almost innumerable and if you can't diagnose the issues yourself or don't have the experience to know where to look for help or what questions to ask then you're stuck.

I don't see any easy fixes here: the installation, setup and help is obviously imperfect but actually quite impressive considering what they're dealing with.

Having said all that now I've got mine working I can't imagine being without it and I think the Solo is pretty good value for money if you can get it to work.