24 Replies Latest reply: May 31, 2011 9:38 PM by revbobwood Branched to a new discussion. RSS

SPM on BB 9700 with OS 6

nittanyatl

The slingbox website currently states that SPM will work with BB 9700 with OS 5.0.0.0 and above.  Since OS 6 is above OS 5, can I assume that SPM currently runs on a BB 9700 with OS 6?

The reason for asking -- I don't want to upgrade to OS 6 if I would no longer be able to run SPM on my BB 9700.

• Re: SPM on BB 9700 with OS 6
          Apprentice

Hi, nittanyatl

If your Mobile device meets all the requirements, you should not have issues in order to get this application up and running on the BlackBerry Bold 9700 Mobile device. This link will provide you with the information to check.

Devices and Requirements

lmcjipo

I have a Blackberry Bold 9700 and I recently updated the OS from v5.0 to v6.0 and SlingPlayer Mobile 1.0.0.13 doesn't work on it. When my Blackberry Bold 9700 was running v5.0.x, SlingPlayer Mobile 1.0.0.13 was working fine.

The first problem is...

When I go into the SlingPlayer Mobile for Blackberry page on my Blackberry, it says that my device is not supported since the browser isn't identifying itself as a Blackberry.

According the Sling's website, it is identified as Mozilla/5.0 (Blackberry; U; BlackBerry 9700; en) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+ RPT-HTTPClient/0.3-2I)

The second problem is...

I found the direct link to download SlingPlayer Mobile 1.0.0.13 and it downloads and installs without any errors. I reboot my Blackberry. I'm able to log into my Sling account and it detects the Slingboxes registered on my account but when I select the Slingbox that I want to watch, I get "Connecting on Wi-Fi"..., "Starting on Wi-Fi"... it pauses for a few seconds (like it is streaming) and then goes to "Loading Favourites" and then I have the bar on the bottom and the upper portion of the screen where the video should play is black.

Any ideas?

Based on what I'm reading regarding the Bold 9780 and the Torch (neither of which SlingPlayer Mobile works with and both run by default v6.0), I believe that v6.0 is NOT supported even if it is on a supported hardware device such as the Bold 9700.

nittanyatl

In spite of the guidance that suggests SPM will work on a BB 9700 with os 6, I'm gonna hold off on installing os 6 until there are some real life examples of the SPM / OS6 combo working for people.

lmcjipo

Based on my recent experience as mentioned in my post above (I upgraded my Blackberry Bold 9700 from v5 to v6 about 2 days ago), it isn't compatible with OS 6 (and/or a Blackberry Bold 9700 running OS 6.0). When my Bold 9700 was running OS v5, SlingPlayer Mobile v1.0.0.13 was working without any issues so it isn't a hardware problem with my Bold 9700 beyond the incompatibility issue with OS v6 since that was the only thing that changed.

I've uninstalled/installed SlingPlayer Mobile 1.0.0.13 (and rebooted) and the program starts and connects to my Slingbox but I can't see/hear anything (although when I'm in front of my Slingbox, I do see the red light on my Slingbox that shows that there is a connection but nothing appears to be streaming).

DannyAves

I just upgraded my 9700 to OS 6 and I'm getting the same result. In fact the BlackBerry can control the Slingbox because you can change channels on the BlackBerry and see the channels change on the TV, but there is no video or sound.

mvienneau

I also have a 9700, which slingplayer mobile was running fine with OS5.  I upgraded to OS6 and now no video and no sound.  I tried to reinstall it and now it complains about the blackberry not being compatible anymore, based on the browser version!?

nittanyatl

I see that Sling has finally admitted (on the specs page for SPM for Blackberry) that SPM will not work with OS6.  So now that an official ATT version of OS 6 is available for my BB 9700, I won't be upgrading.

Re_maxman Newbie

I can confirm that I have had my 9700 working with OS 6 and SPM for over a week. About a week ago I couldnt login to my sling account with my BB. Then the next day I tried and not only did I login it worked. So I thought as usual it will **** out but it is still going. I'm with Bell in Canada so I use the apn pda.bell.com set in my blackberry settings and in my SPM settings. I have SPM 113 on my BB and my OS 6 is up to version 6.0.0.534. It works both on wifi and regular. They must have done something at Sling. Anyways I will enjoy it and if it ***** out I will repost.

revbobwood

I wonder if SLINGMEDIA was somehow unaware that RIM was going to release OS6.  We have been waiting for the release of OS6 for a long time, they have had plenty of time to create an update.  It appears that BB is not important to the people at SLING.