1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 13, 2011 4:12 PM by deluxdirt RSS

will slingbox work on the cruz reader?

deanobravo17

will the slingbox work on the cruz reader w/android?

• Re: will slingbox work on the cruz reader?
          deluxdirt

Yes it will; however, it requires reflashing the device, rooting it, and overclocking the cpu to make it work.  I have a video that demonstrates it running on my Velocity Cruz R103 Reader I purchased from Best Buy.  I have 2 of these devices and have tested it on both to confirm the install steps below.  Note: there are no guarantees, the forums are full of folks bricking their devices. I am a loyal Sling fan to the point of an addiction, having been a customer for years.  The reader as modified, with Slingplayer installed, offers a decent entertainment device for not a lot of $$$.

The Proof:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxoMXm1a0OM

The Procedures

My Hardware

1.  PC running Windows Vista x64
          2.  Velocity Micro Cruz R103 Reader
          3.  Slingbox Solo

Assumptions

1.  Android SDK is installed your PC and is operational (brief instructions are below to install)
          2.  You are working with the Cruz Reader, not the tablet
          3.  You understand you could brick your device and that I assume absolutely no liability for the below procedures.  They worked for me on 2 R103s purchased from Best Buy in December 2010.  The below was written as I performed the procedures on the 2nd device.  However, SDK setup was from memory, no guarantees.
          4.  The power cord is attached during the process, you do not want to run out of juice during the flashing or rooting.

Flashing the ROM

1.  Format your SD card.  In Windows, Start > Computer, right click on your SD card reader and click format. Use a FAT32 file sytem.  No quick format, erase everything on the card (precautionary format).
          2.  Download the factory ROM for the R103 from Velocity's support site onto your SD card:  http://cruzsupport.velocitymicro.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=5758.  Failure to install the factory ROM first may cause your device to hang on a white screen during the install of MachoCruz.
          3.  With your reader powered on, install the card in the reader and allow it to recognize the card. 
          4.  Power the unit off.
          5.  Hold down the up volume button.  While holding down the up volume button, press and hold down the power button.  Hold both buttons until both the Android guy and the progress bar show up and the progress bar begins to move.  Release both buttons and wait.
          6.  When the flash is complete, the device will reboot.
          7.  Once rebooted, remove the SD card.
          8.  Reformat your SD card as done in step 1.
          9.  Download the MachoCruz ROM to the SD card.  http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SMSBSAUI
          10.  If planning on installing Slingplayer, this is a convenient place to edit the build.prop before you install it.
          11.  With your reader powered on, install the card in the reader and allow it to recognize the card. 
          12.  Power the unit off.
          13.  Hold down the up volume button.  While holding down the up volume button, press and hold down the power button.  Hold both buttons until both the Android guy and the progress bar show up and the progress bar begins to move.  Release both buttons and wait.
          14.  When the flash is complete, the device will reboot.
          15.  Select Setup Wizard, all it to finish booting.
          15.  Remove the SD card.
          16.  Reformat your SD card as done in step 1 if you wish to transfer apps with it.
          17.  Calibrate your screen.

Rooting the Cruz and Editing the build.prop file (adds Android app store access and makes the app run when opened)

1.  Confirm your environment is correctly set on your PC.  Right click on Computer, select Properties.  Click Advanced System Settings.  In the Advanced Settings Tab, click Environmental Variables, scroll down to Path and make sure something like ;C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools;C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk-windows\tools is present at the end.  NOTE:  substitute C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\ with your installation path.
          2.  Open the Android SDK software on the PC.
          3.  Connect the USB cable to the reader.
          4.  Open a Windows Command window:  Start > Run; type cmd, hit Enter.
          5.  In the Command window; type cd / and hit Enter.
          6.  Type:  cd "Program Files (x86)\Android\andoid-sdk-windows\tools" (substitute your install path of android-sdk-windows\tools) hit Enter.
          7.  Type:  adb shell and hit Enter.  You should now see a # sign
          8.  Type:  mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system and hit Enter.
          9.  Type:  cat /system/bin/sh > /system/bin/su and hit Enter.
          10.  Type:  chmod 4755 /system/bin/su and hit Enter.
          11.  Type:  sync and hit Enter.
          12.  Type:  reboot and hit Enter.  Unplug the USB cable.
          13.  Once the device reboots, it will be rooted.
          14.  To make the Slingplayer work, the build.prop file must now be edited. Reconnect the USB cable.  Note: if the device is not recognized, disconnect, close/reopen SDK and reconnect the usb cable.
          15.  In the Command window; type cd / and hit Enter.
          16.  Type:  cd "Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk-windows\tools" (substitute your install path of android-sdk-windows\tools) hit Enter.
          17.  mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system and hit Enter.
          18.  Type exit hit Enter.
          18.  Type:  adb pull /system/build.prop build.prop (the file should copy over - 1499 bytes)
          19.  Using a text editor, such as Textpad, edit the copied build.prop file, which should be in the android-sdk-windows directory. Edit the line ro.kernel.android.checkjni=1 by changing the 1 to a 0.  The line should read ro.kernel.android.checkjni=0 when done.  Save the edited file in its current location and do not change the name.
          20.  Type:  adb push build.prop /system and hit Enter.  (the file should copy over - 1499 bytes)
          21.  Type:  adb shell and hit Enter.
          22.  Type:  cat /system/build.prop (confirm the edited line is as expected with a 0 at the end)
          23.  Type:  reboot and hit Enter.

Overclocking the CPU (helps with video quality)

1.  Download SetCPU to an SD card:  http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F5PK19P4
          2.  Install the application to the reader from the SD card.
          3.  Once installed, open the app.
          4.  Select:  Samsung Moment (ARM).
          5.  Follow the onscreen prompts.
          6.  Select Scaling for performance for max results.

Installing Slingplayer

1.  Download Slingplayer from the Android app store
          2.  Install the application to the reader.
          3.  Open the application.
          4.  Accept agreement.
          5.  Log into your Sling acct.

What is needed for Android SDK

1.  Download and Install Java SE SDK (32bit version) - http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html.  Note: even if you are running a 64bit OS, you will need the 32bit version for SDK.
          2.  Download and Install Android SDK - http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
          3.  Download and Install Cruz ADB Drivers - http://cruzsupport.velocitymicro.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=5758&task=knowledge&questionID=858.  Note: Velocity does a good job of walking you through the installation.
          4.  Set Environment Variable:  Right click on Computer, select Properties.  Click Advanced System Settings.  In the Advanced Settings Tab, click Environmental Variables at the bottom, scroll down to Path and add ;C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools;C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk-windows\tools is present at the end of the current string.  NOTE:  substitute C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\ with your installation path.  I'm running Vista x64 and allowed the app to install in the default location.

Who to thank:  The Slatedroid forum for flashing/rooting/overclocking, and my dependancy on my Slingbox for editing the build.prop file.  I Sling on desktops, laptops, netbooks, a Windows phone, and now on my Cruz reader.  I have been a Slingbox user for years now and advertise my complete satisfaction to everyone that asks what am I watching.

Hope this helps someone.